Mediterranean 2022 Istanbul and Kusadasi?

Travlin grrl

When I did the Med in 2016 they had just cancelled Istanbul and Kusadasi and replaced with Kotor and Crete. I think that was the year there was a bombing at the airport so they didn't go there. But I do see these back on the itinerary for 2022 and am very tempted to try it again. Everyone says that Istanbul is the best. 

Having done two tours of Turkey, Istanbul is my favourite place. We stayed at the Novotel Hotel is right by the Cruise terminal which was being rebuilt during our stay in 2018. Two streets back from the terminal there is a maze of small cafes and restaurants where you can get real coffee better than anything I've had on a ship. I also happen to like traditional Turkish coffee. The terminal is a longish but interesting walk from the Grand Bazaar and Spice Market or one take a tram which is cheap and easy.

This link has good information..

https://www.whatsinport.com/Istanbul.htm

• Like 1

We have been to both Istanbul and Kusadasi several times.  

Kusadasi has always been a favorite port of ours.  People are extremely friendly and where else do you see signs that advertise "Real Fake Watches"!!!  You may also want to visit the Terrace Houses in Ephesus as they are spectacular.  There are lots of tour companies that will you take you there.

Istanbul has changed immensely in our opinion over the past 10-15 years.  It has become very touristy.  I would stay away from the Grand Bizaar and instead visit the Spice Market.  The Blue Mosque and the Basilica Cistern are both worth while.

• Like 2

I have been to both and would go again. Istanbul-  took a Princess tour. There was a bomb that day, however we did not hear anything. About it until we returned to the ship. Two trips to Kudasai & took ship tour once and on our own once. Went well. On another trip we were delayed at port (Athens- Pireas) at boarding while they searched my son’s backpack for his razor. A bit mb had gone off there the previous day. Hopefully your trip goes well. 

We have been to Turkey several times and various ports.  We love Kusadasi - Ephesus is the best and the tour also included the las home of the Virgin Mary.  As for Istanbul, loved all the sights, but we found it to be a little risky.  Also, the cab drivers are thieves -  everyone was arguing with them, as they would not make change after you paid them (us included) -- and make sure you use their currency - Turkish lira -- no dollars or euros - as you will not get any change from them. 

Another lovely place is Bodrum, Turkey - seaside town in a crescent - nice little restaurants and shops.

As you may know, Turkey has moved more toward a right wing government - far away from the western and secular society which most Turks really liked.  Keep that in mind when you do your research and keep an eye on the politics there.  

Good luck and happy travels....

• Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 12:43 PM, Travlin grrl said:

Istanbul and Kusadasi

Great destinations, although I'd echo some of the concerns already mentioned. I will add on to the point that for Kusadasi, if you are seeking to tour Ephesus, be wary of crowd levels as it's become an even hotter tourist destination in recent years. Assuming you will take independent excursions by then, I'd be sure to schedule tours for yourself ahead of time and solidify those plans so that possible barriers (traffic) are accounted for to and from the ship (as in, give yourself some cushion if possible).

1 hour ago, triple7tahoe said:

Which ship(s) are offering both in 2022?

The summer 2022 Europe voyages are already on sale. Island will visit Kusadasi on an Israel voyage and Regal will visit both Kusadasi and Istanbul every three weeks.

• Like 1