CDC to require Covid test for international flight arrivals

9 hours ago, emm126 said:

i believe so far, it is only for Air Travel. Nothing on cruises that depart from and return to the US. Yet. 

I get that. We have a Baltic cruise in August. We return back to the States the following day after cruise ends. It seems we need a negative test mid cruise to return home. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I get that. We have a Baltic cruise in August. We return back to the States the following day after cruise ends. It seems we need a negative test mid cruise to return home. 

The CDC says you can get a rapid antigen test. The big gray area is what kind of test the airlines will accept (like one of those at home tests). QUite  a burden placed on the airlines.

Just now, smokeybandit said:

The CDC says you can get a rapid antigen test. The big gray area is what kind of test the airlines will accept (like one of those at home tests). QUite  a burden placed on the airlines.

We can’t afford to get stranded in a foreign country waiting for a test to return home. 

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I wonder if once fully vaccinated you're exempt

Believe it or not, NO! 🙃

"What if I have had a COVID-19 vaccine?  Do I still need a negative COVID-19 test or documentation of recovery from COVID-19"?

Yes, all air passengers traveling to the US, regardless of vaccination status, are required to present a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery.

• Thanks 1

A lot of All-Inclusive resorts in Mexico and the DR are now offering free covid testing for your return and if you test positive they will let you stay for 14 days at the resort, free of charge.    They just got back going an now this will halt a lot of people from traveling

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, whitshel said:

A lot of All-Inclusive resorts in Mexico and the DR are now offering free covid testing for your return and if you test positive they will let you stay for 14 days at the resort, free of charge.    They just got back going an now this will halt a lot of people from traveling

A pretty damn smart idea.

1 hour ago, whitshel said:

Sandals is as well, the free test part. I have not read reports of what they are doing if you test positive.

Edited by A&L_Ont

1 hour ago, whitshel said:

this is true.  Some AIs are free.  Ours in February/March will give us the test for free then if positive, we will quarantine there for $10 a day.  By then, it will be 4 weeks for me post 2nd moderna vaccine so I will take the roll of the dice.  Husband is testing pre trip with a script from his dr.  We were going to cancel trip but decided to just go.  It is true you do have to test with vaccine as you are still susceptible up to a point to contract covid.  However my feeling is with 2 doses, mask, and social distancing I should be ok.  We were in the Bahamas last month and had to get tested pre trip which was a PIA but we were fine. Had to quarantine and get retested when I returned for work.  It's annoying but I honestly can say I felt better doing it because I helped their economy in a small way spending money and I didn't bring covid in.

Edited by jean87510

8 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

this is true.  Some AIs are free.  Ours in February/March will give us the test for free then if positive, we will quarantine there for $10 a day.  By then, it will be 4 weeks for me post 2nd moderna vaccine so I will take the roll of the dice.  Husband is testing pre trip with a script from his dr.  We were going to cancel trip but decided to just go.  

Lol maybe next time fly to a usa beach? I know you were trying to use up airline credits. 

If I dont cruise that's what I will do. Spend beach time here. Agree with you I'll still need a vacation. Glad you are going. That extra test just will make it harder. 

16 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol maybe next time fly to a usa beach? I know you were trying to use up airline credits. 

If I dont cruise that's what I will do. Spend beach time here. Agree with you I'll still need a vacation. Glad you are going. That extra test just will make it harder. 

Lol, look at pictures of crowded USA beaches as opposed to Cozumel or Spanish Wells.  No thanks.  

On 1/15/2021 at 4:15 PM, SeaHunt said:

Believe it or not, NO! 🙃

"What if I have had a COVID-19 vaccine?  Do I still need a negative COVID-19 test or documentation of recovery from COVID-19"?

Yes, all air passengers traveling to the US, regardless of vaccination status, are required to present a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery.

My understanding is that you can still get covid if vaccinated, just symptoms are much less severe for some.

So you could still spread to someone else.  Guess that's why the US and Lots of other countries are saying negative test before entry.  

Plenty of other countries have had this requirement in place for many months.  

4 hours ago, whitshel said:

I dont see it halting those that really want to travel to another country.   A lot of other countries have testing set up at their airports.   

I Know JFK and Phl airports have testing, I am sure others do too.  

Aruba set up testing at their airport for everyone coming in that may not have had a chance to test preflight.

Imo, The US should have done it a lot sooner than this month.

40 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

If a 95% effective vaccine doesn't actually protect people from covid, then it's all for naught.

I mean we have a 40-50% effective flu vaccine and everything thinks its awesome

It will be interesting to see if the vaccine protects the most vulnerable or it is mainly reduces the symptoms of the less vulnerable. that is what the flu vaccine does.