River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I never had a 7, but my 13 Pro is miles above the results I could get with a 6.  Three lenses means never having to use the 'digital zoom.'  My Lumix FZ1000 MkII is still better, but the best sunset pictures I got was through the tinted window of the minivan!  [OK, the colors may have been fake, but they were much more saturated than with the naked eye...]

Dear wife just went from a cell phone camera with a single lens to one with 3:  wide angle (default), telephoto, and ultra wide.  She thought that she would appreciate the telephoto the most (as was stated, less pixelation), but surprisingly she loved the ultra wide angle, for landscape shots and city shots, not having to keep backing up was nice.

My husband gave me my Cannon wide angle for Christmas just before our last cruise and although I have my paparazzi lens I rarely use anything but the wide angle now, the quality is so good you can if you want pick out from the image. I do like to play with my macro lens I wonder if the iPhone is any good in that area. 

jazz that’s cheating but in a good way.

Edited by Canal archive

I just read the attached in a travel newsfeed and thought some here might find it interesting. 

France and Ireland announce new combined ferry and train tickets 

As an American, I'm already constantly envious of how easy it is to travel between European countries. Now, France and Ireland have announced plans to make travel between the two countries easier by launching a combined train and ferry ticket. Way to rub it in. 

In an effort to promote "green mobility" between France and Ireland, the French and Irish governments are launching a single ticket in the summer of 2023 that can be used for flight-free travel in both countries. 

At the moment, passengers traveling between Ireland and France must purchase individual tickets for the French trains, Irish trains, and ferry legs of the journey. These tickets can be booked on the two countries’ national rail websites.

Through the new Ireland-France pass, travelers can purchase just one ticket that will cover all three modes of transportation.

The Franco-Irish initiative is still in its infancy, but it is anticipated to be very similar to the Franco-German ticket, which offers young people discounts on trains between France and Germany. More details on the Franco-Irish initiative will be released in January 2023.

In a push toward greener travel, France and Ireland follow the lead of countries like Portugal in announcing a high-speed rail and new European Sleepers that connect Brussels to Prague via Amsterdam and Berlin.

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022/11/28/flight-free-travel-france-and-ireland-announce-new-combined-train-and-ferry-tickets

CPTtrips that got me thinking I’m pretty sure in my youth (oh so long ago) there was a way of travelling across Europe including Ireland and the U.K. with no hindrances at all. It was something like carte blu, I will have to search my European travel stuff, because I think we used the system when we cruised Europe on our Lambretta’s.

On 11/29/2022 at 9:15 PM, Canal archive said:

My eldest daughter interailed between her end of senior school and starting university but that was train travel. Never tried it  just used my scooter.

I seem to remember the Interrail ticket contains a couple of ferry connections. But we are talking about two different things if I understand you correctly.

9 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Notamermaid- steamboats and all our German friends, I’ve watched it and watched at full speed and slow-mo, you were most definitely robbed!

Thank you for thinking of us. As I do not watch German television I had not heard before you mentioned it.

It is a cold day today and there is a feeling of frost in the air and in the bones. Conditions will be icy overnight. The rain has stopped in the valleys so probably no snow in the West. The East of Germany has seen snow today. Next weekend is forecast to bring quite a bit of snow even to the valleys.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Schneeeee!!!!! (excited notamermaid running through the flat smiling)

It has been snowing. When I went to bed last night, the rain sounded different, kind of icy drops on leaves. When I got up the landscape was covered with a dusting of snow. Which means the snow had reached right into the valley where it was apparently cold enough. I mean 60 to 70 metres above sea level. Much of it is gone again around here in town already but I managed to take a couple of photos.

Busy Friday and Saturday - still stepping in for a colleague. Unfortunate illnesses and even an accident have hit my department this winter.

Catching up with stuff and Christmas preparations. My outside fairy lights chain has "disappeared", something I can only blame on myself or kobolds reorganizing my cellar (it is of course the former...).

My neighbour, a young man, is still recovering from his terrible fall, he just fell over in the street, collapsed. I dare not ask what happened in detail, he looks miserable. It happened at the end of September. Shortly after that, another neighbour was found dead in her flat, she was not young but no very old either. A shock. The family thinks it was asthma. And my other neighbour who fell down the stairs (I had mentioned it in September) has recovered but cannot return to the flat. She has now officially moved into an old people's home.

I miss my neighbour's cats who died in Spring. So before I make everyone else morose, I will say that the mince pies have arrived by post and yesterday I got my first "Gewürzkuchen" of the season, a chocolatey spice cake, at a village bakery.

Now join in with Bing Crosby: "Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!" - Oh hang on it has snowed!

:classic_biggrin:

notamermaid

• Like 3

Now that will the snow certainly upset my grandson but on the lighter side I’ve just finished a Christmas baking session - mince pies with Black Forest tasting mince meat next is straight forward mince pies then sausage rolls no more as the kids have decided to take over this year ohh yes have pickled the quails eggs. It has been suggested that I can now put my feet up! Fat chance.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Now that will the snow certainly upset my grandson

I think snow is coming to the North of England, the forecast certainly said Scotland. We will see more snow Thursday to Sunday, depending on region.

6 hours ago, Canal archive said:

mince pies with Black Forest tasting mince meat

I did not know that existed, interesting. Have only ever made normal mince pies. I have tried filling that contained orange or cranberry from shops, but I have only bought standard ones this year.

notamermaid

We have actual real snow, how exciting - to watch from the window but kids and dogs are loving it

image.thumb.jpeg.94290048600325136bdef1fc9b23530e.jpeg

I know it’s not a lot as other countries and the snow angels would be a bit wimpy but we haven’t seen any of any depth for some time around here.

Edited by Canal archive
  • Like 3

Lovely. @Canal archive you have had more snow than us today. But the cold weather is coming to us from the West and Northwest. Winter is finally here and we can expect your weather to be with us in two days or so.

I have been busy putting up with minor inconveniences like a computer problem at work, partly due to my ignorance using a new software. A tiny thing that took me half an hour to sort it all out. A builder accidentally hit a pipe the other day so that now we have a long trench in our yard. If it freezes for too long the hole could stay for quite a few days. A problem with the car meant that I am stuck here today and had to cancel my trip to a Christmas market. Which makes me a bit grumpy. My employer is still owing me overtime pay and heating the flat is becoming more expensive. But my contract means the rate is nowhere near as high as other people's and cheaper than what most of you pay in the UK I should think.

Overall people are jolly and smile. Apart from a few masks and the odd hint at the situation with remarks like "stay in good health" Covid has been banished from conversation it seems. Of course we still get info sheets about vaccines and still have the odd testing center. But I have heard today that Denmark is supposed to have ended the pandemic emergency matters for the whole country. The forerunner, I mean leading the way in Europe? Not sure as I do not follow the news really.

Have had a hot chocolate and will move onto putting more Christmas decorations up. Presents need wrapping and more need ordering. Hope to get the car sorted next week to be able to do a big shopping trip.

I miss English supermarkets and mad as I am I will go and search for you tube videos of a supermarket full of Christmas decorations and blasting music.

Have a great third Sunday Advent evening. 🕯️🕯️🕯️

notamermaid

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Daisi said:

We're getting our first bit today as well...expecting about 3cm. Hopefully it sticks around, just doesn't feel like Christmas without snow.

You’re a fair bit farther north than I am. Any snow we get here in Toronto on this date (and we had light flurries this morning), almost never lasts until Christmas. We almost never go 2 weeks without a thaw. 

Had a comment about football from my friend in Charlotte NC. Having lived in Germany he actually follows the World Cup. Opinions were divided among my friends and family as to over who should win England vs. France. The disappointed comments were as a result divided correspondingly... And I am not saying who my friend in Charlotte supported. He is in good spirits @TheKingD and I look forward to receiving a Christmas card from him. He usually sends one with a gorgeous holiday ("wow, he has been to another magnificent landscape") shot while he receives one from here with a German writing and baubles photo or other depictions - meaning traditional.

notamermaid

• Like 1

We have so many sporting events to follow in this area, with college football (US football) and college basketball, so the World Cup has a lot of competition in this area.  @notamermaid, I'm glad your friend in Charlotte NC is in good spirits, and I think many people here are in better spirits than we have been for a couple of years.  More and more people are going all out with their Christmas lights in their yards.  Our display is much more traditional, and here are a couple of photos - not really good quality, but the sentiment is good!

Our weather has been all over, with some days warm and some days colder, but we rarely have snow for Christmas.  I'm a bit envious of those of you who do, even though a little would go a long way!

Snowman and Angels.jpg

Nativity Scene.jpg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

You’re a fair bit farther north than I am. Any snow we get here in Toronto on this date (and we had light flurries this morning), almost never lasts until Christmas. We almost never go 2 weeks without a thaw. 

Yeah, we used to say we were going "south" for holidays, and head down your way - Burlington & Niagara Falls. 🙂 I hear there is rain coming your way, but for us, looks like temps mostly below 0, and just snow until Christmas. Crossing fingers!  Hopefully it will be 1/2 way nice some night to take a tour to go view the lights now we have snow.

• Like 1

Our youngest daughters dog is an English Pointer rescued from Spain she was very nervous but is now getting better and better today was her very first snow encounter. It involved a lot of barking licking paws and needing just a few cuddles. According to my grandson she has now completely worn herself out learning how to play with it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jpalbny said:

We are going to London for Christmas. Just two days, the 24th and 25th. I'll send pics for you, @notamermaid, unless it will just make you miss it even more.

That is very kind of you. Do not go to too much trouble but if you feel giving us at the water cooler a few minutes of your time then I would like to see photos. And I am sure others will appreciate them, too. :classic_smile:

I have never spent Christmas in London but have been there either before or just after Christmas. Great times. One of my favourite photos of winter in England is Canterbury Cathedral photographed through Cathedral Gate one December. I posted it last year and it made me so happy that I printed it out and hung it on my kitchen wall - where it still is.

notamermaid

• Like 2

Well, looks like a white Christmas for us, our 3cm turned into 11! Managed to get a couple of shots out before all the animals got going and made to many tracks. The two little red squirrels were very happy we shoveled the balcony off before feeding them! 🙂

IMG_7107.JPG

IMG_7108.JPG

• Like 6

@Daisi We have been trying to catch up with you with snowfall today. Will never match Canada but we had about 8cm today. It was adorable. I went to the river and took photos of barges. No river cruise ship unfortunately.

Opened the window this morning and my cry of astonishment and delight, to my embarrassment, could probably be heard down the street.

I found some cheap Christmassy embellishments for my long hair in the supermarket and they even had the antlers like you se some English checkout assistants wearing. I will wear the stuff for my hair at work. I may even put my Christmas jumper on again when I am sure the boss is not looking.

notamermaid

• Like 3

@notamermaid, they are calling for between 25-35 cm starting Thursday night and ending Saturday. I am happy, love the snow ( as long as I don't have to shovel it 🙂). Now come New Years, I'll be happy for it to go away, but somehow that never seems to happen.

Enjoy the snow, throw a snowball, build a snowman and have fun.

• Like 2