Let's speculate: Europe 2021 Cruises

HALrunner

On 1/27/2021 at 11:42 PM, izmeeh said:

I was to be on the Ryndam on 6/27 but it wouldn't be done by then so they switched me.  If they are to cancel, I'd rather that they cancel before final payment so I don't have to go through payment and cancelling other bookings.  

Ryndam  - Rotterdam

On 2/1/2021 at 3:41 AM, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Ryndam  - Rotterdam

Yeah.  They changed it from Ryndam to Rotterdam, which won't be done until July/August.  My original sailing was on 6/27.  I was pretty disappointed for not being able to be on a brand new ship.  Now, I probably won't be able to go at all.  

11 hours ago, izmeeh said:

Yeah.  They changed it from Ryndam to Rotterdam, which won't be done until July/August.  My original sailing was on 6/27.  I was pretty disappointed for not being able to be on a brand new ship.  Now, I probably won't be able to go at all.  

No worries if it goes, Rotterdam will definitely have the brand new car smell 😎

Edited by srpilo

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

at this point I think if we see any HAL cruises in Europe in 2021 actually operate it might be round-trip sailings from Rotterdam/Amsterdam and restricted ONLY to residents of select EU countries.  Similar to what Princess and P&O are doing from the UK

I’m still waiting for the update on Rotterdam premier. I just don’t believe it’s going to happen on August 1.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

at this point I think if we see any HAL cruises in Europe in 2021 actually operate it might be round-trip sailings from Rotterdam/Amsterdam and restricted ONLY to residents of select EU countries.  Similar to what Princess and P&O are doing from the UK

I would be inclined to disagree with you on this one.  The EU will take a political view and if sailings are permitted they will be for EU residents with the new (yet to be agreed) EU vaccine passport.  IF they permit travel for Vax Passport users from Europe, they will similarly permit travel for citizens of other countries who have a government issued Vax Pass.  (Possibly restricted to vaccines that have been approved for use within the EU).  

The EU Commission may not want to go this way, but the national governments of tourist attracting countries will be in trouble with their electorate if they do not succeed in reopening tourism by July at the latest.  

So, the bottom line will probably be, if the EU can agree within themselves to operate a Vax Passport system, then travel will reopen to all vaxed pax.

I think that speculation at this point is a waste of time.  The covid numbers in Europe are going the wrong way.

We were hoping to get an October land trip in to Greece and Cyprus.  Not even thinking about it now.  No reliable data, certainly no insight in to what may transpire over the next few months.  Let alone who may be admitted to what country or what the on board environment will be let alone what port stops will be open.

What are we not doing?  Nott making reservations of any kind.  Prepared to book last minute.  Hopeful, but not in the least bit optimistic.

Edited by iancal

On 3/18/2021 at 7:43 PM, iancal said:

I think that speculation at this point is a waste of time.  The covid numbers in Europe are going the wrong way.

We were hoping to get an October land trip in to Greece and Cyprus.  Not even thinking about it now.  No reliable data, certainly no insight in to what may transpire over the next few months.  Let alone who may be admitted to what country or what the on board environment will be let alone what port stops will be open.

What are we not doing?  Nott making reservations of any kind.  Prepared to book last minute.  Hopeful, but not in the least bit optimistic.

I am hopeful that Greece will reopen by the summer for folks from North America who have been vaccinated.  At least that is the goal of their Minister of Tourism who wants to reopen by May.  It will be very interesting to see if Greece and some other EU countries decide to move without the agreement of the EU.    Like you, we are not making any reservations but are prepared to book (on a moments notice) if we see positive indications.  One great advantage of being an independent traveler is the ability to move quickly with decisions and bookings when the situation is right.  We are already having some fun looking at possible Greek itineraries that would primarily consist of several islands that we enjoy.  DW and I have no desire to spend any significant time on the mainland.

Hank

• Like 1

Just now, Hlitner said:

I am hopeful that Greece will reopen by the summer for folks from North America who have been vaccinated.  At least that is the goal of their Minister of Tourism who wants to reopen by May.  It will be very interesting to see if Greece and some other EU countries decide to move without the agreement of the EU.    Like you, we are not making any reservations but are prepared to book (on a moments notice) if we see positive indications.  One great advantage of being an independent traveler is the ability to move quickly with decisions and bookings when the situation is right.  We are already having some fun looking at possible Greek itineraries that would primarily consist of several islands that we enjoy.  DW and I have no desire to spend any significant time on the mainland.   Your post did get me thinking about Cyprus (we have never been to that island) and now we will have some fun following up on your idea :).

Hank

We enjoyed Cyprus.  Six days at either end and a few days in the mountains.   We had two unallocated weeks when we went to Greece.  We planned on either Israel, Morocco, or Cyprus.   Israel had holidays in Oct.  We picked up a $40 flight to Cyprus from Athens and a $100 flight to London from Cyprus for our flight home.  It was a done deal in five minutes.  We enjoyed 28 degree sunny weather during the last week of October.

We plan to return to Cyprus and spend time touring the Turkish part of the island.

Edited by iancal

59 minutes ago, iancal said:

We enjoyed Cyprus.  Six days at either end and a few days in the mountains.   We had two unallocated weeks when we went to Greece.  We planned on either Israel, Morocco, or Cyprus.   Israel had holidays in Oct.  We picked up a $40 flight to Cyprus from Athens and a $100 flight to London from Cyprus for our flight home.  It was a done deal in five minutes.  We enjoyed 28 degree sunny weather during the last week of October.

We plan to return to Cyprus and spend time touring the Turkish part of the island.

Keep talking and you will have me sold :).  But we shall have to wait and see which countries (if any) open up in the next few months.  Right now Cyprus has pretty strict entry requirements.

Hank

What surprised us?  The wonderful museum in Nicosia.  The 5C plus degree drop in temp as we drove from the coast  up into the hills.  Seeing a sign for the Cyprus Ski Club, then going around the road bend and seeing the chair lift and the ski hill. 

Car rental easy, road are very good.  The differences between each side of Nicosia and how easy it is to walk across the border (you do need your passport).  Wonderful beaches, great food, friendly people.

Our plan for next trip is two weeks on Crete,  two weeks on Cyprus, and, two weeks Greek  island hopping, and another 1-2 weeks of where we have not decided on-perhaps the Turnish Med coast around Antalya.  IF, a very big IF, we can gain entry and covid is under control.

We had tentatively planned to pick up a cruise on our last trip but they were overpriced.  We did not see the value and were very happy that we decided on two weeks in Cyprus.

Edited by iancal