The Daily for Thursday Jan 7, 2021

richwmn

Good morning and thanks Rich, Roy et al!  
I too love old rocks, we have a few big erratics nearby as well.  Also like sparkly old ones😍

Hope things calm in the US, and peace and order are restored.   
Busy getting my cancelled cruise credited.  Thankfully, our TA called and was able to get all the credits extended.  I am thankful HAL was fair.  

What a day yesterday was!  Thankfully on a positive note, We did have a lovely sighting of a little Northern Pygmy owl that is the size of a can of pop.  I’ve never seen one before! 

0AEBB485-1429-4271-9923-57B5208DE6BE.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 21

6 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Joy, I wonder if certain breeds of cats would not cause Allen a problem. I know there are dog breeds, but not sure about cats.

My DIL is allergic to cats, but has two Russian Blues that cause her no problems at all. I'm told it's a difference between fur and hair, and the dander that collects. I don't know for sure, but they make wonderful grandcats!

I gifted said DIL with an RBG bobble head for Christmas. She loved it!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Question for Canadian Dailyites--How do Canadians feel about the vaccines.  Do you have as many anti-vaxxers as we do?

Roy

I've heard that here in BC, some people who are being offered the vaccine are being hesitant.  I think they are being allowed to go without at the moment, with the hope that as more people are  safely vaccinated, their hesitancy will dissipate.  There's plenty more who do want it!

At the moment, I think the only people getting the jab are care workers, the elderly in residential situations and hospitals (and I think some hospital workers) and indigenous people.  Numbers are only in the few thousands.  The "trickle-down" theory at work.

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

They're adorable!

On Penguin Island Conservation area, WA, there is evidently a large nesting population of fairy penguins - you can walk around on raised walkways (penguin headroom!) and see the areas where they nest in burrows.

P1030835.jpeg.428316ca256566a9e3f99add38ee8ebe.jpeg

• Like 11

I seem to remember some posters having their stoves die?  did you jinx me? had to buy a new stove today the bake option died, ever try to cook a meal on broil ?  just won’t work so that was my day.  won’t even say anything about the crazies in washington yesterday.  I think we need more mental hospitals so these nut cases can have their heads examined, just too sad.   wow I love that giant rock, the itty bitty penguins ,the  meal suggestions, that drink sounds yummy , that sweet little owl, well I could go on but I thank you all for all you share.  please be careful and stay safe. Linda

• Like 14

Just now, zigdilcru said:

I seem to remember some posters having their stoves die?  did you jinx me? had to buy a new stove today the bake option died, ever try to cook a meal on broil ?  just won’t work so that was my day.  won’t even say anything about the crazies in washington yesterday.  I think we need more mental hospitals so these nut cases can have their heads examined, just too sad.   wow I love that giant rock, the itty bitty penguins ,the  meal suggestions, that drink sounds yummy , that sweet little owl, well I could go on but I thank you all for all you share.  please be careful and stay safe. Linda

I am so sorry.   I started the stove death spiral.   I hope you got a good deal on your new one and that there are new features that you'll love.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, zigdilcru said:

You just got to join an exclusive club!  Sigh!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, zigdilcru said:

Another incurable stove victim! If not too late - stay away from LG.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, bennybear said:

He or she was So cute, like a Fuzzy tennis ball.   But I hear they’re ferocious hunters of voles and mice. 

Gee, if it would like to become a “snowbird”, my neighbors and I would pitch in for transportation. In return, it can eliminate our vole tribe. We probably have mice, too. And Bindi loves flying creatures. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 6

Good day to all!

Sorry for being so late today, as it is currently 9.25pm and as a true HAL cruiser, I will be retiring to bed soon.  DW is watching Bridgerton (?) on Netflix.

I thought I would share a snow picture with you.  This was our garden this morning.  We rarely get snow here, and an amount like this would have been enough to bring traffic gridlock if we were not already in lockdown and there is very little traffic.  It would be a good bet that this will be the only snow we will have for at least 12 months. Or to put it another way, I hope to have at least 2 cruises done before it snows here again.  ☺️

20210107_092339.jpg

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Good day to all!

Sorry for being so late today, as it is currently 9.25pm and as a true HAL cruiser, I will be retiring to bed soon.  DW is watching Bridgerton (?) on Netflix.

I thought I would share a snow picture with you.  This was our garden this morning.  We rarely get snow here, and an amount like this would have been enough to bring traffic gridlock if we were not already in lockdown and there is very little traffic.  It would be a good bet that this will be the only snow we will have for at least 12 months. Or to put it another way, I hope to have at least 2 cruises done before it snows here again.  

I have to laugh! I spent my formative years in New England, where it was expected that you drive in the snow - unless the Governor ordered essential travel only.

The year I moved to DC, we had less than the accumulation you show, and they shut down the Federal Government! 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Good day to all!

I thought I would share a snow picture with you.  This was our garden this morning.  We rarely get snow here, and an amount like this would have been enough to bring traffic gridlock if we were not already in lockdown and there is very little traffic.  It would be a good bet that this will be the only snow we will have for at least 12 months. Or to put it another way, I hope to have at least 2 cruises done before it snows here again.  ☺️

20210107_092339.jpg

How pretty!

How are the vaccinations going in Ireland?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Shouldn't have said what I did - evidently BC has administered more than a few thousand - I just checked the vaccine tracker.   

1427727611_ScreenShot2021-01-07at12_52_01PM.thumb.jpeg.02b287e0248b5683895aff3753d0bee1.jpeg

I wonder how some of these are working.  The territories in particular pose a particular challenge and I know the Pfizer vaccine comes in vials of 6 doses that must be used very quickly after they leave the deep freeze.  I wonder if the Yukon folks were people who were already going to bigger cities for health checks and getting vaccinated in the process.

Roy

• Like 3

Good afternoon everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and I hope Callie and Leo are helping. Thank you for your lists Roy and I really love when you include a picture of your alternate meal suggestion. I wish I had that lovely blue pattern your bread was on.  I love all your sunrise pictures, probably because I’m never awake at sunrise. 

@Cruising-along  I thought the same thing when I read old rock, thought it was old rock and roll.  I absolutely love tempura and have to order it if I see it on a menu. I don’t have any bobble heads but they are cute in their own way. Passing on the menu suggestion and drinks, thinking of having the lobster ravioli I bought at Trader Joe’s as an easy dinner because DGD is still with us and I usually have to make a separate meal for her.....she’s very picky, much like her father was as a child just not as bad. Before having children I would have said that being a picky eater was silly but after having a daughter who loved everything (and still does) and a son who doesn’t changed my thinking. 

Praying for all on the prayer list and more and for healing. 

Also, @Seasick Sailor, I am so sorry about Sophie. I’m sure she is going to love her new home but also know how hard it must have been for you. I hope DH feels better. Gosh, and I thought Sophie was a calico!

@kazu, I loved your rock pictures. It really brought up a memory. When we had our wedding rehearsal and the pastor asked us to join right hands, I kept using my left hand. The next day on the way to the wedding my stepfather handed me a rock, asked for my right hand (so of course I gave him my left hand), he put the rock in my hand and written on it was “turn me over” and it said something like “I said your right hand”. Thanks for the memory. 

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 11

25 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

How are the vaccinations going in Ireland?

Very slowly!  So far only over 65's in care homes, their carers and some hospital staff. Vaccinations didn't start until January.

Until this week only 1 vaccine (Pfizer) had been approved.  This week the Moderna vaccine has been approved.  All approvals need to come from the EU and they are quite slow.  We expect it will be April or May at soonest before we get vaccinated.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1