Cheers to You promo questions

I recently booked a cruise with the promo Cheers to You! free cheers.

I'm just wondering the details when you use it. Will the drink be wrung up and  additonal tax or gratudity be added to my bill each time? Does it already include this and tips?

I'm fine with either way, just wanting to know what to expect. This was a good deal for us as it was only $35 more each for my husband and I to get it. So as long as we each get say 4 or 5 drinks over the week it is a bonus.

TIA

Tips are supposedly added but if you give the bar tender a dollar bill each drink, better service. I bring dollar Bill's that the bar tender can keep for himself and not share. Try using the same bar for better service. I like the bloody Mary spicy mix about as well as with liquor. Even if not a big drinker, it makes a good morning juice for breakfast time.

Do try some mocktails or other included drinks. Soft drinks and the like dont count toward the 15 a day allowed. Try a mudslide. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

Taxes are not included - but taxes are only charged while in US ports. Or in US territorial waters, or something like that. So expect to pay a few cents when in US ports.

Tips are a little less clear... when you buy the package normally, you're charged an 18% service charge  for gratuity. Hopefully when they're giving us the package for free, they're also giving the same money to the bar staff. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, djb78 said:

Taxes are not included - but taxes are only charged while in US ports. Or in US territorial waters, or something like that. So expect to pay a few cents when in US ports.

Tips are a little less clear... when you buy the package normally, you're charged an 18% service charge  for gratuity. Hopefully when they're giving us the package for free, they're also giving the same money to the bar staff. 

Good points djb.

• Like 1

Just to clarify....on day 1, from the time you get on board until the time you hit international waters around 700 pm or so, you will be charged taxes at the state rate of your embarkation port per drink.  On top of that, if you stop at any US ports such as Key West, Port Canaveral or San Juan, you'll pay tax on a per drink basis.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Just to clarify....on day 1, from the time you get on board until the time you hit international waters around 700 pm or so, you will be charged taxes at the state rate of your embarkation port per drink.  On top of that, if you stop at any US ports such as Key West, Port Canaveral or San Juan, you'll pay tax on a per drink basis.

Well...we aren't sure of that for the "Free Cheers!" promo.  That is certainly how it works if you purchase the Cheers package under normal conditions.  We'll find out for sure when the rubber meets the road whenever someone actually sails with this promo.

14 hours ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

According to 4 different Carnival CS reps, taxes and gratuities are included in the Cheers package under the current promotion. 

This seems to indicate the taxes are included in the current promo.

15 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I've never heard that about stopping at US ports. Is that really true? I knew it was true when you boarded.

Laura

17 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

how can you pay taxes on something that is free?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, linbobky said:

how can you pay taxes on something that is free?

Under Cheers as it is currently set up, what I stated is 100% true and I have first hand experience with the program on 4 different cruises on the Horizon,  Breeze and Freedom.

Since no one has cruised yet under the new free Cheers for you program,  nobody has first hand experience yet and the per drink tax while in domestic waters could indeed be charged.

A comparable item would be the "free" included drinks as a perk on NCL.  If you choose it, you still pay a 20% gratuity.  It's obviously a pure money grab by NCL, but Carnival could do the same thing with the per drink tax in domestic waters.

2 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

I've never heard that about stopping at US ports. Is that really true? I knew it was true when you boarded.

Laura

Yes, anytime you're in US waters, you are charged tax.  If you stay on board while in the port of Key West, you pay FLA state sales tax per drink.

• Like 1

I have a different Cheers to you promo question.  Is this promo a one time only thing?  I used mine today then went to use it again later on a second cruise and the offer was gone.  I read through the fine print and saw nothing about it being a one-time use offer.  

47 minutes ago, imluvncruzn said:

I have a different Cheers to you promo question.  Is this promo a one time only thing?  I used mine today then went to use it again later on a second cruise and the offer was gone.  I read through the fine print and saw nothing about it being a one-time use offer.  

We were told by our PVP that it was a one time thing. We both individually, got the offer, so we were able to book 2 cruises using it. One under my number and one under my husband’s. 

8 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

We were told by our PVP that it was a one time thing. We both individually, got the offer, so we were able to book 2 cruises using it. One under my number and one under my husband’s. 

Ok thank you!  Me and my hubby both got the offers too but mine was better (RU2) than my hubby's (RU3).  Oh well!  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, imluvncruzn said:

Ok thank you!  Me and my hubby both got the offers too but mine was better (RU2) than my hubby's (RU3).  Oh well!  

So...just use your hubby's RU3 code.....be lucky you got them, I would pay to get a RU3....I got stuck with the RU9 and the RU3 would save me money over paying for Cheers.

On 1/3/2021 at 3:18 PM, familyoutdoors said:

I recently booked a cruise with the promo Cheers to You! free cheers.

I'm just wondering the details when you use it. Will the drink be wrung up and  additonal tax or gratudity be added to my bill each time? Does it already include this and tips?

I'm fine with either way, just wanting to know what to expect. This was a good deal for us as it was only $35 more each for my husband and I to get it. So as long as we each get say 4 or 5 drinks over the week it is a bonus.

TIA

On 1/3/2021 at 3:56 PM, bury me at sea said:

It is my understanding both taxes and tips are included with Cheers.

Happy sailing.

The tip  will be $9.35 split across all beverages ordered so if you have 10 beverages (alcohol, coffees, soda) the tip will be 93.5 cents per drink.  The tip will not be 18% of the drink cost.    If you have 15 beverages, the tip per drink will be 62 cents.  If you have 20 beverages, the tip per drink will be 47 cents.  

15 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Yes, anytime you're in US waters, you are charged tax.  If you stay on board while in the port of Key West, you pay FLA state sales tax per drink.

Well probably wouldnt stop in key west so dont have to worry about that. 2 piers I understand are owned by the city so the vote to no longer let large cruise ships dock stops carnival. The 3rd place to dock is appealing the decision. 

Key west voted no more big cruise ships, just the little expensive lines.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Well probably wouldnt stop in key west so dont have to worry about that. 2 piers I understand are owned by the city so the vote to no longer let large cruise ships dock stops carnival. The 3rd place to dock is appealing the decision. 

Key west voted no more big cruise ships, just the little expensive lines.

I just picked Key West as an easy example.  If you cruise out of NYC and stop at Port Canaveral or cruise out of Miami and stop at San Juan,  then you'll pay taxes in both of those port stops.

Edited by SNJCruisers

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

I just picked Key West as an easy example.  If you cruise out of NYC and stop at Port Canaveral or cruise out of Miami and stop at San Juan,  then you'll pay taxes in both of those port stops.

Would St. Thomas also be taxed?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 9:00 PM, imluvncruzn said:

Yes, one time per cruiser number. We have one booked with my number and another booked with my husband's number.