Protocols and embarkation procedures once cruising starts again

beachbum53

3 hours ago, Jamesatgsu said:

I use the stairs primarily on most cruises. But of course that isn't an option for lots of cruisers, and it can be a pain depending on ship layout and room location. 

And you don't think the stairs will be crowded, especially if there are restrictions on the use of the elevators?

BTW, we also mostly use the stairs.

43 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And you don't think the stairs will be crowded, especially if there are restrictions on the use of the elevators?

The only times that stairs should be crowded would be near the MDR at dinner time.  Muster drill will probably be app driven similar to how Royal has announced their new procedure, which would alleviate crowding at the worst time on a cruise.

I am really hoping that a vaccination passport and masks are required.  If there us too much worry over social distancing, it’s probably too early to cruise.  I have rebooked for 12/22.  I would consider something before that if we somehow make a miraculous turn in our war against Covid,  I will never understand why some  on these boards want to go even if it is not safe.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

The only times that stairs should be crowded would be near the MDR at dinner time.  Muster drill will probably be app driven similar to how Royal has announced their new procedure, which would alleviate crowding at the worst time on a cruise.

How about leaving the theater? How about disembarkation, especially for those who want to self disembark because they have an early flight?

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

How about leaving the theater? How about disembarkation, especially for those who want to self disembark because they have an early flight?

You're correct, but I listed the top two in my opinion.  Personally I don't think it's going to be a big deal since everyone  will be vaccinated and masked up.  You're delusional if you don't  think that everyone  on board will have to be vaccinated and even with this in place, masks will still be required for awhile.  This of course is all speculation, but it's reasonable and logical speculation since the cruise lines can't afford another catastrophe.

6 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

I'm sure this will be taken down, but it's not a war against Covid, it's a war against capitalism and "safe" is a relative term.  This virus is less deadly than the flu statistically, even with the admittedly inflated numbers.

How can you make such claims?

"During the 2019-2020 influenza season, CDC estimates that influenza was associated with 38 million illnesses, 18 million medical visits, 405,000 hospitalizations, and 22,000 deaths."

That's about the same number of people who have died of COVID-19 in just my state, Florida.  Meanwhile, there have been over 370,000 deaths from COVID-19 in the US in one year.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 4

DH and I hope that proof of vaccination will be required for cruising - no vaccination, no cruising. We had our first shot 2 weeks ago and the second will be in 2 weeks. This will impact families trying to cruise as children under 16 cannot be vaccinated. We don't want any unvaccinated passengers on board with us. The vaccines have a 95% efficacy rate, so there is still that 5% window of contracting Covid.

We also hope the safety lecture/demonstration can be viewed in our cabin with our room stewards checking each cabin to make sure passengers are watching it and reporting those who aren't in their cabins.

We don't take excursions anymore after 55 cruises, but it makes sense to require passengers to take only ship-sponsored ones and no one should be allowed to just exit the ships and wander around the islands in case vaccinations are not required for sailing.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2021 at 10:30 AM, Djptcp said:

DH and I hope that proof of vaccination will be required for cruising - no vaccination, no cruising. We had our first shot 2 weeks ago and the second will be in 2 weeks. This will impact families trying to cruise as children under 16 cannot be vaccinated. We don't want any unvaccinated passengers on board with us. The vaccines have a 95% efficacy rate, so there is still that 5% window of contracting Covid.

We also hope the safety lecture/demonstration can be viewed in our cabin with our room stewards checking each cabin to make sure passengers are watching it and reporting those who aren't in their cabins.

We don't take excursions anymore after 55 cruises, but it makes sense to require passengers to take only ship-sponsored ones and no one should be allowed to just exit the ships and wander around the islands in case vaccinations are not required for sailing.

I sincerely hope you and your DH do not have a reaction to the 2nd round of vaccine.  I received my first dose and had very mild reaction to it; however, the larger reactions are occurring from the second shot.  Just from my circle of acquaintaces I know several people who's arms swelled up twice it's normal size a week after the shot, another developed bumps on her face from the vaccine and a friends nephew was just found brain dead this morning after receiving the vaccine.  Could he have died from the vaccine?  Sure.  Could he have died from something else?  Sure.  We don't know yet.  What I do know is that the rate of severe reactions resulting from the vaccine are more than the chance of death from the vaccine.  I, for one, will not be taking the next dose and if that means no more cruising, then so be it.  I've said this a lot lately, be careful what you wish for.

remember though on the crowding the ships will probably only sail at 60% capacity the first year or so.

i just booked a couple for 2022 and one for 2023 and that is what the PVP told me. book early because once cruising starts there will be capacity limits. they just have no idea now when starting or how long capacity will be at 60 %.

On 1/11/2021 at 8:01 PM, ontheweb said:

Perhaps. I'm always amazed watching masses of people huddle around the elevators on boarding day.

13 hours ago, Jamesatgsu said:

Perhaps. I'm always amazed watching masses of people huddle around the elevators on boarding day.

I will admit that huddling around the elevators, to cram in on Deck 3 (or whatever) and then get out on the Lido and head straight for a drink, is part of that initial rush of excitement: it tells my brain/body that we really are going on a cruise!

• Like 2

I had my yearly visit with my allergist/immunologist yesterday, and we had a good discussion re: COVID-19 and the vaccine.  I had my questions ready!  He and his wife are also cruisers.  He strongly thinks that the cruise lines will require proof of COVID-19 vaccinations prior to cruising - he just didn't see anyway around it. Too risky for all involved.  He also recommends the vaccine to all who are eligible for it.  And even with a strong number of people getting the vaccine (which remains to be seen), he doesn't see a great improvement in the overall situation until fall of 2021.  He also mentioned the reactions people are having to the 2nd dose - mostly a day or two of a low grade fever and a little achy - recommended just taking acetaminophen or the like.  So far, that's the most common reaction.  My nurse friend said the same.  She works at the largest hospital in our state, and that's what they are seeing, too.  And as far as the numbers being falsified, tell that to those who have lost loved ones.  (When this all started almost a year ago, I was one of those who thought it to be nothing more than a hoax in an election year. Not any more.)  My husband and I plan to get the vaccine, especially if that's what it takes to cruise again.  Blessings to all no matter what you decide! 🥰

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

And as far as the numbers being falsified, tell that to those who have lost loved ones.  (When this all started almost a year ago, I was one of those who thought it to be nothing more than a hoax in an election year. Not any more.)  My husband and I plan to get the vaccine, especially if that's what it takes to cruise again.  Blessings to all no matter what you decide! 🥰

This is the best post of the week!

Seems simple: you initially believed one thing, then you saw contradictory facts, then you changed your view based on those facts.

Cheers to you, LHARTWICK. That's the way mainstream thinking in the country used to work: logic and intelligence, with a dose of humility so we'd acknowledge if we were wrong & then change course.

But it's so very, very rare now.

And that's why after 400,000 deaths and a GLOBAL pandemic, we still see "patriots" sneering at Fauci, refusing masks and proudly insisting "it's all a hoax."

Which, my friends, is part of why the resumption of cruising will remain delayed. The U.S. has one of the worst COVID records in the world & thus zero hope of cruising in the first half of 2021.

Edited by EscapeFromConnecticut
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, LHARTWICK said:

I had my yearly visit with my allergist/immunologist yesterday, and we had a good discussion re: COVID-19 and the vaccine.  I had my questions ready!  He and his wife are also cruisers.  He strongly thinks that the cruise lines will require proof of COVID-19 vaccinations prior to cruising - he just didn't see anyway around it. Too risky for all involved.  He also recommends the vaccine to all who are eligible for it.  And even with a strong number of people getting the vaccine (which remains to be seen), he doesn't see a great improvement in the overall situation until fall of 2021.  He also mentioned the reactions people are having to the 2nd dose - mostly a day or two of a low grade fever and a little achy - recommended just taking acetaminophen or the like.  So far, that's the most common reaction.  My nurse friend said the same.  She works at the largest hospital in our state, and that's what they are seeing, too.  And as far as the numbers being falsified, tell that to those who have lost loved ones.  (When this all started almost a year ago, I was one of those who thought it to be nothing more than a hoax in an election year. Not any more.)  My husband and I plan to get the vaccine, especially if that's what it takes to cruise again.  Blessings to all no matter what you decide! 🥰

Covid became politicized. Trust is not easy. Being on a cruise ship can be a petri dish for disease to the vulnerable.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 1:48 AM, Ellaleah said:

I am really hoping that a vaccination passport and masks are required.  If there us too much worry over social distancing, it’s probably too early to cruise.  I have rebooked for 12/22.  I would consider something before that if we somehow make a miraculous turn in our war against Covid,  I will never understand why some  on these boards want to go even if it is not safe.

Two reasons: Not everyone agrees that it's "not safe," and many of us don't like others' definition of "not safe" deciding for everybody. Personally, I know that life is inherently full of risk, but I am a free adult and believe I should be able to make choices for myself. I don't know about life where you are, but I live near Washington, DC and I know a LOT of people who are comfortable with the COVID-19 lockdowns, yet these same individuals walk the city streets where they're more likely to get robbed or shot than contract COVID-19 (which they're statistically likely to recover from, anyway), and they still drive cars (which kills lots of people in accidents), and the list goes on. So that's your answer as to why some of us want to go on cruises. If you don't feel safe, then don't go. Just don't make that decision for me. (side note: I've had COVID and recovered from it, and I also plan to get vaccinated).

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 12:14 PM, Buckeyefrank100 said:

I sincerely hope you and your DH do not have a reaction to the 2nd round of vaccine.  I received my first dose and had very mild reaction to it; however, the larger reactions are occurring from the second shot.  Just from my circle of acquaintaces I know several people who's arms swelled up twice it's normal size a week after the shot, another developed bumps on her face from the vaccine and a friends nephew was just found brain dead this morning after receiving the vaccine.  Could he have died from the vaccine?  Sure.  Could he have died from something else?  Sure.  We don't know yet.  What I do know is that the rate of severe reactions resulting from the vaccine are more than the chance of death from the vaccine.  I, for one, will not be taking the next dose and if that means no more cruising, then so be it.  I've said this a lot lately, be careful what you wish for.

Pfiser or Moderno?

Edited by beerman2

11 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

That's a good question... I do not know.  The one available to me that I took the 1st round was Pfizer.

92 y/o FIL got his today, just curious when he goes for 2nd.

pfizer was his also

17 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

92 y/o FIL got his today, just curious when he goes for 2nd.

pfizer was his also

I'll be curious to see how he reacts to it.  Our residents here at the nursing home I work at tolerated it pretty well.  Most of the reactions I've heard of are from relatively young people.  Personally my arm was quite sore for a couple days... much more sore than a flu shot but nothing else.

3 hours ago, bitemyfly said:

21 days after the first dose

That may be when he's eligible, but it's not a given that it will happen in 3 weeks.

They will text my wife when it's available again and then she can schedule the appointment.

On 1/11/2021 at 10:06 AM, evandbob said:

I hope this was a typo in that article:  That means passengers will place their orders with staff members in the casual Windjammer Buffet, and foot will be served to them.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

I hope this was a typo in that article:  That means passengers will place their orders with staff members in the casual Windjammer Buffet, and foot will be served to them.

I'll have my toes medium-rare, please! LOL - great typo.  Actually, food being served might help with portion control.  I have seen heaping plates of food taken, and a lot of wasted food left on plates in the buffet.

Edited by pe4all

47 minutes ago, pe4all said:

I'll have my toes medium-rare, please! LOL - great typo.  Actually, food being served might help with portion control.  I have seen heaping plates of food taken, and a lot of wasted food left on plates in the buffet.

Yes, that was a great typo.

As for wasted food, that would usually be true, but not always. We were on a HAL cruise that served food at the buffet, and my DW was always given way more than she would have taken herself. OTOH, I realize she is not your typical cruiser; in fact she almost always loses weight on a cruise.

11 hours ago, beerman2 said:

That may be when he's eligible, but it's not a given that it will happen in 3 weeks.

They will text my wife when it's available again and then she can schedule the appointment.

Apologies, here in Florida when you make your first appointment you are given the date for the second dose . They also give you a card with the second dose date, time and location .

However I understand that many people were not showing up for second shot, and it was traced back to out of state visitors  coming getting it.. looks like they are shutting that down today