New vaccine

hollyjess

Was it yesterday when I read or was it on the BBC that the Oxford vaccine participants who got COVID included those who were asymptomatic but the Pfizer and Modena trials did not for some reason.

This is confusing but may be important if it turns out that the reports are true because it would mean the Pfizer/Modena %ages might be wrong

11 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Was it yesterday when I read or was it on the BBC that the Oxford vaccine participants who got COVID included those who were asymptomatic but the Pfizer and Modena trials did not for some reason.

This is confusing but may be important if it turns out that the reports are true because it would mean the Pfizer/Modena %ages might be wrong

The Oxford trial swabbed all of its participants regularly, so did pick up asymptomatic cases. The pfizer/moderna trial only picked up infections when the participants had reported symptoms. So yes, it could change the results somewhat and it turn out that Oxford is better than it currently seems to be.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

The Oxford trial swabbed all of its participants regularly, so did pick up asymptomatic cases. The pfizer/moderna trial only picked up infections when the participants had reported symptoms. So yes, it could change the results somewhat and it turn out that Oxford is better than it currently seems to be.

And conversely that the Pfizer/Moderna figures are too high.

10 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Thanks, a pity I can't remember where I read it

Maybe it does not matter if you get an asymptomatic infection if it does not kill you

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

Thanks, a pity I can't remember where I read it

Maybe it does not matter if you get an asymptomatic infection if it does not kill you

We could debate this one to death, problem being is we do not know what the effects of long covid are and how/if they will affect age groups in the future. Viruses can lie dormant in the body for many years.

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

The evening standard thinks the Oxford vaccine could be approved by the MRHS by Xmas. Really unless you are in charge of the MRHS, everyone else is just guessing.

Think you mean MHRA, not sure a Member of the Royal Horticultural Society would be approving vaccine, 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/7/2020 at 3:58 PM, zap99 said:

Yea, right. What's your friend's name ?. Bjork is an Icelandic Lady who sings like a little angel. She is also the only Icelandic artist that I know....

You've never heard of Fire Saga? 😄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Is there anybody there who, like me, has allergies to some drugs and foodstuffs (and the flu vaccine)?  Are you disappointed that you will not be having one for some time, probably?

The flip side is that unfortunately some of those who are anti-vaxx will make 'allergies' an excuse not to have it, of course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lincslady said:

Is there anybody there who, like me, has allergies to some drugs and foodstuffs (and the flu vaccine)?  Are you disappointed that you will not be having one for some time, probably?

The flip side is that unfortunately some of those who are anti-vaxx will make 'allergies' an excuse not to have it, of course.

I'm really disappointed too as I am allergic to Penicillan and I am immunosuppressed which may be a contra indication as well so double whammy! I need a cruise!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

4 hours ago, ann141 said:

I'm really disappointed too as I am allergic to Penicillan and I am immunosuppressed which may be a contra indication as well so double whammy! I need a cruise!!

Interesting points, both. I’m allergic to only one drug (that I’m aware of) and immunosuppressed, but all the advice I’ve pulled together tells me that they’re all going to be safe to use. How effective, for the immunosuppressed though, is still in doubt.

My wife has a serious potentially life threatening allergy to a fish that’s commonly served now.  Again, though, she and I don’t see that as preventing vaccination. Flu vaccines haven’t been an issue though.

These are very much personal decisions though. What’s right for one may well be wrong for another.

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Interesting points, both. I’m allergic to only one drug (that I’m aware of) and immunosuppressed, but all the advice I’ve pulled together tells me that they’re all going to be safe to use. How effective, for the immunosuppressed though, is still in doubt.

My wife has a serious potentially life threatening allergy to a fish that’s commonly served now.  Again, though, she and I don’t see that as preventing vaccination. Flu vaccines haven’t been an issue though.

These are very much personal decisions though. What’s right for one may well be wrong for another.

I agree.I shall discuss it with my GP when the time comes and hope she will advise me to have the vaccination.I am only allergic to Penicillin and as the Covid vaccine isn't a live vaccine hopefully that will be ok too.

• Like 1

I was told 60 years ago as a 4 year old child that I was allergic to Penicillin but have recently been reading up on this which makes interesting reading and I am considering getting an allergy test done for Penicillin.

I had no reactions to my flu jab or pneumonia jab over 8 weeks ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I was told 60 years ago as a 4 year old child that I was allergic to Penicillin but have recently been reading up on this which makes interesting reading and I am considering getting an allergy test done for Penicillin.

I had no reactions to my flu jab or pneumonia jab over 8 weeks ago.

I was told that I was allergic to Penicillin from childhood, so avoided it for decades, but have had amoxicillin (which I think contains it?) several times over the last 10 years or so and had no reaction to it at all, so I don’t say that I’m allergic to it anymore. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I was told that I was allergic to Penicillin from childhood, so avoided it for decades, but have had amoxicillin (which I think contains it?) several times over the last 10 years or so and had no reaction to it at all, so I don’t say that I’m allergic to it anymore. 

Thanks for sharing Selbourne, I'm pleased for you.

Did you get an allergy test for penicillin? Amoxicillin is a stronger version but is penicillin.

What made your doctor prescribe amoxicillin if you were allergic to penicillin.

28 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Did you get an allergy test for penicillin? Amoxicillin is a stronger version but is penicillin.

Some years ago my wife developed a rash after a course of penicillin - nothing serious - but she mentioned it to her GP, who put a note on her file,  and on the very, very few occasions when she has subsequently needed antibiotics, she has been prescribed Amoxicillin with no side effects st all.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

No, I didn’t get an allergy test. Like you, I had a reaction to Penicillin as a very young child (or so it was thought) and my parents were therefore told that I was allergic to it. I can’t recall the precise reason why I first had amoxicillin as an adult, but from vague memory I don’t think my medical record actually stated the supposed allergy to penicillin. I suspect that I either didn’t make the link between the two or felt so poorly that I thought it was worth the risk! I don’t understand the science behind these things, so can only speculate that perhaps you can ‘grow out of’ childhood allergies or maybe back in the 60’s they just made an assumption about an allergy rather than specifically test for it?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

No, I didn’t get an allergy test. Like you, I had a reaction to Penicillin as a very young child (or so it was thought) and my parents were therefore told that I was allergic to it. I can’t recall the precise reason why I first had amoxicillin as an adult, but from vague memory I don’t think my medical record actually stated the supposed allergy to penicillin. I suspect that I either didn’t make the link between the two or felt so poorly that I thought it was worth the risk! I don’t understand the science behind these things, so can only speculate that perhaps you can ‘grow out of’ childhood allergies or maybe back in the 60’s they just made an assumption about an allergy rather than specifically test for it?

Thanks Selbourne.

I was reading about penicillin and a few points were interesting.

1 only 10% of people who think they are allergic to penicillin actually are.

2 If it is more than 10 years since you had penicillin you might not get an allergic reaction.

Like you I was a young child 60 years ago and surprised my doctor's since never suggested Amoxicillin.

19 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Selbourne.

I was reading about penicillin and a few points were interesting.

1 only 10% of people who think they are allergic to penicillin actually are.

2 If it is more than 10 years since you had penicillin you might not get an allergic reaction.

Like you I was a young child 60 years ago and surprised my doctor's since never suggested Amoxicillin.

I am the opposite to you and Selbourne in that I only developed an allergy to Penicillin in the last few years (I hadn't realised that this was possible but apparently it is!)I am not convinced I definitely am allergic but I developed a rash soon after taking it so it has been recorded on my notes.My dentist was saying it would be interesting to test to see if I really was allergic to Penicillan by prescribing a very small dose but when I mentioned this to a dentist at the dental hospital he was horrified and said that even though I had only had a rash, another dose(however small) might produce an Anaphylatic shock so I haven't discussed it with my GP! Fortunately I have not needed antibiotics since my skin rash so don't know if I would be prescribed Amoxicillan or not.I think at the moment the advice is that it is only if you have an allergy that requires you to carry an epipen with you that you shouldn't have the vaccine

• Like 1

Don't believe everything you are told as a child... 

Apparently the ice cream man has NOT run out of ice cream when his tune plays... 

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Don't believe everything you are told as a child... 

Apparently the ice cream man has NOT run out of ice cream when his tune plays... 

Andy 

And that large money box in the cupboard under the stairs with pipes and wires coming out of it - the one where you put your money in and turned the key thing to drop the coin in. 

I never did manage to get it open when I wanted my pocket money out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just though.

Lots of parents in the 60s avoided their children having certain antibiotics when young as some of them discoloured newly formed adult teeth. I don’t think penicillin was one of them actually but people got spooked about antibiotics anyway.

Even in the days before social media these stories made the rounds when someone saw someone else’s child with yellow teeth. The colour could be quite marked so scary for other parents to see.