River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

19 hours ago, notamermaid said:

That name is certainly a bit more "inventive" than our Schweinsöhrchen, which are not dried pigs' ears, but sweet slightly flaky bakery stuff half dipped in chocolate (there is a boring version without chocolate occasionally at shops).

Cinnamon whirls we have, they are called Zimtschnecken.

notamermaid

Ahh.. .Papillons!  My favourite cookie (glad they are expensive, makes them a treat I only get once in a while so not to bad on the diet).  I've never seen them dipped in Chocolate, but that looks like a great idea. 

Zimtschnecken are what we call cinnamon rolls... best with cream cheese icing, and no raisins. 🙂

Papillons? Hmm, never thought this looks like a butterfly, but I can see it now. Dr Oetker has got a German recipe online, perhaps it exists in English? But then, you can just look for papillons (if it is not in a cookery book). Here is the recipe for small ones, the bakery shop ones are at least three times the size: https://www.oetker.de/rezepte/r/klassische-schweinsoehrchen

I must admit I am not a fan of cinnamon rolls, with or without raisins. For me, a treat are almond little horns (Mandelhörnchen), expensive indulgence: https://mygerman.recipes/almond-crescents-almond-horns/

I would not use almonds like that in this recipe, I prefer them properly sliced like from a mandoline and without the brown skin.

notamermaid

@notamermaid, I am so glad your friend was able to visit with you and others.  It has seemed like all of us are longing for a connection with loved ones these days. I know your part of the world is especially beautiful in the fall season, and North Carolina is really gorgeous too - from the coast to the mountains.  I hope he has a chance to travel some close by where he could take a quick road trip for a change of scenery.  🙂

• 2 weeks later...

@TheKingD Thank you, I am sure my friend will have a good autumn at home, enjoying the colours in nature in the Carolinas. Would like to see some nature on the East coast. I never care for American skyscrapers but the New England architecture and landscape I would like to see. I never actually realised how far down you are in terms of latitude in Carolina, it is like Northern Spain.

Today is our big day for democracy. @Canal archive the BBC is doing a three hour special on Germany today, weird for me, but it really seems all eyes are on us today. Well, I am off to put crosses on paper and a password into the computer at work for a few hours, working weekend as tourism is back and my colleague away.

But before I go: it is Federweisser season 🍷! Although the red variety is rare. Federweisser means feather white(r). It still ferments in the bottle, that is why such a bottle is never corked, store it upright at all times, the smell in the car if one accidentally tips over is quite strong 😉. Available in shops and wine taverns along German and other European rivers. Be careful of the amount you drink, it is deceptive and makes you feel light as a feather in your head faster than you think 😀.

Cheers!

notamermaid

• Like 2

Must be BBC foreign or World Service although I must say for once the news feeds are explaining how your voting and parliamentary system works which is quite interesting. 
I to am a fan of New England architecture especially the colours, we moored up in Bristol harbour once opposite the SS Great Britain and because of the colours the houses were painted it had a slight flavour oh and the weather just happened to be superb.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

But before I go: it is Federweisser season 🍷! Although the red variety is rare. Federweisser means feather white(r). It still ferments in the bottle, that is why such a bottle is never corked, store it upright at all times, the smell in the car if one accidentally tips over is quite strong 😉. Available in shops and wine taverns along German and other European rivers. Be careful of the amount you drink, it is deceptive and makes you feel light as a feather in your head faster than you think 😀.

Cheers!

notamermaid

Und Zwiebel Kuchen!

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

In the Finger Lakes region of Central New York there is a Heuriger where something similar to this is served. IIRC they called it "Sturmwien" because its cloudy appearance.

@Canal archive you are right, sorry, it is of course BBC World Service, Ros Atkins is doing it. The sun has set over our country, but really only in the basic sense that it is nighttime. It was a good day for river cruising in Germany and with a new dawn comes a new chancellor and another good day for river cruising. As the political analyst on the BBC said "change only with a small c".

I watched a tourism webinar yesterday and was glad to read that UK people (according to a survey) still want to come to Germany for a holiday, a favoured country, a big role plays the safety and the fact that they tend to choose these days what is familiar to them (a few castles and alluring cities help). Also river cruising remains very popular.

So, in the absence of Federweisser and Zwiebelkuchen - @rcaruso mentions the classic combination - I have finished a salad and chicken dinner and settled down on the sofa with a glass of red wine.

notamermaid

• Like 2

Missing Corsica. But the wine brings us back.

20210926_173415.thumb.jpg.82eb2f6d216ea9371ca09f3e1b8f7156.jpg

It was a lighter red, but full-bodied. 2018 vintage, 100% Sciaccarellu, and aged in stainless steel so lots of cherry flavor came through. Went well with dinner.

20210926_171408.thumb.jpg.b1bb735983784e4b4eb0edccc8c82aeb.jpg

We have 11 more bottles.to try now. 

• Like 1

Notamermaid-  Here are some pictures from NY, so East Coast, but inland.

From the Adirondacks.

IMG_2499.thumb.jpg.d8b94f0be731e42c5bfcbfebcca44a2b.jpg

IMG_2505.thumb.jpg.50eca2bc617b68d2b11bd5012d2927ab.jpg

IMG_2494.thumb.jpg.efc0245f5f4a80aff13c16ae202af8f7.jpg

To the Pennsylvania border, 'Rock City'.

44.jpg.3c8571c1e4964f4a2d453ee8ea8b5831.jpg

76.jpg.b9f5f5f5ac5184d9bd1d4efc0bc56512.jpg

99.jpg.24fe8e5935001e85f5ca6992558839d8.jpg

and Kinzau Reservoir in Northwest PA.

23.jpg.f2e6545f56d0bc3a3c7cf87aa87398d6.jpg

And my 4 friends from nearby Adams, NY.

h2.thumb.jpg.dfb90616e6a7f36a2bb8c9a5f29ec160.jpg

Enjoy Fall!

thumbnail_IMG_2508.thumb.jpg.718a37556a1a07ec2b803c08531a2c3b.jpg

He's only lost the foot in 250 miles, so doing good.  Bob told me he didn't even feel it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Rock City looks very much like the Muir of Dinnet near Ballater in Scotland.

They're 'pudding stone', or Conglomerate rock.  Looks like concrete, and then the softer particles got washed away in the various ice ages.  Really neat area.

Thanks for giving me another place to check out.  We've stayed at Grantown on Spey and Dunkeld, loved them both, and your spot is kinds in between them, so has been added to Maps.  Both kids/spouse have stated that Scotland needs to be high on the return list...maybe even before Ireland, so that's saying a lot.

22 hours ago, jpalbny said:

In the Finger Lakes region of Central New York there is a Heuriger where something similar to this is served. IIRC they called it "Sturmwien" because its cloudy appearance.

Ah, yes. Sturm or Sturmwein is apparently a typical word in some German-speaking realms in Europe. Interesting that the word Heuriger is used in your region, it is Austrian, we say "Straußwirtschaft".

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Ah, yes. Sturm or Sturmwein is apparently a typical word in some German-speaking realms in Europe. Interesting that the word Heuriger is used in your region, it is Austrian, we say "Straußwirtschaft".

notamermaid

http://www.danosonseneca.com/

The chef who founded the Heuriger had lived in Vienna for a number of years. So that's why he gave it an Austrian name I assume? Great place. Haven't been since before covid. 

On 9/27/2021 at 4:50 PM, jpalbny said:

http://www.danosonseneca.com/

The chef who founded the Heuriger had lived in Vienna for a number of years. So that's why he gave it an Austrian name I assume? Great place. Haven't been since before covid. 

I think that explains the Austrian term. I really like that ham with mustard dish you made, but I would swap the Brussels sprouts with something else till into December.

On Sunday I enjoyed my glass of red wine, it was an Argentinian malbec. Fruity and full-bodied, really pleasant.

Got some more of the vineyard peaches, I am thinking of freezing them, not sure if they are suitable, though.

notamermaid

On 9/17/2021 at 10:17 AM, notamermaid said:

@TheKingD Remember "my friend from Charlotte"? You kindly asked after his welfare last year and I said earlier this year that he would be over for a visit. He managed to come across in August and visit dear people in the Rhineland and we were able to meet briefly. He is in good spirits, although I suspect a constant tiny longing for Europe shall remain as an "undercurrent" in his life.

Right, more food! It is the season for Weinbergpfirsiche. They are small peaches, mostly grown along the Moselle and I have written about them a couple of times in the Moselle thread. I do not see them that often in greengrocers, but found some nice specimen the other day. This the roter Weinbergpfirsich, next to a standard European (big) peach:

DSCN3654.thumb.JPG.c68703de71584d1a8ad8954cfbd2eac6.JPG

It has a skin that feels a bit like felt or a bit furry and its flesh looks like this:

DSCN3655.thumb.JPG.1ef6d1b4d18d2c96ff88f6aaab261046.JPG

It is not such a common tree and fruit, but there is a local producer on the Moselle that surprisingly only grows this fruit. They are called Pitsch & Söhne in Kail, between Eltz Castle and Cochem. Should you happen to be in the area... They also have a shop:https://weinbergpfirsich.com/shop/

Right, I am off to have a peach. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

@notamermaid I missed this post earlier but I still have to comment,

On our last Moselle cruise we learned about these peaches. In one of the local shops I saw they had schnapps made from the red peaches (I enjoy good German schnapps!) so I had to buy a bottle to take home to Texas. Delicious.

This past Sunday I tried making wienerschnitzel for the first time. Obviously I had to enjoy some schnapps too and I pulled out this bottle. The schnitzel wasn't too bad but the schnapps was excellent. 😉

Paul

Schnapps Bottle.jpg

Schnapps Label.jpg

Bottle.jpg

Label.jpg

Bottle.jpg

Bottle.jpg

Bottle.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks, @notamermaid. The best part is that I have a bunch left to make sandwiches. Just had one for lunch. Delicious! 

Nice pix, @ural guy! We visited that area a year ago. Went to similar places. Panama Rocks was a nice site, as was Rock City. Really liked that in Rock City, you could stand on top of the rocks, with a beautiful panoramic view, and also get down below and between the rocks. 

Have you stopped at the Kinzua Bridge State Park? Fascinating. 

So much to see around here.

12 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

No worries. Just a nice portrait set of a beautiful bottle. Cheers!

Yes, that bottle is taking centre stage, as good drink should. :classic_smile:@Wings55 nice to hear that is a good schnaps. From a small town called Ernst, I can see. The place does not have an English website, but does mention having the peaches growing there. The flowers look lovely - and that peach: https://www.ernst-mosel.de/urlaub-und-wein/themen/weinbergspfirsich/

I think I will put another peach liqueur bottle on my Christmas wish list.

Talking of Christmas: Can I have that chimney breast in the background, please? Or one like it. Really nice. Every year come Christmas I long to have a mantle piece that I can put my cards on. Having a very efficient modern central heating system in an apartment building has its drawbacks. I sometimes think of buying a cheap decorative one just so I can stack things on it and decorate it for winter.

notamermaid