Fain Now Says Vaccines, Not New Protocols Will Allow Cruising To Restart

twangster

6 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Who is to say that America will just not walk away.  Who’s to say that they might not give them to countries that can’t afford it, or at least sell it at a discounted rate.

But the U.S have paid for this order yeah? So why walk away full stop? You are just given that order to Astra Zeneca to sell again or do you think Astra Zeneca will give the U.S it's money back? At least try and get some of the many millions back. I can see it maybe being a politically tough decision to give or discount to countries that can't afford it given the sheer amount of money the government has had to find in this pandemic. I think they will try for at least break even sale or even a very small profit to the taxpayer.

How much did we, the taxpayers, pay to Astra Zeneca for 500 million covid vaccines?    Wasn't it something like $1.2 billion?      

I wonder why we threw that much money into one company.     

Sure they may still produce something but at this point it doesn't look favorable for them. 

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

How much did we, the taxpayers, pay to Astra Zeneca for 500 million covid vaccines?    Wasn't it something like $1.2 billion?      

I wonder why we threw that much money into one company.     

Sure they may still produce something but at this point it doesn't look favorable for them. 

We spread it around to cover more bases.  Why we gave so much to this one company will no doubt be reviewed.  If it turned out they had the best vaccine few would be complaining.  Time will tell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, twangster said:

We spread it around to cover more bases.  Why we gave so much to this one company will no doubt be reviewed.  If it turned out they had the best vaccine few would be complaining.  Time will tell.

Yes, time it will take.  May not have enough vaccine till 3rd qtr so by then we will know more  if it is working.

21 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

...shame US put bulk of money into astra zeneca by pre ordering 500 million.  Like picking the wrong stock.

It's great to be a Monday morning quarterback.  No one knew how any of these vaccines would work when they ordered them while they were being developed.  Remember the approach was to have several shots on goal, hoping someone would be successful.  It's good news that Pfizer and Moderna appear to be very successful in the short term, but no one can confirm the long term results.    What happens if Pfizer and Moderna don't maintain their effectiveness over the long term but AZ has better long term effectiveness?  AZ may suddenly look a lot better, but no one really knows at this point.  Maybe AZ will work better in children or older people or maybe there will be fewer side effects.  At this point no one really knows, or maybe it isn't as good, no one knows.  But I'm glad they took several shots on goal. 

As far as your stock picking is concerned, I suggest that you consider a diversified portfolio, that's what the people at Warp Speed did.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

As far as your stock picking is concerned, I suggest that you consider a diversified portfolio, that's what the people at Warp Speed did.

Agreed, as other countries around the world did this as well.  Any smart country with the ability did this. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

It's great to be a Monday morning quarterback.  No one knew how any of these vaccines would work when they ordered them while they were being developed.  Remember the approach was to have several shots on goal, hoping someone would be successful.  It's good news that Pfizer and Moderna appear to be very successful in the short term, but no one can confirm the long term results.    What happens if Pfizer and Moderna don't maintain their effectiveness over the long term but AZ has better long term effectiveness?  AZ may suddenly look a lot better, but no one really knows at this point.  Maybe AZ will work better in children or older people or maybe there will be fewer side effects.  At this point no one really knows, or maybe it isn't as good, no one knows.  But I'm glad they took several shots on goal. 

Good point.

And as a side note...I'm laughing at your alias name. 😁

• Haha 1

Well then they might as well just bite the bullet, stand behind their words and cancel all cruises till 3rd quarter of 2021....cause thats going to be the time frame it's going to take for most of us to get vaccinated. Why are they still selling spring break sailings when we know thats never going to happen.

On 12/16/2020 at 6:30 AM, ace2542 said:

Are you sure about that. If the CDC can and attempts to maintain the restrictions then we know they are out to destroy the industry. And how do know the U.S government will declare the pandemic over? What is the criteria for that? Here in UK it is has been said that once the first vaccination run is completed it should prevent 99% of deaths and hospital admissions. If that statement comes to pass does that mean the pandemic in the UK is over? I can't answer that question.

Nonsense 

There is ZERO chance you can prevent 99% of your current hospitalizations with the number of vaccines you have in your first phase. 

1 hour ago, bajathree said:

Well then they might as well just bite the bullet, stand behind their words and cancel all cruises till 3rd quarter of 2021....cause thats going to be the time frame it's going to take for most of us to get vaccinated. Why are they still selling spring break sailings when we know thats never going to happen.

That's one timeline.  What if that is too pessimistic?  

No one knows right now.  If the J&J vaccine works and 100M doses reach the streets in April or May then a start before Q3 is quite possible. 

If you owned a restaurant or bar in your home town would you close it until Q3?

39 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Nonsense 

There is ZERO chance you can prevent 99% of your current hospitalizations with the number of vaccines you have in your first phase. 

Not current. But future ones apparently. So perhaps 6 weeks from now it could be a different game. I am just reading what this medical guy says.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55169799

We have at least 140k first shots done so far maybe even 160k by now. It was 137k yesterday. It must be going pretty fast. My father had his yesterday and whilst  he is tablet diabetic he is not in a care home but they rang him and 48 hours later he had it.

Edited by ace2542

On 12/14/2020 at 12:44 PM, A&L_Ont said:

He’s right.

Hopefully vaccines will allow him to get a haircut as well. 😉

100% correct.

Vaccinate the crew

Vaccinated passengers only

Toss out the masks 

Sucks for me, as I am way down the list for the shot.  But, I expect there will be a wider range of vaccines available when I am able to finally get it.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, twangster said:

That's one timeline.  What if that is too pessimistic?  

No one knows right now.  If the J&J vaccine works and 100M doses reach the streets in April or May then a start before Q3 is quite possible. 

The Director of Warp Speed was interviewed on CNBC yesterday and he seemed optimistic about J&J's vaccine.

21 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

The Director of Warp Speed was interviewed on CNBC yesterday and he seemed optimistic about J&J's vaccine.

Plus by the time this vaccine reaches the street distribution phases 1, 2  and possibly 3 should be nearly complete so the J&J vaccine can go straight towards any remaining phase 3 then phase 4 participants.

48 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

But, I expect there will be a wider range of vaccines available when I am able to finally get it

And you will get to choose your vaccine yes? Must be nice. I will likely the get the AZ vaccine pushed on me in the final grouping. Unless I am able to privately to the profit sector and pay for it in which case surely I should get to choose?. But it is by no means certain that will be able to happen.

Just now, ace2542 said:

And you will get to choose your vaccine yes? Must be nice. I will likely the get the AZ vaccine pushed on me in the final grouping. Unless I am able to privately to the profit sector and pay for it in which case surely I should get to choose?. But it is by no means certain that will be able to happen.

Might depend what health network one is part of - I want to weigh out all options and I'm sure down the line we will be able to (hopefully).    Who knows though?  By the time my turn to get poked comes around we will have much much more data on all these vaccines.  I will get the vax, just hope I have some options !!!

Just now, TheMastodon said:

Might depend what health network one is part of - I want to weigh out all options and I'm sure down the line we will be able to (hopefully).    Who knows though?  By the time my turn to get poked comes around we will have much much more data on all these vaccines.  I will get the vax, just hope I have some options !!!

Fwiw I think the Astra does prevent the nasal spread as well apparently. The others unknown on that front at this point in time.

1 hour ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the health protocols will continue for some time, even with a vaccine. We will be wearing masks and social distancing for some time yet.

I think what you mean is, the medical authorities will recommend social distancing and mask-wearing until it is determined 1) that enough of the population is vaccinated to generate herd immunity and 2) that the vaccine provides lasting, not temporary, protection against the virus.  

For cruising, mandating that passengers be vaccinated removes Item 1 from the equation.  Will we know enough regarding Item 2 by the summer to be confident?  We'll see.

Getting down to brass tacks, case numbers, positivity rates, and deaths will still be the main factors in people's behavior.  If, let's say, 45% of the population (not enough for herd immunity) has been immunized by June 1 but, because of that and other factors, cases, positive tests, and hospitalizations/deaths have plummeted (that last one because the most vulnerable have been immunized), state/local governments and people in general will have ZERO appetite for continuing to act as they are now.  People will go back to offices to work, ride public transit, attend sporting events and concerts, and go to bars and restaurants, whatever the medical authorities recommend for maximum caution.  Will cruise lines insist that people live a more restricted version of their lives on vacation than they do in "real" life?  I highly doubt it.

FTR, I am very serious about Covid protocols in my own life.  I don't want to cruise or risk spreading the virus to my family or to others anywhere.  I'm just prognosticating about the behavior of Americans in the above scenario, not saying what I will do or what I want others to do.  I want people to continue to take this thing seriously (or start to take it seriously, in some cases).

Edited by BeachyBrowns

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Plus by the time this vaccine reaches the street distribution phases 1, 2  and possibly 3 should be nearly complete so the J&J vaccine can go straight towards any remaining phase 3 then phase 4 participants.

Or those of us who prefer to only get poked once😇

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Thats not an apples to apples. 

If you are saying that the vaccine is the light at the end of the tunnel for cruising....then you darn well know that the majority, if not ALL, of these sailings they currently are marketing for March-June aren't going to sail.