River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

@Coral Have not noticed any posts or like buttons for some time from her. Wondered about our dog lover and owner myself the other day.

Many just enjoy reading in the background but that is not really like her I would say... ☺️  I hope the reason is just that - reading in the background and being busy with the furry friends.

notamermaid

• Like 1

It has been a somewhat strange day. For the first time in many months I have spoken to my travel agent who normally helps with organizing my part DIY trips to Britain. He was quite open about his struggles to keep the business going as they normally focus on travels to the islands, i.e. including Ireland. He sounded quite let us say a tad annoyed how complicated it all is... "Do not book anything before three days before you want to travel". Okaaayyy...

I have been to the cemetery and noticed today that in the same row as some of my relatives is buried my late volunteer colleague who died in Spring (I had mentioned it in another thread - same age as me). It kind of hits you again.

I have just watched a glorious autumn sunset but they are bitter-sweet when I think that so many people are not here to watch these anymore, people that we may presume would still be with us if these were normal times.

On the plus side, I have found a bottle of Gewürztraminer in a shop that I normally do not go to, a pleasant surprise. At around 11 euros, it is not cheap but still reasonable seeing that it bears a medal sticker of sorts for excellent quality. This will go to my display of "autumn delights" in the hallway to greet me and cheer me up when I come home.

On a day like today I can feel the onset of dark thoughts and a tendency to give in to hibernation mode (staying in bed for 10 hours a day). My neighbour's tomcat is in thick fur growing mode, so he can expect even more cuddles from me. Good job that he enjoys them as much as me. 😀

notamermaid

• Like 1

@notamermaid, Autumn is the time of year for such thoughts, and you are not the only one feeling that way, I am sure.

2020 and 2021 have been a time of great loss for so many. But also, it has been a time to reflect on what is important, to think about how we can help each other cope. I'm sure all of us here would send positive thoughts your way.

I just booked a trip for January and I am feeling brave. Things can certainly change quickly, and I really don't feel confident about booking something much further in advance. At least everything for the January trip can be refunded or used as a credit for the future. But I will remain hopeful that we can go to Finland and see the Aurora.

Now on to more serious topics - I want to hear more about the Gewürztraminer! We had some for dinner tonight, with pork chops. But ours was from Alsace.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, notamermaid said:

It has been a somewhat strange day. For the first time in many months I have spoken to my travel agent who normally helps with organizing my part DIY trips to Britain. He was quite open about his struggles to keep the business going as they normally focus on travels to the islands, i.e. including Ireland. He sounded quite let us say a tad annoyed how complicated it all is... "Do not book anything before three days before you want to travel". Okaaayyy...

Hang in there! Our weather is still very pleasant for fall so I am enjoying that. It is winter that gets me.

I am hoping my Moderna vaccine gets approved for a booster this week. I know way too many people who are having breakthrough cases of COVID (with all 3 vaccines). 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I just booked a trip for January and I am feeling brave. Things can certainly change quickly, and I really don't feel confident about booking something much further in advance. At least everything for the January trip can be refunded or used as a credit for the future. But I will remain hopeful that we can go to Finland and see the Aurora.

How far North in Finland? I have spent a week in Helsinki once but that was it. And it was summer. Yet to see the Northern Lights anywhere. Are you going with a tour company or on your own?

Edited by Coral

Northern Lights Village Saariselkä, for 3 nights. About 68.4°N, so very little light when we are there. 2h at most.

It's a place that A&K uses on their Northern Lights tour but A&K had no room so we booked independently. 

4 nights in Helsinki afterwards. Might make a day trip to Tallinn if able. 

Should be a fun week! And maybe 2 more new countries. 

And maybe the Lights. We've tried Iceland in January, twice, with no success. 

Edited by jpalbny

9 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Northern Lights Village Saariselkä, for 3 nights. About 68.4°N, so very little light when we are there. 2h at most.

It's a place that A&K uses on their Northern Lights tour but A&K had no room so we booked independently. 

4 nights in Helsinki afterwards. Might make a day trip to Tallinn if able. 

Should be a fun week! And maybe 2 more new countries. 

And maybe the Lights. We've tried Iceland in January, twice, with no success. 

That sounds great! I have not been to Tallinn. I was just looking at the map and realized how close we were in Helsinki to it but then when we were there - Estonia was part of the Soviet Union so we would have needed a visa. I hope you finally see the lights.

Edited by Coral

@jpalbny oh my, I did not mention it is actually a Gewürztraminer from Alsace. Nice bottle that definitely deserves a photo 😀. Coming up in the next few days.

Short session at work this afternoon. Not many trees on my way that need avoiding, but I will certainly be watching building works fences and scaffolding. Storm gathering pace.

notamermaid

I booked a Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Edge just a few weeks ago. We leave on 10/30. I am beyond ready for a vacation. We have been to all the ports, but did schedule a beer tasting excursion in Roatan. 

The Delta variant has made for a busy fall. Thankfully, in KY, there are ample options to test, including in the schools. That has helped.

Vaccine approval should be coming in the next few weeks for kids, so I need to get this vacation in so I'm ready to immunize my patients.

Robin

• Like 3

11 hours ago, acwmom said:

I booked a Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Edge just a few weeks ago. We leave on 10/30. I am beyond ready for a vacation. We have been to all the ports, but did schedule a beer tasting excursion in Roatan. 

The Delta variant has made for a busy fall. Thankfully, in KY, there are ample options to test, including in the schools. That has helped.

Vaccine approval should be coming in the next few weeks for kids, so I need to get this vacation in so I'm ready to immunize my patients.

Robin

Have a great time!

54 minutes ago, Second seating said:

Our next cruise is Windstar from Bordeaux to Amsterdam in May followed by SeaDream Venice to Athens in August! Both have stops we have been before but not a problem I will get to see Mont-Saint-Michel!!! Still planning on visiting Belgium in December (a DIY trip)!

Second seating

Loved Mont Saint-Michel!

We did it on our own from St-Malo in 2010. This was back when you could still drive across the causeway in your own (rental) vehicle and park right outside the walls for free. You had to pay attention to where they'd marked off the lot though, as that part would be underwater at high tide... Try explaining that one to Hertz!

We have not been back since but I hear that the process is a lot different now. The parking lot is on the mainland and you have to shuttle, or walk a lot further.

The architectural feat of building the Abbey on top of the Mont is really awe-inspiring. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Loved Mont Saint-Michel!

We did it on our own from St-Malo in 2010. This was back when you could still drive across the causeway in your own (rental) vehicle and park right outside the walls for free. You had to pay attention to where they'd marked off the lot though, as that part would be underwater at high tide... Try explaining that one to Hertz!

Maybe this way?

tapatalk_911306644.thumb.jpeg.6ff37d9df686a24ea0fde357dd4e45dd.jpeg.8c8039181cd39062c119836db1954446.jpeg

• Haha 3

@Second seating Mont St. Michel is a magical, mystical place. I am sure you will love it.

I like this story of the angel flying back to the island in 2016 - with a helicopter: https://www.dw.com/en/angel-back-atop-frances-mont-saint-michel/a-19285761

More recently, the Abbey was bathed in light with an accompanying music event. Perhaps not to everybody's liking but certainly an interesting idea: https://www.dw.com/en/light-and-music-show-on-mont-saint-michel/av-59302050

notamermaid

13 hours ago, Second seating said:

Our next cruise is Windstar from Bordeaux to Amsterdam in May followed by SeaDream Venice to Athens in August! Both have stops we have been before but not a problem I will get to see Mont-Saint-Michel!!! Still planning on visiting Belgium in December (a DIY trip)!

Second seating

Mont-Saint-Michel is definitely worth seeing!

16 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Lovely. I am sure it will do you tons of good. Have a great time.

notamermaid

Thank you! While we would both rather travel to Europe, neither of us are up to the long flights and jet lag right now.

Robin

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, acwmom said:

Thank you! While we would both rather travel to Europe, neither of us are up to the long flights and jet lag right now.

Robin

That is very understandable.

I cannot even get myself to planning a trip to Alsace. And I am too afraid to go to Britain. If I could transport myself to a village in Northern England without a plane or a wobbly ferry or a crowded train I might, but Kent? I will have to admit to my dear people there soon that I will not be coming for another while.

Currently considering three nights in the Black Forest or another three nights near Würzburg.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, acwmom said:

Thanks, Coral. The ships have been going out less than 50% full, so it will be a big ship without the big ship crowds.

I originally thought cruising would be one of the worst vacations during a pandemic but with requirements for vaccines, requirements for testing and reduced capacity - it has to be one of the best ways to vacation.

I flew last week for the first time. Our planes were full and someone near me was sneezing a lot - I was a little unsettled. I tested before and after I got back and was negative. I am glad I have testing options where I work (and saliva testing which is easier). It was the first time I ate inside in restaurants (we tried to eat outside as much as possible) but most of the trip was outside in Colorado.

I am hoping to get my Moderna booster this weekend!

Edited by Coral

39 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Notamermaid you’re obviously getting bad reports about the U.K. as we are of the situation in various countries on the European mainland, hopefully it will get resolved all in good time.

Yeeaahh... Not so good. Mind you, situation in my country not brilliant either. Basically, I just do not want to sort out going through Belgium, France, a Eurotunnel terminal with unvaccinated children prancing around (as joyful as that could be in normal pre-Christmas excitement) and fully vaccinated adults constantly using the terminal toilets because the train toilets are closed. I would go from exposing myself to 100 people in four days to 100 people in an hour. I feel I am not ready for it. I doubt I can in November or December.

I really need to have another search for the canal and aqueduct photos. Not sure which folder they are in on my computer, they are not on my camera anymore. Organization admittedly lacking a bit.

notamermaid

• Like 1

I had my booster today and talking to a fellow booster jaber she had just discovered a walk in vaccination clinic for youngsters and was off to tell all her youngsters evidently Guides, Scouts and kids doing their Duke of Edinburgh Awards. Talking to her the youngsters really want to be vaccinated even those who are considered to young. It just seems that some people are completely unconcerned wether they are or aren't so sad.