Airline prices

tyler6597

I just made our plane and seating reservations for a cruise were taking on the Azamara Journey and it's a 13 night Italy Intensive cruise from may 7, 2021 to May 20, 2021. We paid approx. $1800 for my wife and myself. I thought the price was reasonable to fly from Dulles Airport near Washington DC to Toronto then to Venice, Italy. The return is on British Airways and we go to London and then back to Dulles Airport. When I made our seat selections for all 4 flights I was astounded to see that all the seats on all four airplane legs not only cost extra but the cheapest seats on the Air Canada flight from Dulles to Toronto was $11.00 per seat and the price rose to $54.00 the further the seats got to the bulkhead which separates the Business and 1st class seats. The flight from Toronto to Venice, Italy seats were $118.80 per seat for a grand total of $259.60. On the return flights the seat total for the two of us is $286.90 for a grand total over and above the flight cost of $1800 is $546.50. The last time we flew there were some seat right behind the bulkhead and 10 rows behind that were extra money and then the rest of the rows the seat were economy and they didn't cost anyone than the cost of the plane fare. 

Is this the way the airlines are making up for their losses due to the Pandemic and they know that if we want to travel again overseas were going to pay big time. I miss the old days. I just wanted you traveler's out there that when we can travel again don't be shocked when you see how much extra it will cost to get a seat. 

Gary Tyler

Hi Gary.  I suspect all industries impacted by the pandemic will be looking to rebalance their finances when the time is right.

I fear however that your cruise is unlikely to go ahead with the pandemic here in Europe and the UK showing no signs of abating.

Regards

We travel United as often as we can because DH is gold for life because of all the flying he used to do.  They have given us Premium economy for free when we book the cheapest seat, but I have no idea if they can afford to do this now.  I also don't know if you can get this perk when booking through Cruise air.  I haven't tried to book our air travel for Aug as I'm just not sure the cruise will go.  Heard this AM that Air Canada has laid off another 1700 people.  When will this awful disease be dealt with?  Vaccines are rolling out so slowly here in Canada and when I hear prisoners are going to the head of the line, even before the guards, it makes my head spin.

3 hours ago, tyler6597 said:

I just made our plane and seating reservations for a cruise were taking on the Azamara Journey and it's a 13 night Italy Intensive cruise from may 7, 2021 to May 20, 2021....

I hope the flights are refundable and/or you have the best insurance travel available.

4 hours ago, tyler6597 said:

I just made our plane and seating reservations for a cruise were taking on the Azamara Journey and it's a 13 night Italy Intensive cruise from may 7, 2021 to May 20, 2021. We paid approx. $1800 for my wife and myself. I thought the price was reasonable to fly from Dulles Airport near Washington DC to Toronto then to Venice, Italy. The return is on British Airways and we go to London and then back to Dulles Airport. When I made our seat selections for all 4 flights I was astounded to see that all the seats on all four airplane legs not only cost extra but the cheapest seats on the Air Canada flight from Dulles to Toronto was $11.00 per seat and the price rose to $54.00 the further the seats got to the bulkhead which separates the Business and 1st class seats. The flight from Toronto to Venice, Italy seats were $118.80 per seat for a grand total of $259.60. On the return flights the seat total for the two of us is $286.90 for a grand total over and above the flight cost of $1800 is $546.50. The last time we flew there were some seat right behind the bulkhead and 10 rows behind that were extra money and then the rest of the rows the seat were economy and they didn't cost anyone than the cost of the plane fare. 

Is this the way the airlines are making up for their losses due to the Pandemic and they know that if we want to travel again overseas were going to pay big time. I miss the old days. I just wanted you traveler's out there that when we can travel again don't be shocked when you see how much extra it will cost to get a seat. 

Gary Tyler

For the last 7-8 ( or more ) years ,foreign  airlines have been charging for seat assignments if you want them more than 24 hours before departure.  They actually do assign them at booking, but you can't see them until 24 hours ( 23 for Lufthansa) before the flight at which time you can change them if seats are available.  Those airlines, along with some US airlines, charge for seat assignments no matter what. Nothing to do with the Pandemic .  You might also want to check and see if that Air Canada flight is actually Air Canada Rouge which is their low cost carrier which has other restrictions. 

6 hours ago, tyler6597 said:

Gary Tyler

It really depends on what airline you are flying and the "class" of ticket.  I have been exploring flights to Rome for late in the year and noticed that the British Airlines tickets won't let me select seats in advance.  I've moved on to other airlines because where I sit really matters to me; and, I don't want any surprises of high rates to select the seats later.

We have found that British Airways charge for selecting seats are very high compared to others.  Also we frequently use AA miles and the fees BA charges are ridiculous.  We booked a one way from Madrid to Dallas using AA miles and the fees were $320 pp.  when a AA flight came available we switched and the fees we $11.40pp.  

8 hours ago, hamrag said:

I hope the flights are refundable and/or you have the best insurance travel available.

Seat charges may not be refundable unless the airline cancels the flight. We just booked our Emirate flights to Dubai for our November cruise. We decided to pay extra to book extra leg room seats (£70 each) for our economy flight. It’s very clear in the T’s& C that this cost is not refundable unless the airline cancels the flight. We decided it was a risk we were prepared to take as it’s quite a long flight (7 hours) and they have a very few sets of leg-room seats where there are only 2 in the row.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tyler6597 said:

Gary Tyler

Unfortunately paying to choose your seat has been the way of it for many years on BA and the only way to avoid this is either waiting until 24 hours before your flight and taking pot luck or having status within the airline programme to be able to choose it 7 days beforehand (Bronze or equivalent) or free (Silver and Gold or equivalent). 

What class are you flying?  The proportional cost to the fare seems very high. 

Phil 

16 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Seat charges may not be refundable unless the airline cancels the flight. We just booked our Emirate flights to Dubai for our November cruise. We decided to pay extra to book extra leg room seats (£70 each) for our economy flight. It’s very clear in the T’s& C that this cost is not refundable unless the airline cancels the flight. We decided it was a risk we were prepared to take as it’s quite a long flight (7 hours) and they have a very few sets of leg-room seats where there are only 2 in the row.

We actually had our seat costs refunded by Emirates last year when our cruise couldn't dock in Dubai and we had to disembark early.  Of course, this was in the beginning of the Covid craziness.

• Like 1