Let's speculate: Europe 2021 Cruises

HALrunner

Stay tuned!  The Westerdam is in the Pacific.  It’s anyone’s guess what will actually happen.  
@Mandalay1903 wishing you good luck next year.  We rebooked on the Westie,  I think this year the Volendam was also booked for Israel but that got changed.  Hopefully you will know far enough ahead.    We would have preferred waiting until the fall,  but preferred the ports and prices of the May cruise.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bennybear said:

wishing you good luck next year.

Thanks for the wishes. We are looking forward to a land trip on or own booked in Scotland in August/Sept 2021, similar to the one we had to cancel for the same dates in 2020. Hopefully this can take place. Our next cruise is November/Oosterdam/Australia. Looking forward to that...we shall see. 

Good luck to you next year on the Westerdam.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

We are on that cruise plus through the TA in November.  I'm watching for possible itinerary changes and possibly even change of ship, but unless there's just no European season at all, I expect (and hope) this will go. Maybe @AtlantaCruiser72has some insight? 

If our Celebrity Aug 9th cruise gets canceled we may book the whole 24 night Greek cruise on the Westerman. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Stay tuned!  The Westerdam is in the Pacific.  It’s anyone’s guess what will actually happen.  

And the Eurodam is in Europe, yet scheduled for Alaska ..Ummm ???

It's all the unknowing that's the toughest part 🙃

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 7:00 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I still have on the books a BTB Med cruise on Celebrity Constellation.  It was originally scheduled for Oct 2020, and I did Celebrity's "lift and shift" to move it to late September 2021 with a very similar itinerary.

Will it go?  I have no idea at this point but there is no good reason to either cancel it or move it for now, so I will wait it out.

Well here we are a week later and Celebrity just canceled my BTB cruises. They appear to have reduced by about half their capacity in Europe for 2021 -- they still have some ships there, but unfortunately not Constellation. They are also not offering anything great like their "lift and shift" from last year, so I will likely just get in line for my refund. Not the start to 2021 that I would've hoped for....

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bennybear said:

For when?  They were up to November 2022 last week.  

when I checked last night you had to click the promotional tab on the front page to see a few new ones.  They were not yet in "search", that is the filters

Europe should be fine by Autumn. I suggest booking for Autumn Baltic cruises. They are short, comfortable and quite safe in terms of population that chooses these types of cruises. Usually they are  less populated and consists of people from nearby countries 

3 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Europe should be fine by Autumn. I suggest booking for Autumn Baltic cruises. They are short, comfortable and quite safe in terms of population that chooses these types of cruises. Usually they are  less populated and consists of people from nearby countries 

Thank you for your confidence!

However Baltic cruises tend to be 12/14 days (+ travel to/from port)so not exactly 'short'.

Perhaps you mean Southern Norway cruises, which can be 7 days.

• Like 1

Just now, VMax1700 said:

Thank you for your confidence!

However Baltic cruises tend to be 12/14 days (+ travel to/from port)so not exactly 'short'.

Perhaps you mean Southern Norway cruises, which can be 7 days.

Even those that are only 7 days long I consider short. Its not like a transatlantic cruise or something. Its takes longer to get there in the first place. Moreover,  Southern Norway cruise is one of the most popular despite any crises 

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Carnival Cruise Line have cancelled the Carnival Legend for its European season.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-cruise-line-notifies-guests-cruise-cancellations-0

If you go to their website all European 2021 sailing are no longer available. Cancellation of all sailings appears imminent.

4 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

If you go to their website all European 2021 sailing are no longer available. Cancellation of all sailings appears imminent.

No surprise whatsoever.  Carnival Corp execs have been hinting that they do not expect cruising to start up until Q122

The OP asks us to speculate on Europe 2021 cruises!  Ok, I will speculate there will be no summer 2021 cruises in Europe open to those from outside of Europe.  Whether there will be some limited European cruises limited to Europeans is also a question.  

I remain convinced that the future of cruising lies with 100% mandatory vaccination policies.  It will also require COVID to be brought under control on land or else the ports will not be open to cruise most cruise ships.  Perhaps there will be some limited cruises (with passengers limited to a few nearby countries) but even this is in doubt with the failures in Europe and even the problem with a cruise out of Singapore (brought to a quick halt because of a single false positive COVID test).  I had hoped that great vaccine numbers might allow many cruises to start up by the summer, but now that seems very unlikely.    As to North Americans wanting to cruise in Europe in 2021, we first need to be allowed to fly to Europe!   When will this happen?  Perhaps there will be some flights by the Spring...which will likely have mandatory vaccination as part of the criteria.   This might open up some of Europe for land trips (especially those of us who can travel independently) but it is difficult to think of cruises resuming that quickly.

Hank

Bad News. Looks like no one will be cruising out of UK for a while. Not only is the UK variant more infectious, but also 30% more deadly. According to Boris...

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/22/boris-johnson-evidence-new-covid-variant-associated-with-higher-mortality-.html

You guys in the UK stay safe.

Global Euro new deaths per capita Jan 21.JPG

Edited by HappyInVan

1 minute ago, KirkNC said:

Agreed, heck we still maybe waiting to get vaccinated by then.

Good luck getting the vaccinations. Be persistent, and maybe you will get lucky.

DW said she was checking 4 times a day and never finding any until all of a sudden on 1/20 there were appointments available and she was able to make them for yesterday 1/22. It was even late enough they she could teach that day. (Though she did say she would take time off if it was necessary.) They made appointments for us 4 weeks later for the second shot, though we could not get the same time. (We are 15 minutes apart.) She checked a few hours later, and all appointments were filled.

My arm now hurts; hers does not. Odd, since it was the exact opposite with our yearly flu shot this winter. 

BTW, it was the Moderna vaccine that we received.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

My arm now hurts; hers does not. Odd, since it was the exact opposite with our yearly flu shot this winter. 

BTW, it was the Moderna vaccine that we received.

A little pain for a lot of gain!

Congrats on your first shot. 

We have been told it will be March (for that read April/May) before we get our first shots.

5 hours ago, KirkNC said:

As do I, I am starting to wonder more about 2022.

Ditto, including the 2022 GWV.  I hope that HAL will get off the fence fairly early, so we do not waste much time/money planning flights, hotel stays, and multiple excursions for 2022.  We can then shift our attention (and substantial FCCs) to 2023.

On 1/9/2021 at 8:58 AM, FlorenceItaly said:

I agree, as we are in SC and things are not moving quickly.  Our Governor announced a month or so ago, it would be slow to come.  Also, instead of 65 plus having some priority, it is 75 here.  Dh and I fall into the very last Phase, so I expect we are looking at Spring/Summer as they have indicated.  At one time the Governor said it may be until the end of the year until everyone is vaccinated.

Priority for 75 and above?  Here in FL it's 65 which makes it infinitely more difficult for we over 75 to get on a queue.  I'll have to give thought for visiting nephew and niece in Mount Pleasant to get a better chance of being inoculated!