New vaccine

hollyjess

Well I am positive that there was nothing on our GP site yesterday but it says it was updated on 20th!!

When it says updated it has this amongst other useless stuff - no data/numbers.

"Please be aware that we are only able to invite and vaccinate groups 3 and onward once we have been given permission to do so by NHS England"

So they are only doing 80+ ???

8 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

Well I am positive that there was nothing on our GP site yesterday but it says it was updated on 20th!!

When it says updated it has this amongst other useless stuff - no data/numbers.

"Please be aware that we are only able to invite and vaccinate groups 3 and onward once we have been given permission to do so by NHS England"

So they are only doing 80+ ???

75+ 

1 minute ago, Aulanis said:

No  ?   they can ONLY INVITE group3  (75+)  when  given permission so that means they only have permission for groups 1 and 2.     At least that is how I read it.

Apologies! You’re right of course. There’s quite a variance in the information being provided, isn’t there? And it’s not helpful.

Here in the Newark area, we, at over 80 and over 90, have had letters from the NHS and swiftqueue over a week ago.  Registered with swiftqueue (as did a lot of younger people, so  they are swamped with enquiries).  I did not book, choosing to wait until contacted as DH can hardly walk and we need to go no further than our GP, or even have an at home visit.    Our GP is currently completely uncontactable anyway, no joy on logging in to their website, and they don't answer the phone when it is your 'turn'.  So somewhat in limbo.  In any case, no bookings at the Newark Showground available.

However, at present everything seems in a state of flux, with the arguments about the advisability of waiting 12 weeks for the second dose, and some of you saying you have not even got a further appointment date.  In spite of feeling frustrated, as many friends nearby have had their first dose, I will sit tight and wait to see what happens.  The whole situation is very unsatisfactory, though.

• Like 1

I received a text yesterday inviting me for a vaccination. In the text was a link to the booking system to choose a time so I am booked in tomorrow (Sat).

I am 79 and live in Warwickshire.

Got another text today reminding me of the booking.

All seems very efficient so far.

Brian

• Like 7

17 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Our local news channel has just said the same thing for Yorkshire, then they show parts of Yorkshire that haven't started vaccinating, talk about smoke and mirrors.

Since Frank got his letter yesterday to book his vaccination, I've been mulling over all the infomation that's been issued by the government, and I think your smoke and mirrors comment is true. The actual statement from Boris was 'that everyone over the age of 70 would be offered a vaccination by mid February' offered not given, and there's the problem.  Frank's 'offer 'was the closest vaccination hub at Leeds, then various ones in Cheshire and finally Stoke-on-Trent. With the vaccine supply in the North now being halved and diverted elsewhere I don't think Boris is too far off the mark when he said we could potentially still be in lockdown in the summer. It's all in the postcode😷

Avril

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

Since Frank got his letter yesterday to book his vaccination, I've been mulling over all the infomation that's been issued by the government, and I think your smoke and mirrors comment is true. The actual statement from Boris was 'that everyone over the age of 70 would be offered a vaccination by mid February' offered not given, and there's the problem.  Frank's 'offer 'was the closest vaccination hub at Leeds, then various ones in Cheshire and finally Stoke-on-Trent. With the vaccine supply in the North now being halved and diverted elsewhere I don't think Boris is too far off the mark when he said we could potentially still be in lockdown in the summer. It's all in the postcode😷

Avril

I don't see the point sending someone from Barnsley to Cheshire or Stoke, if your husband got vaccinated in Stoke is he a statistic in Yorkshire or West Midlands? However my offer still stands if you want to get him jabbed as soon as.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Avril, hopefully you may have a notification from your GP for Frank very shortly, and this could at a more local venue. We had a text each from our GP the day after we had the NHS letter. I did check this out via the online system and it was at a town centre hub, but the difference in mileage was minor, and the earliest appointment was a few days later, so we stayed with the first venue.

• Like 4

I’ve given up trying to work out the basis for rolling out the vaccine in this area. As I said before, my father has to make a 60 mile round trip for his, but my mother is having hers done in her surgery, same day (despite the fact that my dad is the vulnerable one and over 80). My eldest daughter just told me now that her boyfriend’s grandparents (both over 80 but living at home, about 30 miles from here in the other direction)  were both vaccinated at home yesterday. An ambulance car just landed on the farmyard with no warning at all and it was all done in 15 mins! It’s all very bewildering. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Hit the nail on the head there, Avril, and the use of the word offer has been discussed before. If you make an offer that can’t possibly be taken up, you’ll meet the target.

Many years ago, Hoover ran a free flights promotion which went badly wrong and did for the company in the UK. Still easily searchable online.

One of the stunts they pulled to try to get out of the hole was to offer flights from airports they knew customers couldn’t get to.

Same tactics here!

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Hit the nail on the head there, Avril, and the use of the word offer has been discussed before. If you make an offer that can’t possibly be taken up, you’ll meet the target.

Many years ago, Hoover ran a free flights promotion which went badly wrong and did for the company in the UK. Still easily searchable online.

One of the stunts they pulled to try to get out of the hole was to offer flights from airports they knew customers couldn’t get to.

Same tactics here!

I think Dermotsgirl was the first to raise that and looks like she may well have been right.

I remember that promotion - they expected a few applications and were overwhelmed. Never underestimate our love of a freebie.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AnnieC said:

I think Dermotsgirl was the first to raise that and looks like she may well have been right.

I remember that promotion - they expected a few applications and were overwhelmed. Never underestimate our love of a freebie.

The Mail did the same thing with the £10 cruise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Same tactics here!

You can't force people to be vaccinated, hence the word offered. This vaccination programme is leading the field. Continual criticism. Won't help and it is nothing whatsoever to do with hoover. They are trying to protect you from death as soon as they can.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I don't see the point sending someone from Barnsley to Cheshire or Stoke, if your husband got vaccinated in Stoke is he a statistic in Yorkshire or West Midlands? However my offer still stands if you want to get him jabbed as soon as.

Thank you again Phil, but we haven't changed our minds. We think the centres being offered are best left for the people who live closer to them. 

Avril

27 minutes ago, zap99 said:

You can't force people to be vaccinated, hence the word offered. This vaccination programme is leading the field. Continual criticism. Won't help and it is nothing whatsoever to do with hoover. They are trying to protect you from death as soon as they can.

If it weren’t for the fact that there are now so many reports of people over 80 being offered locations they plainly can’t get to, and which it must be known they can’t get to, perhaps I’d agree. As a leading statistician pointed out the other day though, the government ‘does have form’ on manipulating statistics.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

If it weren’t for the fact that there are now so many reports of people over 80 being offered locations they plainly can’t get to, and which it must be known they can’t get to, perhaps I’d agree. As a leading statistician pointed out the other day though, the government ‘does have form’ on manipulating statistics.

Credit where credit is due in this case wouldn't harm. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

The Mail did the same thing with the £10 cruise.

Would that be when dear old Mumsie was dancing around the house in 1984 yelling ...

"We have won the Sun Newspaper Bingo  Jackpot !! "    :classic_unsure:  With 1,000s more people .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

Here in the Nottingham area we seem to be doing fairly well with 7 hubs around the county accessible through the Switfqueue web link.

Until earlier this week all hubs were calling for the over-80's to register and book an appointment. It changed on Wednesday, I believe, and the hubs were requesting the over-75's to book appointments.

I had a look yesterday morning and there were appointments available at several hubs for the over-75's including the one about 10 miles away (nearest to home). When I looked again last night there were no appointments showing anywhere.

This morning my wife and I got our NHS letter (over-75 group). I had a look at the Swiftqueue website and the hubs were now back to calling for over-80's. Then our local news at lunchtime reported that Nottingham were rolling back on the over-75 vaccinations because of the issue with completing the over-80's quota. I think this is a reflection of the national news report last night that some areas of the country were well behind others with their vaccine programme.

I suspect that doses may be being diverted from areas with a high percentage success to those that are lagging behind.

I will keep checking to see what develops but hopefully things will pan out OK in the next few weeks 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

My friend, who is a carer, and her 94 year old Mother had their jabs yesterday, straight in, jab and out.. no 15 minutes sit down to make sure all ok.   Is this allowed.. I thought the 15 minutes was mandatory, but am probably wrong.

IIRC, the 15 minute wait only related to the Pfizer vaccine.

3 hours ago, Aulanis said:

No  ?   they can ONLY INVITE group3  (75+)  when  given permission so that means they only have permission for groups 1 and 2.     At least that is how I read it.

They have been vaccinating 75+ up here for a week or 2.

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Same tactics here!

I remember this promotion well.☹️

24 minutes ago, arlowood said:

Here in the Nottingham area we seem to be doing fairly well with 7 hubs around the county accessible through the Switfqueue web link.

Until earlier this week all hubs were calling for the over-80's to register and book an appointment. It changed on Wednesday, I believe, and the hubs were requesting the over-75's to book appointments.

I had a look yesterday morning and there were appointments available at several hubs for the over-75's including the one about 10 miles away (nearest to home). When I looked again last night there were no appointments showing anywhere.

This morning my wife and I got our NHS letter (over-75 group). I had a look at the Swiftqueue website and the hubs were now back to calling for over-80's. Then our local news at lunchtime reported that Nottingham were rolling back on the over-75 vaccinations because of the issue with completing the over-80's quota. I think this is a reflection of the national news report last night that some areas of the country were well behind others with their vaccine programme.

I suspect that doses may be being diverted from areas with a high percentage success to those that are lagging behind.

I will keep checking to see what develops but hopefully things will pan out OK in the next few weeks 

I am sure supplies of the vaccine are going to parts of the country that hasn’t yet received any. Where I live in rural area of West Sussex our surgery is still awaiting their first supply of the vaccine. Luckily with the help of our MP our over 80s are getting vaccinated at another surgery 7 or 8 miles away today and tomorrow. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I am sure supplies of the vaccine are going to parts of the country that hasn’t yet received any. Where I live in rural area of West Sussex our surgery is still awaiting their first supply of the vaccine. Luckily with the help of our MP our over 80s are getting vaccinated at another surgery 7 or 8 miles away today and tomorrow. 

That's my understanding - certainly here in the east, we're lagging behind due to lack of vaccine. With a programme like this there are bound to be hiccups, and they just seem to be righting some wrongs. 

• Like 1