River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

19 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Übergrößengeschäft you say? I think all Apple keyboards have this functionality, including my iPads and the MacBook Pro I'm writing on right now.  😇

My desktop, however, is not an Apple. 

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Was that green asparagus? Cannot imagine white working in that meal. Asparagus season ends on Johanni in Germany, that is 24 June, the feast day of Saint John the Baptist.

Yes, green.  White asparagus isn't that big a thing in the US.

Oh, I meant a computer keyboard. All these modern appliances really spoil the fun but ease the chore.

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

White asparagus isn't that big a thing in the US.

Right, I had forgotten that.

notamermaid

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Ah, that's where you went wrong in life.  🤣  [Me?  All Apple, all the time, since 1984.]

All my work computers were Windows machines. It’s not that easy to flip back and forth.

10 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

All my work computers were Windows machines. It’s not that easy to flip back and forth.

True.  I was lucky [but also part of the decision] to work at the only Law School that was/is all-Mac.  We let those who demanded Windows run it on their Mac desktops, but our IT guys looked down their noses at them.  [Most of our IT department were Greeks; re-reading the part about 'looked down their noses' we should have hired French!!!]

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

I still have a Windows PC on my desk, sitting right next to my Mac, and I frequently use the two together, alternating between keyboards. But you're right, although flipping back and forth between the two is now second nature, when I bought my first Mac there was a definite learning curve. 

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I still have a Windows PC on my desk, sitting right next to my Mac, and I frequently use the two together, alternating between keyboards. But you're right, although flipping back and forth between the two is now second nature, when I bought my first Mac there was a definite learning curve. 

I have enough trouble remembering that the shift key on my PC has to be held down while I type the letter I want capitalized, and that it doesn’t work like my iPhone which capitalizes the letter I hit AFTER the shift key. 

• Haha 1

iPad hour to hour, Microsoft laptop at home and at the archive. Anything to do with photography, presentation and publishing would be better with Apple 🍎 but our charity uses Microsoft. Luckily I’ve got past the differences and adapt automatically but there are odd things I still get still get stuck with. I love it when youngsters go on about oldies and computing as if! My DH just says ‘okay who are the computer generation?’ When I think of the memory banks and clean rooms for satellite construction, iPads are amazing and all in my lifetime!

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

iPad hour to hour, Microsoft laptop at home and at the archive. Anything to do with photography, presentation and publishing would be better with Apple 🍎 but our charity uses Microsoft. Luckily I’ve got past the differences and adapt automatically but there are odd things I still get still get stuck with. I love it when youngsters go on about oldies and computing as if! My DH just says ‘okay who are the computer generation?’ When I think of the memory banks and clean rooms for satellite construction, iPads are amazing and all in my lifetime!

That the younger generation is the computer generation is somewhat of a myth.  I retired from teaching 5 yrs ago.  My students could TikTok, etc.,  like there was no tomorrow, but ask them to convert an assignment to a PDF, edit a photo than insert it into a lab report, etc., for every kid that was a wizard, there were 2 who had no clue.  Use a scanning app on a phone to digitize and submit a problem set?  One student consistently pinned down her paper with her feet and pointed her phone downward to photograph it-----I could describe every pair of socks she owned!!!

Use technology as a toy---sure, they're good.  Use technology as a useful tool in life/work/school---not so much.

(end of my old-man rant)

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Beat the heat if you don’t have air conditioning. Keep the towels wet.

:classic_biggrin: Thanks for the suggestion, could be an alternative for me. But I bought a nice sophisticated fan last Summer, which I am really pleased with. It has a water tank so can create this moisture effect with cold water. Not cheap but very useful right now. It has been really hot, I even considered spending the afternoon at work where I have air conditioning.

What makes the heat worse is the fact that we have a spider population explosion and it creeps me out. They have covered my living room windows. Eek!

notamermaid

9 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Oh yuk! Poor you.

Thank you. I just cannot open the window with one coming in within 20 seconds.

The heat is quite brutal in England I read. 40.2 Celsius in Heathrow today. With all that tarmac perhaps not surprising. Mind you I was in England when the record was set at Faversham, the orchard at Brogdale to be precise, some years ago. That record had been broken and now there is a new record. "You" beat us by just a little today: it was 39.5 Celsius in Duisburg according to one website (not an all time record).

notamermaid

My DH does like following and keeping temperature records hence  easy present weather station so evidently last Friday 30 deg, exactly I year ago temp 30deg. We cruised the Rhône in this weather but our Captain called off the final cruise out to the Med because we had the mother and fathers of all thunderstorms, Mother Nature can be very noisy at times.

Trying to decide what is worse for me the heat or the spiders!

My sympathies to all of you folks in Europe and England where temps have been so high. Here in Dallas we hit 42 celius yesterday which is hot but we're used to the heat and most of us have air conditioning. Do your best to stay cool and be safe.

Paul

• Like 1

Apart from the zoo at my living room windows (last night it looked as if two bees were trying to establish a base camp or something next to the spiders) I have another thing that is keeping my brain busy: holiday in England or not? UK government tells me this: "The coming weeks are likely to see an increase in traffic between the UK and France on trains, planes, ferries and the Channel Tunnel, which could lead to delays at certain times. Industrial action in France and resource constraints of travel operators could also cause further disruption. Before travelling, you should check for the latest information with your travel operator or airline, including their advice on how early you should arrive at the terminal or airport to check in."

Thank you helpful government for telling me I could be joining the queue at Dover if I go. I am not travelling alone so feel responsible for the enjoyment of us all. It looks as if one person will drop out: "I am not willing to follow the French rules" is a valid reason certainly and we others are not too happy potentially having to take an expensive test as the French are not willing to accept the great NHS. "Pi**ing off the unvaccinated" is one thing, declaring you unvaccinated after nine months and one day another...

Will all this work and if we are delayed at Dover by six hours or 20 hours on the Eurotunnel will we miss the boat literally and figuratively because the Dover customs officer says: "No, youre teste iz no longger valide."?

Such are my woes. Financially this would be a big trip for us all and spending 100 to 200 pounds extra per person would not be fun. Should I just "pi** off the French" and not visit zeir grate country? It would take the money away from the lovely restaurant we often frequent in the Calais area and nobody in snooty Paris would notice. Oh well, I will turn to Idstein and my day trip and seriously consider exploring Germany. So many places I have never been to in my fabulous country.

Hope all your travel plans go ahead and have a good week.

notamermaid