CDC no longer prohibiting cruises longer than seven days?

Someone on our rollcall for Independence this May on FB posted that just in the last month they were allowed to book a seven week back to back stretch, and that their reservations agent at Royal was happy to allow them to do this. I was under the impression that no cruises longer than seven days nor any back to back‘s were allowed that included a US port? wasn’t that a CDC restriction that had been put in place? Suddenly it’s been lifted? Now I’m confused. 

Rcl has not stated anything.

Princess IT however is blocking b2b bookings thru nov 1, 2021, the date of the cdc protocols. Also one of the big wigs recently at princess said people will have to pick which leg they want.

Just because rcl IT doesnt block it, and they havent said anything means nothing. No it hasnt been lifted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure I've ever seen anything that specifically prohibits B2B cruises, but that certainly wouldn't be in the spirit of the CDC regulations.  However, there has been a lot of speculation that cruises would require some pre-cruise Covid testing.  I'm not sure how you could do that while you are on a cruise.  If all of the cruises are 7 days or less, that seems to be ok.

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The CDC order didn't mention anything about B2Bs, just the length of a single cruise.

The princess big wig said something about the pre cruise protocols stopping b2bs.

The required covid test 1 to 3 days before you board might be what he meant.

No one knows how the cdc will view b2b that are longer than 7 days total. Not knowing isnt the same as it's ok, the 7 days has been lifted.

Just because rcl will take your money....they will also still let you book march 2021, any bets if that goes?

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The cruises this person specifically booked are eight day and six day consecutive segments... and it would make total sense to disallow back to back cruises if the total is more than seven days. Otherwise, someone could book 37 day cruises in a row for a total of 21 days… Which kind of defeats the purpose of what the CDC is trying to do. 

The point of the restriction on cruise greater than 7 days was to ensure proximity to ample medical facilities should there be a problem.  Plus with the majority of cruises being 7 nights or less, it was an easy cutoff.

People will be tested before they get off anyway, so that would serve as your pre-cruise test for the next leg.

But if the actual cruises here are 8/6 swaps, then it makes sense not to allow B2B on them.

Edited by smokeybandit

19 minutes ago, nunuc2000 said:

Someone on our rollcall for Independence this May on FB posted that just in the last month they were allowed to book a seven week back to back stretch, and that their reservations agent at Royal was happy to allow them to do this. I was under the impression that no cruises longer than seven days nor any back to back‘s were allowed that included a US port? wasn’t that a CDC restriction that had been put in place? Suddenly it’s been lifted? Now I’m confused. 

What are the dates of the cruises? Are they past November 2021?

1 hour ago, nunuc2000 said:

The cruises this person specifically booked are eight day and six day consecutive segments... and it would make total sense to disallow back to back cruises if the total is more than seven days. Otherwise, someone could book 37 day cruises in a row for a total of 21 days… Which kind of defeats the purpose of what the CDC is trying to do. 

I read rcl pulled all bookings of 8 days or longer thru nov 1st 2021. Are you sure the date isnt further out. Rcl cant sell cruises of 8 days and removed them thru 11/1/21. Something is off, either the cruise date is further out or they didnt book a 8 day. Rcl is prohibited from selling them. 

23 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I read rcl pulled all bookings of 8 days or longer thru nov 1st 2021. Are you sure the date isnt further out. Rcl cant sell cruises of 8 days and removed them thru 11/1/21. Something is off, either the cruise date is further out or they didnt book a 8 day. Rcl is prohibited from selling them. 

Exactly what I thought… And exactly what I said to that person and they insisted that the Royal Caribbean agent on the phone let them book cruises that were 6-8-6-8-6-8-6-8 days... seven weeks in a row… On the independence of the seas. I am questioning whether she knows what she is talking about or perhaps just out right lying. But she keeps insisting that she managed to book exactly that just last month. Hmmmmm... 

I think the big hang up with longer cruises is that some of them, such as transAtlantics and transPacifics, is the distances they could be from proper medical help in case they have a major virus outbreak. Say you get a major outbreak in the middle of the Atlantic or Pacific, about 1/2 way ( 3-4 days), what do you do?. Ship’s max speed is 25 mph max and too far for normal helicopters.

I would be o.k. With a COVID test if it was a B2B but I don’t think I would risk a TA or TP, as we are in the high risk category.

19 minutes ago, nunuc2000 said:

Exactly what I thought… And exactly what I said to that person and they insisted that the Royal Caribbean agent on the phone let them book cruises that were 6-8-6-8-6-8-6-8 days... seven weeks in a row… On the independence of the seas. I am questioning whether she knows what she is talking about or perhaps just out right lying. But she keeps insisting that she managed to book exactly that just last month. Hmmmmm... 

I just checked that ship and only 6 days are for sale, no 8 days. Look and see for yourself.

20210109_165838066.jpeg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BillHana said:

We have 7 day B2B booked on Jewel in Boston for September 2021. My TA just confirmed with RCL that there is no problem with this booking.

Since rcl has no official position yet, what would you expect the rep to say? If she said no it wasnt ok, and you came running here she could lose her job. Reps arent there to state positions rcl hasnt announced. I would take it as a maybe and cross your fingers things are better by sept.

We currently have 3 b2b's booked.  First is in May out of CL on Freedom-not happening as far as we're concerned.  Second is on Harmony in Dec and 3rd on Enchantment in April 2022.

There has been nothing stated about b2b's except speculation by individuals.

Edited by BND

43 minutes ago, BND said:

We currently have 3 b2b's booked.  First is in May out of CL on Freedom-not happening as far as we're concerned.  Second is on Harmony in Dec and 3rd on Enchantment in April 2022.

There has been nothing stated about b2b's except speculation by individuals.

2 of yours are past the nov 1st date anyway.

Princess blocked b2bs until nov 1st 2021 and someone posted what a big wig at princess said, the pre cruise protocols, so one line has said why publically.

True, and I dont expect rcl to come out saying anything since they arent sailing anytime soon. No need actually. 

4 hours ago, BillHana said:

We have 7 day B2B booked on Jewel in Boston for September 2021. My TA just confirmed with RCL that there is no problem with this booking.

Yes, rcl is still allowing people to book b2b cruises.  They truly have no idea whether or not they will be permitted.  I booked one right before the conditional sail order was issued and I asked rcl and was told they are allowed to book and hopefully will be able to sail.

Just have to be flexible and know that it may not be able to happen.