Insignia, Will it Happen?

billf0401

We have been missing our cruises so much.  We are booked on the Montreal/Miami cruise on the Insignia on 10/31/21 departing from Montreal.  Given the situation we are less than positive that it will take place.  There is the issue of the Vaccine, Border crossing, Quarantine and of course whatever protocol Oceania has onboard.  We will be waiting till the last minute to make our final payment to assess if it will look like an enjoyable experience.  Some of the proposed onboard restrictions are not so appealing.  We are trying to stay optimistic.

What are your thoughts?

We are all guessing here, it’s almost 11 months out, but

1. You probably won’t cross the border, and assuredly won’t get on the ship without having gotten the vaccine;

2.  We have a November cruise booked with a June PiF date. I don’t believe O will be sailing by then, except for maybe a test cruise. You’ll have to just decide to go or not with almost no information.

3. I believe things will improve dramatically from 3rd Qtr to 4th. Some of the earliest restrictions will slowly be lifted.

4.  As the CEO of Carnival Lines said “ The US will probably be the last ports to reopen.

We are booked on the Insignia 11/27/21, and our thoughts are the same.  At the very least we expect some itinerary changes depending on the virus situation in various destinations, especially Brazil.  As far as Oceania protocol goes, there is no issue with us.  We will take a three week cruise to nowhere if that's what it comes to.  We spoke to a friend in Ecuador last night, and she said the situation there is pretty grim. The Chinese are very involved in testing and trials in SA, so another reason for optimism.  We too  will remain very optimistic that the vaccine will be the solution to our cruising woes.  

I believe the largest obstacle for the cruise lines is not the virus per say. The problem is going to be that by June the EU and the CDC will probably not yet have lifted their seven day limits. Will people pay in June for a 14 day cruise in November , when 7 day limits are still in effect? Probably not. Cruise lines will be forced to extend final payment or face near total cancellations.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

I believe the largest obstacle for the cruise lines is not the virus per say. The problem is going to be that by June the EU and the CDC will probably not yet have lifted their seven day limits. Will people pay in June for a 14 day cruise in November , when 7 day limits are still in effect? Probably not. Cruise lines will be forced to extend final payment or face near total cancellations.

Actually I think you're filtering too much through your own lens. There are many, many people that will go on a 7 day trip riding around in circles just to be on a ship. Not you or I, but there are many that will. So, I don't think it will be as big an issue as you think, especially with reduced capacity. Paying for 14 days when they will only go 7 is just a another hurdle to jump. Some will balk, others that really want to go, will pony up. 

Ships are going to have a hard time stopping in Atlantic Canada.

Politically, the lockdown here is a winner. (I happen to be in the minority, but never mind.)

I don't see us welcoming tourists from outside the region in 2021.

As an example, in my province (Nova Scotia), we have had one death from Covid since the 9th of June. No one has been hospital since August. March's State of Emergency continues today. Polls float, but the approval rating for the restrictions and the top politicians alike floats between the low 60s and high 70s percent. We will get a new Premier in February, but none of the contenders will rush to bin a policy that is that popular, regardless of how much sense it makes. 

Sure, of course everything could change. But it doesn't look like the political will is present here to change stuff in time for Final Payments on the typical cruising season (from August to October, so Final Payments start in the Spring). I expect many cruise companies to re-route ships. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Shawnino said:

Ships are going to have a hard time stopping in Atlantic Canada.

Politically, the lockdown here is a winner. (I happen to be in the minority, but never mind.)

I don't see us welcoming tourists from outside the region in 2021.

As an example, in my province (Nova Scotia), we have had one death from Covid since the 9th of June. No one has been hospital since August. March's State of Emergency continues today. Polls float, but the approval rating for the restrictions and the top politicians alike floats between the low 60s and high 70s percent. We will get a new Premier in February, but none of the contenders will rush to bin a policy that is that popular, regardless of how much sense it makes. 

Sure, of course everything could change. But it doesn't look like the political will is present here to change stuff in time for Final Payments on the typical cruising season (from August to October, so Final Payments start in the Spring). I expect many cruise companies to re-route ships. 

Well done, we envy those numbers.

The Government of Canada expects to start vaccine distribution next week.  The general population starting in April and by December to have 60% of the population vaccinated.   I speculate the border to be opened in the fall.

1 hour ago, GICNJC said:

The Government of Canada expects to start vaccine distribution next week.  The general population starting in April and by December to have 60% of the population vaccinated.   I speculate the border to be opened in the fall.

Pretty much open to people flying in/out  now  just land crossings are checked

Just look at flight into  YYZ daily

https://www.toronto-pearson-airport.com/pearson-arrivals.php

13 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Pretty much open to people flying in/out  now  just land crossings are checked

Just look at flight into  YYZ daily

https://www.toronto-pearson-airport.com/pearson-arrivals.php

This blurb is from Air Canada's site today:

The Government of Canada has restricted non-essential travel of foreign nationals across its border. Foreign nationals (a person who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident) wishing to enter Canada by air for optional, non-essential or discretionary purposes will not be permitted. Non-essential travel includes travelling for purposes such as tourism, sightseeing, recreation, entertainment, social visits and religious functions.

2 hours ago, CintiPam said:

Hi, Bill, I know we all are aging but why worry over cruising in 2021 when we hopefully have more years left to book and enjoy cruising without the added worry of final payments, itinerary changes, etc. JMO!

Not Bill, but here is an answer. This Board is divided between cruisers and travelers. Put some of the people here on a ship going nowhere eating in the various restaurants and they’re happy. They are cruisers.

I cruise to augment travel. I cruise to see the lands, explore the countryside, eat the local cuisine, and meet the people. I’m a traveler. I’m still mentally capable enough to realize the time clock is ticking away. Oceania puts destiny before you very vividly with cruisers that can hardly leave the ship, or if so only for short controlled stints to controlled environments. Every year of missed travels equals a year of missed opportunities, missed experiences, and missed travel as I define it. The clock doesn’t stop ticking because of Covid.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

This blurb is from Air Canada's site today:

The Government of Canada has restricted non-essential travel of foreign nationals across its border. Foreign nationals (a person who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident) wishing to enter Canada by air for optional, non-essential or discretionary purposes will not be permitted. Non-essential travel includes travelling for purposes such as tourism, sightseeing, recreation, entertainment, social visits and religious functions.

That sounds like a CYA  statement 

I wonder  how many Canadians have  to fly to/from some of the Countries  the flights are coming from 

They would certainly not be carrying just a few people  on each flight

12 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

They would certainly not be carrying just a few people  on each flight

Airlines into some regions are easily flying at about 20 -25 % load factor.

Load the belly up with high yielding, time sensitive freight and they make a profit on the flight.

Air Freight rates have increased dramatically due to lack of worldwide passenger flights.

We have travelled much of the world and COVID has not diminished our desire to continue to do so.  Certainly we realize that the "hold" and restrictions on travel may have been necessary.  We are seeing our time in semi lockdown take away one of the great pleasures remaining in life.  So yes, we booked the 10/31/21 cruise on the Insignia with what we thought was more than sufficient time to get cruising back under way...Now, these months later it does not seem so certain that we will be going...still hopeful.  We also have another cruise booked for January, 2022...With a bit of good fortune we will be cruising in 2021..if not on the Insignia, we will book a cruise from Port Canaveral.

12 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Not Bill, but here is an answer. This Board is divided between cruisers and travelers. Put some of the people here on a ship going nowhere eating in the various restaurants and they’re happy. They are cruisers.

I cruise to augment travel. I cruise to see the lands, explore the countryside, eat the local cuisine, and meet the people. I’m a traveler. I’m still mentally capable enough to realize the time clock is ticking away. Oceania puts destiny before you very vividly with cruisers that can hardly leave the ship, or if so only for short controlled stints to controlled environments. Every year of missed travels equals a year of missed opportunities, missed experiences, and missed travel as I define it. The clock doesn’t stop ticking because of Covid.

Just to be clear, your choices don't make you any better or any smarter than the person that does something else, it's just they work for you. Sometimes some statements come off that way. Of course we're all guilty of thinking the way we see things is the "right" way. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Just to be clear, your choices don't make you any better or any smarter than the person that does something else, it's just they work for you. Sometimes some statements come off that way. Of course we're all guilty of thinking the way we see things is the "right" way. 

ORV;

I agree. People get on cruise ships for entirely different reasons looking for different outcomes. We all pay the bill individually, so whatever is best for you. It’s like the discussion on O’Life benefits. Certainly no one answer.

22 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Pinotlover, the OP requested our thoughts, and in response I provided mine. I was not asking a question but providing my answer at this time. 

In regard to your post, please note that cruise ship travel also can be limiting; a good introduction but many may prefer DIY travel in order to spend more than 10 hours in destinations other than ports of embarkation and disembarkation. 

Edited by CintiPam

1 hour ago, CintiPam said:

In regard to your post, please note that cruise ship travel also can be limiting; a good introduction but many may prefer DIY travel in order to spend more than 10 hours in destinations other than ports of embarkation and disembarkation. 

We too look at cruising as a way to sample regions we might want to visit on land in the future.

After all the input and much further research I am putting the odds on this 10/31/20 Montreal/Miami cruise on the Insignia at 20%.  Negative factors include...International travel US/Canada, Longer than 7 Days, Political Virus Implications, Vaccination Requirements, and a few lesser complications.  Hope I am wrong as we are really looking forward to going.

Interesting press conference here in Nova Scotia on 14th.

They're either going to ease the lockdown for Christmas, or they're not. Well, that's the headline.

At first glance, that seems to have little do with the cruise port in October, but I think the verdict/tone will be pretty telling. The aeroport is running at 8% traffic year-over-year, and lost two more routes this week. All the questions from the ink-stained wretches are going to be about travel/tourism going forward. 

Edited by Shawnino
typo

The politicians on Both Sides of the Border are destroying businesses and livelihoods along with them...It is amazing that a Virus with a 99% survival rate is treated this way....On the positive side we no longer have deaths from the Flu or Pneumonia.  If the Cruise Lines survive this it will be surprising.  Imagine any group of 1000 or more people together that will all test negative during a 1 week timeframe...Especially given "false positive" tests.  If 1 positive brings a cruise to a stop we will have few cruises. Take a look at the news this week of the "false positive" on the cruise to nowhere that was worldwide news.

For us it’s simple. If Covid vaccinations aren’t required for all passengers, we’ll cancel. No intentions of participating in a cruise where < 10% of anti vaxers , or those unable to vaccinated, can bring a cruise to a screaming halt with tens of thousands of our dollars at risk. There is always risk, but allowing the unvaccinated aboard is unnecessary risk.

We’re hoping the various foreign ports/ countries leave no options on this matter for the cruise lines.

• Like 2