Do You Like Christmas Cruises?

What are your thoughts on cruising during the Christmas Holidays?

From a crew members point of view, it is by far the busiest time of the year. The ships are near enough full capacity every week, and there are a lot more activities to do onboard compared to the rest of the year.

I personally really enjoy being onboard for New Years Eve.

Do you think the ships are too busy, or does this contribute to the overall atmosphere?

Chris Wong

• Like 3

In years past, before Christmas cruises became packed with many 3-generation families, I loved being aboard a ship at that time.  It was so good to get away from all the hometown stresses of office parties, decorations, shopping, everyone expecting gifts and parties, etc.

On a ship, I did love the caroling, children dressed up, decorations of all kinds, festive atmosphere.

Would I be on a ship right now, if I could?  Yes, I would, even though I know it would be crowded.

Have never sailed right over Christmas but last year DH and I were on Adventure a week prior so all the decorations were up.  My family doesn't actually celebrate Christmas, but the Promenade was very pretty with the big tree and they had a couple elaborate gingerbread houses (Promenade and Windjammer if I'm remembering correctly).  It was very pretty and impressive.

But if cruises are back running by Christmas 2021, then we will be on board for the first time over Dec 25th.  I'll be honest, that I hope that they have stuff going on that isn't just Christmas, but I think it'll be a really happy and pretty time to be on a cruise (everyone in a good mood and cheerful).  Looking forward to it...fingers crossed.

Am interested in reading comments of what the ship does over xmas.

Edited by LuCruise

41 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

I'll be honest, that I hope that they have stuff going on that isn't just Christmas, but I think it'll be a really happy and pretty time to be on a cruise (everyone in a good mood and cheerful).  Looking forward to it...fingers crossed.

Pretty much all the regular stuff still happens. with a few added extras for Christmas.  We never find it overwhelmingly Christmassy.  Most of it is just decorations throughout the ship.

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

The last few years we sailed the December cruises right before Christmas.  The festive atmosphere was contagious and the ships are decorated beautifully.🧑🏻🎄

This! My family doesnt want to cruise so I want to be home christmas day. I'm booked dec 12 to 19 on liberty next year and always enjoy the children's shows and decorations. It's a lot of fun.

We did a back2back for Christmas and New Years last year and loved it.   It was just the two of us as our kids are grown.  We had our big family Christmas celebration at home the weekend before we left for the cruise.  It worked out very well for the whole family as they were free to do their own celebrations on Christmas day at their own homes.

Probably won't get to do it again for a while as Hubby's company has changed the vacation rules over time off during Christmas and New Years.  However, we have decided to do a family cruise over Thanksgiving next year.  (fingers crossed).

• Like 1

We are one and done. Did a Christmas through New Years Hawaii cruise many years ago on the Celebrity Mercury.

Normally kids don't bother us but this time there were many unsupervised kids running free through out the cruise. Elevator stopping at every floor  a good share of the times gets old pretty old in a hurry. Other than that everything else was wonderful.

58 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Pretty much all the regular stuff still happens. with a few added extras for Christmas.  We never find it overwhelmingly Christmassy.  Most of it is just decorations throughout the ship.

Great, thanks for letting me know.  The decorations are really pretty.  Hoping we get to travel over xmas in 2021!

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Me too....a shorter drive for us in 2021...only as far as Port Canaveral and Harmony

Any bit of savings on driving helps.  We just cancelled Harmony for March break. Too bad as was really looking forward to her and seeing how Harmony compares to Symphony. Our xmas cruise is a rebook of Anthem that we both lost last March break.  

1 minute ago, LuCruise said:

Any bit of savings on driving helps.  We just cancelled Harmony for March break. Too bad as was really looking forward to her and seeing how Harmony compares to Symphony. Our xmas cruise is a rebook of Anthem that we both lost last March break.  

I had a NRD for our Symphony cruise.  I had enough FCC's to pay it off so I will wait for them to cancel and get all the FCC rolled into one instead of cancelling and having a few small ones for deposits kicking around.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I had a NRD for our Symphony cruise.  I had enough FCC's to pay it off so I will wait for them to cancel and get all the FCC rolled into one instead of cancelling and having a few small ones for deposits kicking around.

Makes sense...especially as you can't bundle FCCs.  And sadly we know that March will be cancelled.

Absolutely.. In last 4 years we had

2016 Celebrity Silhouette/Royal Princess

2017 Grandeur of the Seas

2018 Grandeur of the Seas

2019 Explorer of the Seas/Crown Princess

For Christmas and New Year. We cruise year around, but these were probably the best! So festive, cozy, beautiful, events filled

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 2

We found a New Years cruise to be the best of both worlds.  We could enjoy the decorations and the New Years Eve party.   Another thing we enjoyed we is going on one or 2 cruises before Christmas and watching them put up the decorations. 

Honestly, we prefer to be home for Christmas day so we did not do any actual Christmas cruises.  Maybe some day we will try one.

7 hours ago, LuCruise said:

I just looked at the itineraries for Christmas.  Looks like your first port stop is in Port Canaveral on the 26th.  Sadly that is the day our cruise ends in Port Canaveral. 

10 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I just looked at the itineraries for Christmas.  Looks like your first port stop is in Port Canaveral on the 26th.  Sadly that is the day our cruise ends in Port Canaveral. 

Yes, I just checked and that is correct.  We arrive at Port Canaveral on the 26th so our paths will cross. 🙂  The end of the cruise is hard.  I actually don't love our dates as we return on New Year's eve, but it's a sacrifice I'll take to get to cruise...lol.  

• Like 1