P&O Arvia Construction

Monorail Orange

3 minutes ago, Denarius said:

You may well be correct. But on page 136 of the new brochure a library is listed for Iona (in third column) but not for Arvia.

Yes I have seen that do not know if it is an oversight or perhaps Arvia will not have a library.

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Yes I have seen that do not know if it is an oversight or perhaps Arvia will not have a library.

If nothing else, I'm sure they'll have somewhere they can sell a limited range of books...

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Let's hope that by the time Arvia sails in December 2022 then covid will not be such a major issue.

My point is that even after COVID isn’t such a mainstream issue, companies especially cruise lines will be conscious of it and future viruses. And with P&Os target audience changing, they’ll probably think it isn’t worth having a library. A typical high street library isn’t half as popular as they used to be.

13 minutes ago, joeecco said:

My point is that even after COVID isn’t such a mainstream issue, companies especially cruise lines will be conscious of it and future viruses. And with P&Os target audience changing, they’ll probably think it isn’t worth having a library. A typical high street library isn’t half as popular as they used to be.

I do not think, or hope that Covid, will be no more of a risk on cruise ships than NV or catching flu which as we all know, especially flu, kills thousands in the UK every year but doesnt inhabit people from leading normal lives. After many cases of NV on P&O ships they have still not enforced people using hand gel on returning to the ship at ports and on entering restaurants/buffets and taken the situation seriously just live on a hope and prayer. I hope this attitude on cruise ships changes in the future not only by the cruise line but also the passengers.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

I do not think, or hope that Covid, will be no more of a risk on cruise ships than NV or catching flu which as we all know, especially flu, kills thousands in the UK every year but doesnt inhabit people from leading normal lives.

I agree with you, I just think cruise lines will question ‘is it really worth having’ in the future, because I don’t think it is. Especially

for P&Os new target market. 

6 minutes ago, joeecco said:

I agree with you, I just think cruise lines will question ‘is it really worth having’ in the future, because I don’t think it is. Especially

for P&Os new target market. 

I'm sure you are right. Also, there's no profit in a lending library so I have no doubt that they will disappear from the newer, larger ships. Even aboard the older ships such as Aurora, the library was relocated to a smaller, less centrally located position so that an extra-charge restaurant could be installed in the place of the library.

• Like 1

To be honest, in this day and age, does anyone go on a cruise expecting to go to a library to borrow a book?

Yes, I know people leave behind their Jeffrey Archer and Dan Brown tripe, but in all reality, why do you need a library?   

As a place of quiet and contemplation,  the library is an lovely place,  but from P&O's point of view it earns no revenue, so I see no reason why they would feel the need to include one in their new ships.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

To be honest, in this day and age, does anyone go on a cruise expecting to go to a library to borrow a book?

Yes, I know people leave behind their Jeffrey Archer and Dan Brown tripe, but in all reality, why do you need a library?   

As a place of quiet and contemplation,  the library is an lovely place,  but from P&O's point of view it earns no revenue, so I see no reason why they would feel the need to include one in their new ships.

Sadly, I have to agree with you Wowzz. In respect of the new ships particularly, the number of pax expecting a library will be incredibly low. There are still a few of us 'old stalwarts' who like to see and indeed use the on-board library but I have no doubt that our numbers are dwindling.

As someone who will only sail on the two smallest ships, my cruises tend to be longer than 14 nights. Being a bit of a luddite, whilst I use technology, I do not immerse myself in it and still prefer to read actual, real, paper books and do not possess a kindle or e-reader of any sort.

I tend to only read much when on holiday, so find the libraries on Aurora and Arcadia a real boon and make an early visit to take out my first couple of books. They certainly save me packing three or four books in my luggage!

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2021 at 11:29 PM, wowzz said:

More and more people are using ereaders so I  can understand if P&O decide to use the space for something that generates more profit for them.  We usually load our Kindles with plenty of reading material before we go but lots of people don't have ereaders and being an avid reader I remember the days when I would take several paperbacks with me and would then put them in the library for other people to use.  I do think for people who don't want to spend time in their room but want somewhere quiet to read the library maybe an essential.

Personally I am to nosy to read in a public place, I find that people watching trumps reading ☺️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

More and more people are using ereaders so I  can understand if P&O decide to use the space for something that generates more profit for them.  We usually load our Kindles with plenty of reading material before we go but lots of people don't have ereaders and being an avid reader I remember the days when I would take several paperbacks with me and would then put them in the library for other people to use.  I do think for people who don't want to spend time in their room but want somewhere quiet to read the library maybe an essential.

Personally I am to nosy to read in a public place, I find that people watching trumps reading ☺️

Thats my problem with (trying!) to read in a public place on a ship as I keep getting distracted with people watching.However if we have an inside cabin I do like to read in the library as it is one of the few places that doesn't have music playing.I read a lot of books but prefer a paper version so don't own a kindle.I can understand cruise companies wanting to use the space to generate other income but on QM2 the library was paricularly good and had a bookshop next door.The librarian even led the book group that met on the ship.As long as there is somewhere to swap books (even if they are Jeffrey Archer and similar) I will be happy

4 hours ago, purplesea said:

I do have a lot of books downloaded on my iPad but find that the light on the screen makes it more difficult to read outside, althoug I do prefer reading a  book. 

I would have thought reading a book in sunlight on a tablet or iPad would be nigh on impossible, whereas with a Kindle or similar there is no issue. 

Amazing how cheap Kindles are these days - I am still using the one I bought 10 years ago, and the equivalent today would cost half the price I paid for mine!

• 1 month later...

A floating section of Disney Wish was floated out last week, and Aida Cosma is due to float out today.

This should hopefully mean that Arvia's FERU should be moved into the dry dock and construction can start in earnest, whilst they are also working on Wish.

35 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

A floating section of Disney Wish was floated out last week, and Aida Cosma is due to float out today.

This should hopefully mean that Arvia's FERU should be moved into the dry dock and construction can start in earnest, whilst they are also working on Wish.

It will be interesting to see Arvia on the Meyer webcams and be able to follow her construction.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...