The Daily for Saturday Nov 28, 2020

richwmn

today is French Toast Day, Letter Writing Day, and Small Business Saturday

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

--William Arthur Ward

Meal suggestion for today - Honey Mustard Salmon

Drink of the Day - Hot Toddy

Wine of the day - Domaine de Mourchon Côtes du Rhône-Villages Séguret Tradition vintage 2014

At Sea Mediterranian
Zuiderdam destination Valetta eta 11/29

Bonaire Anchorage
Oosterdam

Gibraltar
Noordam

Rotterdam - Botlek Shipyard
Westerdam

Panama Anchorage Pacific
Koningsdam

Southampton UK
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay Anchorage
Volendam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Nieuw Amsterdam

Southern Caribbean

Th1s ship is not associated with a particular port but is 'at sea'
Eurodam

1128Europe.png

1128Caribbean.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  Boy, would I love to be getting French Toast on a HAL ship.  I'm not at all good at letter writing, and tended to observe Small Business Day yesterday with a trip to my locally owned hardware store.  The quote is spot on.  I'll pass on the salmon, but my alternative is one that could have been a couple of days ago, Ambrosia Fruit Cup, Traditional Thanksgiving Turkey, and Apple and Walnut Tart a la mode, as I enjoyed on the Prinsendam November 28, 2013.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Hflors son and daughter both ill with likely covid

Covid personally touching durangoscots, Hflors, StLouisCruisers,

durangoscots niece’s husband in the ICU

RIP Diego Maradono

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Occasional posters including Icand1923

Front Line Health Care Workers and support staff

Teachers and school workers

Negative Covid test for Hflor’s DD

1Angelcat’s church modifying it’s celebration for Covid

Outdoor Thanksgiving for cat shepard

Improvement in DeeniEncinitas’s thumb

StLouisCruiser’s DD visiting her Gram

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Dailyites.

Love the Daily Report, thanks for the maps.

Interesting days.  We try and support local businesses.  I'd love some French Toast on a HAL ship too.  I try to write a note and put it in the Christmas cards I send out. 

Praying for everyone.  And I hope everyone has something to celebrate.

Take care, be safe.

• Like 12

Good morning.  Yum, French toast.  Will make that for breakfast.  I write letters although short ones to many nowadays.  Small Business shopping most of the time.  Don't like the big box stores.  And the quote is spot on.  DH would love the meal, but  I'm not fond of  Salmon.

Hot Toddy:

Instructions. In a teapot or saucepan, bring the water to a simmer. Pour the hot water into a mug. Add the whiskey, 2 teaspoons honey and 2 teaspoon lemon juice. Stir until the honey has disappeared into the hot water. Garnish with a lemon round and cinnamon stick (if using). Enjoy!

Prayers to our care list and happy to see the celebration list getting longer.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

• Like 13

Thanks for the update.  Please add my sis to the care list.  She is my ace cruise companion when the DH can't travel and she has been diagnosed with a rare cancer.  You may have heard me discuss her in previous posts most recently about her service to covid patients.   We would appreciate prayers.  Thank you.  

• Like 16

Good morning all.  All three days are good with me.  I love french toast.  I uae to write all my christmas cards.  One year myself and all my siblings did I guess what you would call a chain christmas card to my parents.  The card was sent to each sibling.  You signed the card and then attached a story of your favorite Christmas growing up.  On Christmas eve we all got together and presented this card with the stories to my parents.  That was a lot of fun.  Of course there were eight siblings so we had alot of stories to write!

Both the meals are good.  I am waiting for the ingredients for the drink and the wine description.

My good news is ds and family tested negative!!!.  When I told him how happy I was he said "I don't know what you were worried about I knew we didn't have it".  Ugh!!!! 

Now my bad news.  The breeder called me 1.5 hrs. before we were suppose to pick up the puppy and said the sale was off.  She said the pup has hip dysplasia and she will not let him be adopted.  After finding another breeder in the area we are pretty sure the breeder was offered more money.  I don't say that lightly.  The second breeder told me she had had three emails all from my city all with simular stories as mine about a breeder in my city who cancelled the adoption yesterday of a puppy they were supposed to pick up.  There is only one breeder of these dogs in our city.  Also the second breeder told me with Christmas coming she has been offered amazing sums if money for one of her upcoming pups.  The second breeder said she will put me on her list of someone wanting one of her pups from an upcoming litter.  So we will see.

Well prayers to our care list and congrats to our celebration list!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!!!

Helen

• Like 18

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Like everyone else, I’d love to have some French Toast on a blue hulled beauty.  Guess I won’t have any for a while unless I make it myself 😉 

Letter writing inspires me to get started on the cards and notes.  Small Business deserves all our support.  We need them to survive this crisis.  I’m doing my very best to help.

That Ward quote is excellent and so true!

Yum on the meal suggestion.  And a hot toddy goes well with this time of the year.  Thanks @summer slopefor the recipe.  Interesting, I’ve always made mine with rum.

@Mary229our prayers for your sister.  How sad.  I hope there is a treatment for her that can help.

@Hflors Such good news on your DS and family.  So happy for you.  I am sorry to hear about your puppy to be though.  How disappointing.  I hope the new breeder can help you with a new puppy soon.

For anyone who has covid and cold weather fatigue, here’s a gardening tip for next year:

E39940A5-E976-42B4-82E9-9DFD069A1844.thumb.jpeg.63c769a05c9b7bc8698e6f280045fa43.jpeg

Feeling bad for @Hflors so I hope this puts a smile on her face:

BA79E47D-B993-464A-808F-CEA1168B4C45.jpeg.57ed0bb3e71cf6b919ff639c9290bb1e.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & those that need them and a big clink of the glass to everyone the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Saturday everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Hflors said:

Can you give more details???  It sounds good.

Overnight French Toast

Ingredients

Challah Bread (sliced into 12, ¾” thick)

6 eggs

1 ¼ cups Milk

¼ cup Half & Half  (to replace half & half: 1/4 tablespoon melted butter, plus enough milk to equal 1/4 cup)

¼ cup Sugar

2 tbsp Maple Syrup

1 ½ tsp Vanilla

¼ tsp Salt

Confectionary Sugar

Cinnamon & Sugar

Maple Syrup

Fresh Fruit (if desired)

1.   Arrange Challah slices in a buttered 9 x 13” baking dish

2.    In a large bowl add all ingredients

3.   Pour over bread

4.   Refrigerate, covered overnight

5.   Turn slices over once or twice to be sure they’re evenly coated with egg mixture

6.   In morning, bake in preheated oven @ 400oF for 15 minutes

7.   Turn over & bake for 20 more minutes or until golden brown

8.   Pop under broiler to brown if desired

9.   Dust with confectionery sugar

Serve with fresh fruit or maple syrup

Serves 6

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Overnight French Toast

Ingredients

Challah Bread (sliced into 12, ¾” thick)

6 eggs

1 ¼ cups Milk

¼ cup Half & Half  (to replace half & half: 1/4 tablespoon melted butter, plus enough milk to equal 1/4 cup)

¼ cup Sugar

2 tbsp Maple Syrup

1 ½ tsp Vanilla

¼ tsp Salt

Confectionary Sugar

Cinnamon & Sugar

Maple Syrup

Fresh Fruit (if desired)

1.   Arrange Challah slices in a buttered 9 x 13” baking dish

2.    In a large bowl add all ingredients

3.   Pour over bread

4.   Refrigerate, covered overnight

5.   Turn slices over once or twice to be sure they’re evenly coated with egg mixture

6.   In morning, bake in preheated oven @ 400oF for 15 minutes

7.   Turn over & bake for 20 more minutes or until golden brown

8.   Pop under broiler to brown if desired

9.   Dust with confectionery sugar

Serve with fresh fruit or maple syrup

Serves 6

Chef Marty, I had no idea!

• Like 3

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  It's always interesting to see where the ships are, especially if you have a booking on a particular ship.

French toast - I haven't made that in ages, but I do have a fruity French toast recipe quite similar to @Gail & Marty sailing away's that I'm planning on putting together on Christmas Eve.  Traditionally I make "Land of Nod Cinnamon Buns" which makes a large bundt pan full, but just having the 2 of us for Christmas this year doesn't make sense.

Today we're expecting a company who will be blowing in more insulation into our attic - we've obviously had heat escaping, resulting in icicles, so we have to do something about it now, rather than later, as winter has only just begun.

@Mary229, will definitely keep your sister in my prayers.  @Hflors so happy to hear your DS and family tested negative, but saddened by the actions of your chosen breeder.  Hopefully you'll get your puppy soon.

Great meal suggestions, but in looking through the "ice cave" (our deep freeze), I found a large bag of perogies and sausage, so guess what's going to be on our dinner table tonight?  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Cheers and toasting all on the celebration list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 13

Thank you for gathering the Dailyites together, Rich! That pesky Eurodam is  keeping us guessing.

Roy, thank you for keeping our ever-changing lists! You might need to tweak the Care list a bit, since @Hflorsdaughter & now son have both tested negative and do not have the virus! Woo hoo!🎉 @Mary229, prayers winging their way for your Sister.  

Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Denise, hope your thumb is healing fast. Joy, what was your MRI for, if you don’t mind me asking? Helen,  I am sorry about the puppy. How disappointing, and what you described does sound suspicious. 

What a great combo of days! Not a great letter writer, but occasionally get the urge. Love French toast, though I usually only have it on Christmas morning. @Gail & Marty sailing away, that recipe sounds amazing! I will definitely try it. Thank you for sharing!  I usually make it after the Santa gifts are open, and use my Mom’s recipe that mixes freshly ground cinnamon & a bit of freshly ground nutmeg into the batter.  This year we have to have Small Business Day - every day. Many of ours are hanging on by a thread. The ones who reinvented themselves are doing a bit better.

Excellent quote. Parts of Florida will be ready for the drink of the day this coming Tuesday, when the low gets down to 36 degrees! I just had salmon last night, so not sure what I will do tonight.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all we are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This French red blend has a great rating & a decent price, if you can find it. I found one online vendor selling it for $17.97.  Just watch out for that “bolt of graphite”.

#52 Wine SpectatorTop 100 of 2017

A deep garnet red color with well-blended fruit aromas of raspberry and blackberry and a hint of liquorice on a spicy background. The palate is both velvety and generous with supple fruit.

Enjoy with roasted vegetables, slow-cooked meat dishes or fresh goat’s cheeses.

90 - Wine Spectator: A good bolt of graphite drives underneath while lightly mulled plum and blackberry fruit form the core. Singed mesquite and tobacco fill in on the finish. Grenache, Syrah and Carignan. Drink now through 2020.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Thanks for the update.  Please add my sis to the care list.  She is my ace cruise companion when the DH can't travel and she has been diagnosed with a rare cancer.  You may have heard me discuss her in previous posts most recently about her service to covid patients.   We would appreciate prayers.  Thank you.  

I am so sorry to hear this.  My sister is my cruising buddy as well.  Prayers and warm thoughts across the miles.

1 hour ago, Hflors said:

My good news is ds and family tested negative!!!.  When I told him how happy I was he said "I don't know what you were worried about I knew we didn't have it".  Ugh!!!! 

Excellent news!   Kind of offsets the puppy disappointment.   

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I am so sorry to hear the news about your sister.  I will for sure add her to my prayers.  

@HflorsSuch wonderful news about DD and DS and family being negative for Covid.  As a mother of course you were worried about them all.  And about the puppy, what a major disappointment.  Just know that when you do get your puppy, it will be the right one for you.  It was meant to be.  My granddog is half King Charles Cavalier spaniel and half poodle.  So adorable, and quite the hunter in the backyard.  She's always snooping around for a mouse, mole/vole or bird.  Keeps life interesting! 🙂

@St Pete CruiserThanks for letting us know about the History channel Endurance program.  I'll be setting that up to record.  We love Antarctica!

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Denise, hope your thumb is healing fast. Joy, what was your MRI for, if you don’t mind me asking?

Good morning my dear sisters Ann and Denise. I hope you are feeling better Deeni and David is spoiling you. Thank you Ann for the wine review, and concern.

Ann, about 15 years ago I was carrying Christmas decorations up from the basement. I thought I had one more step to take at the top, but it was air.. fell backwards down the stairs. 18 months of physical therapy.. When we were moving into this new house in July I caught my foot on the top ramp of the UHaul and took a tumble down the ramp with my pots and pans. I haven't really healed since then. I have the results from the MRI on My Chart but not really sure what it means til my doctor calls.

This is what it shows:

Disc desiccation is seen throughout the lumbar spine with relative sparing at L5/S1. Degenerative changes are seen at the following levels:
L1/L2: Minimal diffuse disc bulge and mild facet hypertrophy. No central spinal canal or foraminal stenosis.
L2/L3: Diffuse disc bulge, right foraminal protrusion and facet/ligament flavum hypertrophy. Mild central spinal canal stenosis. No foraminal stenosis.
L3/L4: Diffuse disc bulge and facet/ligament flavum hypertrophy. Mild to moderate central spinal canal stenosis. Mild bilateral foraminal stenoses without contact with the exiting L3 nerve roots.
L4/L5: Mild diffuse disc bulge and facet/ligament flavum hypertrophy. Mild central spinal canal stenosis. Mild bilateral foraminal stenoses without contact with the exiting L4 nerve roots.
L5/S1: Minimal diffuse disc bulge and mild facet hypertrophy. No central spinal canal or foraminal stenosis.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Rich! Thank you so much for always being here for us Daily-ites. I just keep wondering what you will be doing after the ships get moving again?

Thank you to all who contribute to the Daily. I appreciate you.

Good morning sisters Ann and Denise. Hoping for a quiet, relaxing weekend. Stay away from food processors!! And jeez Ann "A deep garnet" does not sound like a white wine..

Helen I am happy for the negative tests, but sad you didn't get your pup. The perfect one will come soon. Praying for @Mary229 sis, and to all those on Roy's care list. Cheers going out tonight for all on the celebrations list.

Take care, be safe, have a great weekend. Start those Christmas cards! Christmas is coming soon!

• Like 10