Let's speculate: Europe 2021 Cruises

HALrunner

19 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

One thing to bear in mind is that Europe is not doing well in the vaccination rosters.

Seems to be going slow all over Europe. (Excepting UK which is only geographically in Europe and is doing better than most.)

If the populations are not vaccinated then governments will not open the countries to tourists.

Agree.  Hopefully vaccinations speed up everywhere 🤞 

43 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I guess those of us in the US should take solace that we are not alone in slow vaccine deployment.  Given our handling of this pandemic, we assume it is just us. 

i think you are saying "Misery loves company.". However, it is a world wide pandemic, and we really need it gone everywhere. And that is especially true for those who travel.

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

i think you are saying "Misery loves company.". However, it is a world wide pandemic, and we really need it gone everywhere. And that is especially true for those who travel.

Yes in essence, I just find it unbelievable that we had nine months to plan for vaccine distribution and inoculation and we are doing so poorly.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KirkNC said:

Yes in essence, I just find it unbelievable that we had nine months to plan for vaccine distribution and inoculation and we are doing so poorly.

Let us hope the new planners who take over on January 20th do a better job.

• Like 2

Just now, ontheweb said:

Let us hope the new planners who take over on January 20th do a better job.

Let’s hope but I think this is more of a state issue.  The federal government can provide more funding, that would help.  NC is the 6th slowest in vaccines in arms.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KirkNC said:

Let’s hope but I think this is more of a state issue.  The federal government can provide more funding, that would help.  NC is the 6th slowest in vaccines in arms.

I have no cite, but I think I either read or saw on the news that the present administration is holding back 1/2 of the 20 million doses for second vaccinations while the incoming administration is signaling that it will release all those doses. 

3 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I agree, as we are in SC and things are not moving quickly.  Our Governor announced a month or so ago, it would be slow to come.  Also, instead of 65 plus having some priority, it is 75 here.  Dh and I fall into the very last Phase, so I expect we are looking at Spring/Summer as they have indicated.  At one time the Governor said it may be until the end of the year until everyone is vaccinated.

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I have no cite, but I think I either read or saw on the news that the present administration is holding back 1/2 of the 20 million doses for second vaccinations while the incoming administration is signaling that it will release all those doses. 

True but that’s a CDC decision not a political one.  Plus the problem is not that the distribution points don’t have vaccines, they have millions of doses unused already.  Releasing more doesn’t get any more in people’s arms.  The problem centers on giving shots.  Releasing all the produced vaccines also potentially creates a problem if future production can’t keep up.  Then you potentially have people who have received the first shot but can’t get a second one.

4 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I agree, as we are in SC and things are not moving quickly.  Our Governor announced a month or so ago, it would be slow to come.  Also, instead of 65 plus having some priority, it is 75 here.  Dh and I fall into the very last Phase, so I expect we are looking at Spring/Summer as they have indicated.  At one time the Governor said it may be until the end of the year until everyone is vaccinated.

We will also be in the last group which is fine but the line needs to move much faster.

• Like 3

It seems that many governments both national and local are still not prepared for the distribution and administration of the vaccine.  However short supply from the manufacturers must surely be a factor in the world wide uptake.  The EU have recently changed their approval for the BioNTech-Pfizer vaccine to allow for 6 doses to be prepared from each vial of raw vaccine, instead of the current 5 doses.  Apparently this was done at the request of the manufacturers and gives an increase of 20% of the number available doses.

Just now, KirkNC said:

With nine months to plan this thing why are they not using military and national guard personnel to setup shot centers at arenas and other large venues to give shots.

Agree!  

Also there is a massive shortage of hospital beds and ICU beds here.  For 9 months 'they' have been warning us about 2nd and 3rd waves, but 'they' have made no preparations for care for those infected by the subsequent waves.

We now have a 3rd variant - from South Africa which is said to be even more virulent than the UK variant or the original.

12 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

With nine months to plan this thing why are they not using military and national guard personnel to setup shot centers at arenas and other large venues to give shots.

Agree with all the comments about the apparent lack of preparation when all anyone has been talking about for 6 months is a vaccine. On a personal note, my wife and I were lucky enough to stumble on an available reservation time in a county North of us in Central Fl. Got our first shot last Sunday with a follow up appointment in 28 days.(Assuming the new Admin. doesn't screw that up)

The reservation system in Florida is a nightmare with crashing web sites and long lines of seniors waiting for a shot that may or may not be available. However, the location that we went to was a drive thru inoculation run by the National Guard. Incredibly well organized by friendly and professional people. Based on that limited experience I would be in favor of turning the whole system over to them. Either that or the commercial pharmacies which are used to this. County Health Depts. are way over their heads down here. 

3 hours ago, KirkNC said:

True but that’s a CDC decision not a political one.  Plus the problem is not that the distribution points don’t have vaccines, they have millions of doses unused already.  Releasing more doesn’t get any more in people’s arms.  The problem centers on giving shots.  Releasing all the produced vaccines also potentially creates a problem if future production can’t keep up.  Then you potentially have people who have received the first shot but can’t get a second one.

I too wondered about the second dose when I heard that news as the reason for holding back the vaccine was for second doses to be available.

None of this has been well thought out even though as you pointed out there had been a lot of time that could have been spent on planning.

We will also be in the last group which is fine but the line needs to move much faster.

DW heard on the news that she may be moving up as our Governor has now given teachers a higher priority. But, when she waited to hear the story after that teaser, there were really no details.

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I found a news article backing this up.

Biden Plans to Release Nearly All Available Covid-19 Vaccine Doses (msn.com)

I saw the Biden plan and shook my head in dismay.  It goes against FDA recommendations and could cause a problem on those looking to get their second dose.  He plans on using the Defense Production Act to ramp up more vaccine creation.  I don’t see how that is at all a feasible plan.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/pharmacy/biden-to-release-all-covid-19-vaccine-doses-instead-of-stockpiling-2nd-round.html

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I saw the Biden plan and shook my head in dismay.  It goes against FDA recommendations and could cause a problem on those looking to get their second dose.  He plans on using the Defense Production Act to ramp up more vaccine creation.  I don’t see how that is at all a feasible plan.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/pharmacy/biden-to-release-all-covid-19-vaccine-doses-instead-of-stockpiling-2nd-round.html

Given the slow pace of first shots, it may not be a problem but they better be darn sure about it before they make that decision.  As I said earlier, to me it’s a solution looking for a problem. There are millions of doses sitting around right now, adding to that stockpile doesn’t accomplish anything.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

DW heard on the news that she may be moving up as our Governor has now given teachers a higher priority. But, when she waited to hear the story after that teaser, there were really no details.

I think teachers should be in one of the early groups.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I really don't know how much good thats going to do. The problem is not getting the vaccine out to the states, the issue is getting the vaccines into folks arms. For example, our local news reported last night that here in SC, we have only used 31% of that received. Which is far above the national average of only 19%. The distribution of vaccines to the states is working as designed, it is the final stage of jabbing folks arms that is way behind and thats going to take people (and $$) to make it work. 

I tried searching for some stats on how many people can a tech inject per hour, but have not found out. I know that when I went to get my Shingles vaccine recently it took around 15 minutes from the time I sat down to the point of getting jabbed. 

I think teachers should be in one of the early groups.

Here in SC they just split up the groups and created a 1a, 1b and 1c. Teachers are now in the 1b group I believe. Getting them vaccinated will help with getting schools opened up again, as all this remote learning has really been a fail in terms of educating our children. Recent test results here in SC showed a failure rate of 4x for elementary and jr high school. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevingastreich said:

There seems to be an unusually large group of people who are being called "Vaccine Hesitant".

I’m not sure how large the group is but we are among them.  We have time to see more data from multiple sources and then make an informed decision.