Daily sunrise photo

rafinmd

Today is International snow day and it's forecast here this afternoon.  It seems appropriate that today's sunrise is from the 2016 Queen Victoria transatlantic that saved me from flying from Baltimore to a bucket list cruise on the day of one of our worst snowstorms in history.  January 16, 2016 was a sea day between Puerto Delgado and Port Canaveral:

dawn0116.jpg

Roy

• Like 3

I have a sunset rather than a sunrise today.  It's from the start of my last long trip, my 2020 attempt to circle the globe without flying.  My schedule did not really permit doing it all by cruise ship so I started with the train across America.  On January 17, 2020 I was on Amtrak's Southwest Chief in New Mexico:

dusk0117.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

Today's sunset is another from my 2016 Queen Victoria transatlantic that saved me from flying out of Baltimore in the middle of snowmageddon.  January 18 was a snow day more or less midway between Puerto Delgado and Port Canaveral.

dusk1118.jpg

I was amused this morning to see Queen Victoria on the Port Everglades schedule for January 21.  I think that if she left Barbados immediately it would be difficult to be in Florida by that time.  I suspect the booking is a holdover from a long ago cancelled voyage.

Roy

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I was amused this morning to see Queen Victoria on the Port Everglades schedule for January 21.  I think that if she left Barbados immediately it would be difficult to be in Florida by that time.  I suspect the booking is a holdover from a long ago cancelled voyage.

Yes indeed, QV was supposed to be in Fort Lauderdale on January 21 as one of the early calls on her canceled 2022 World Voyage that was to have departed Southampton on January 10. Then it was supposed to be on to Oranjestad and through the Panama Canal for an extensive Pacific itinerary before heading around the southern tip of Africa and back to Southampton on April 29.

• Thanks 1

In hard times I like to look for signs of normality.  One thing that can't get much normal is that whether it's spectacular or hidden and one sees it or not the sun will always rise.  Considering the sad situation with Crystal Cruises I am going back to something special.  When the Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage was announced I got the incredible dream of a complete circumnavigation of the Americas and I was able to do it in a span of about 4 years, while the segments ran in different directions and a random order.  This was my circumnavigation:

Fort Lauderdale to Rio, MS Maasdam, January 2015

Rio and Buenos Aires, Crystal Serenity, 2017

Buenos Aires and Manta (via Antarctica), Crystal Symphony, 2016

Manta and San Diego, MS Zaandam, 2017

San Diego and Vancouver, MS Oosterdam, 2017

Vancouver and Seward, MS Westerdam, 2018

Seward and New York, Crystal Serenity, 2016

New York and Southampton (another detour), 2016

Southampton and Fort Lauderdale, Queen Victoria, 2016

In this sequence I am using one of the first sunrises from the Maasdam.  January 25, 2015 was a sea day between Key West and a planned stop at Grand Cayman:

dawn125a.jpg

Roy

• Like 3

I'll add this webcam image of today's sunrise at the port of Bridgetown, Barbados. This is a capture from the "Shallow Draught" webcam found on the website for IWCP (Islandwide Camera Protection) at "www.iwcpinc.com". IWCP has graciously granted permission to post images from their webcams on this forum.

This image shows QM2 at the right and QV toward the center. If you look closely, you may also find Marella Discovery in the distance, just peeking over the roof and between the two light poles immediately to the left of QV.

758144659_BarbadosSunrise2022-01-26QM2QV.thumb.jpg.0c88fc2ce7997a40aa26a814c53e262d.jpg

• Like 2

I have a sunset today instead of a sunrise and am shocked to even have that.  It's from my 2016 Antarctic cruise on Crystal Symphony and on February 3 we were pretty much in the middle of the Antarctic experience.

dusk0203.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

Today's sunrise (actually yesterday but it did not post then) is from my 2018 Crystal World Cruise.  On February 5 the Crystal Serenity visited Bora Bora:

dawn0205.jpg

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 3