Would you sail using only non-US ports if it meant you could get back on board??

oteixeira

So The Shiplife youtube channel brought up some interesting news I did not know about today.  Looks like starting in December, RCL is going to have Caribbean cruises that start in Barbados and end there as well.  Now, we all know we can fly and the CDC can't stop us....SO....if the CDC does not let sailing come back by December, would you do a cruise like this??  I am for sure thinking about it, and wonder if this is our way of finally getting back to cruising (basically just cut the US out of the equation all together).

Sad for places like Miami that make a fortune on the cruise business if this is what it comes down to.

Here is the cruise I am speaking of....  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/?dates_maxDate=12%2F31%2F2021&dates_minDate=12%2F01%2F2021&departureCode_BGI=true&itineraryPanel=GR07BGI-848167646

I think the Caribbean could quickly get some buildings set up and we could be homeporting in quite a few places if the CDC decides that cruising is just too risky.

Edited by oteixeira

9 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

So The Shiplife youtube channel brought up some interesting news I did not know about today.  Looks like starting in December, RCL is going to have carribean cruises that start in Barbados and end there as well.  Now, we all know we can fly and the CDC can't stop us....SO....if the CDC does not let sailing come back by December, would you do a cruise like this??  I am for sure thinking about it, and wonder if this is our way of finally getting back to cruising (basically just cut the US out of the equation all together).

Sad for places like Miami that make a fortune on the cruise business if this is what it comes down to.

Here is the cruise I am speaking of....  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/?dates_maxDate=12%2F31%2F2021&dates_minDate=12%2F01%2F2021&departureCode_BGI=true&itineraryPanel=GR07BGI-848167646

I think the Caribbean could quickly get some buildings set up and we could be homeporting in quite a few places if the CDC decides that cruising is just too risky.

CDC could slap a mandatory quarantine before entering the US if you have been on a cruise ship. Perhaps 3 days or so.

If they don't want you cruising it will not happen for  the great majority of US citizens. You could do it, it would require a lot jumping thru hoops though.

• Like 1

Just now, HaveWeMetYet said:

CDC could slap a mandatory quarantine before entering the US if you have been on a cruise ship. Perhaps 3 days or so.

If they don't want you cruising it will not happen for  the great majority of US citizens. You could do it, it would require a lot jumping thru hoops though.

I would do the quarantine, shoot, I would do it sailing out of Miami.  They point is we cant even do that.  They just say outright no.  

to add onto the HaveWeMetYet if you are flying into a different country, that country can add additional quarantine period before you can able to do anything in that country. Depending on the country, you are only allowed to travel between the airport and hotel and then have to quarantine for 14 days in the hotel before you can do tourist things. similar to the the current quarantine restrictions that some of the crew members had

2 minutes ago, shof515 said:

to add onto the HaveWeMetYet if you are flying into a different country, that country can add additional quarantine period before you can able to do anything in that country. Depending on the country, you are only allowed to travel between the airport and hotel and then have to quarantine for 14 days in the hotel before you can do tourist things. similar to the the current quarantine restrictions that some of the crew members had

That is fair, as an example, even right now, in the hight of the new spike, Barbados requires a negative test to go.  No quarantine.  But you do have to take a second PCR test when you are there if you come from a high risk country (and we are probably the highest I would think).  

Again, all of this is very fluid, and I would think most of us would have vaccinated by December of this year, but this is more a "What if" of the CDC just being far to demanding of what the cruise lines need to accomplish to get the special permission to sail.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shof515 said:

This is what I am more afraid of. I have a 16 day Rome to NYC TA booked on the Escape for November and if I have to quarantine for days in either spot, it will be a no go for me.

Of course everything could be different by then, but if you'll be flying back on an international flight to the US I'm wondering how the cruise lines will deal with the required testing 3 days before disembarkation (will they able to do all testing onboard?)?

(You have to have this test even if vaccinated, see below)

"Beginning Jan. 26, the CDC will require all people who plan to enter the U.S. on a commercial flight to show proof of a negative Covid-19 test prior to boarding.

"Air passengers will be required to get tested within three days of their flight to the U.S. or otherwise provide documentation of having recovered from Covid-19. Airlines will be required to deny boarding to any person who does not provide the required documentation.

The CDC will accept results of molecular PCR tests as well as the less reliable rapid antigen tests, spokesman Jason McDonald said.

The agency will also recommend that travelers get tested for the virus three to five days after entering the U.S. from abroad and that they stay home for seven days after entry.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Airline-News/CDC-to-require-Covid-test-for-U-S-entry

What if I have had a COVID-19 vaccine?  Do I still need a negative COVID-19 test or documentation of recovery from COVID-19?

Yes, all air passengers traveling to the US, regardless of vaccination status, are required to present a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

I know that all cruise lines that operated in Europe during covid (TUI, AIDA, MSC) offered a free PCR-test on board of their ships if necessary.(e.g. if it was mandatory for the guest before re-entering the own country) SO the testing capacities should be managable.

Also, i think that some countries may make exceptions for curise passengers if they are only going from the airport to the cruise ship. If the cruise line confirms that every passenger will use the shuttles offered by the cruise lines then this should work.If guests have no contact to the local residents this could work. Question is how the ports of call are handling it. Are individual excoursions allowed?Or do you have to take one offered by RCL?  In general there should be nothing which can`t be solved.

8 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

"Air passengers will be required to get tested within three days of their flight to the U.S. or otherwise provide documentation of having recovered from Covid-19. Airlines will be required to deny boarding to any person who does not provide the required documentation.

The CDC will accept results of molecular PCR tests as well as the less reliable rapid antigen tests, spokesman Jason McDonald said.

Answer is right there.  I expect as time moves forward that airports will have kiosks where you can get a rapid test while waiting for your flight.

48 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

Answer is right there.  I expect as time moves forward that airports will have kiosks where you can get a rapid test while waiting for your flight.

yes, but if you test positive, whether falsely or correctly, you are now stuck. Can’t go home. Assume they have some hotel lined up where they would ship you to snd lock you in a room for a week and a half. At your expense of course. Testing before you go and worst case scenario is having to cancel is a different ball game than having to test before you return and getting stranded. One country I saw (Cambodia) was actually trying to charge a $3,000 cash deposit when you entered to test you and cover your quarantine/health care expenses if you tested positive). I decided early on when all this testing started that I would not take a trip that required a Covid test mid trip.

People are going to have to go to work after returning from a cruise and won't be able to be away another week,

Sometimes I think what if I had been on a February cruise and stuck at sea? That would not have bode well for me personally of professionally.

I've gone spans of 3 1/2 or even 14 years between cruises before- If I have to do it again so be it- not happy about it but I'd rather wait and enjoy it. I've marked down 3 weeks on my 2024 calendar that are good for me.

Missing concerts and baseball- those I couldn't stand missing for 3 years either but might come back sooner for me.

I am wondering what the experience will be like - how can they turn over a ship as quickly in the future? I am wondering if some cruises would be Sunday to Saturday with the Saturday-Sunday held for cleaning. 

1 hour ago, HowardK said:

People are going to have to go to work after returning from a cruise and won't be able to be away another week,

Sometimes I think what if I had been on a February cruise and stuck at sea? That would not have bode well for me personally of professionally.

I've gone spans of 3 1/2 or even 14 years between cruises before- If I have to do it again so be it- not happy about it but I'd rather wait and enjoy it. I've marked down 3 weeks on my 2024 calendar that are good for me.

Missing concerts and baseball- those I couldn't stand missing for 3 years either but might come back sooner for me.

I am wondering what the experience will be like - how can they turn over a ship as quickly in the future? I am wondering if some cruises would be Sunday to Saturday with the Saturday-Sunday held for cleaning. 

Some of us don't work.  Others of us (this is where I fall) only need good internet to work, which most countries I visit would have in a hotel room.  Unless I actually was sick to the point of needing medical care, I would be OK.  I think there are more people in my situation then people realize.  A lot of companies have realized that working from an office is something that is not at all necessary and an area where they can save huge chunks of money (leasing).  

Also, to some other questions.  I posted this in a facebook group I am in run by 4 travel agents.  One of them said that most of these countries are willing to cover test and hotel costs if you have to stay behind because they need the business that tourism brings.  I was kind of shocked to hear it, but she said about 90% of the countries in that area right now would cover your bills (and she has it in writing) as long as it was not hospital related.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oteixeira said:

Some of us don't work.  Others of us (this is where I fall) only need good internet to work, which most countries I visit would have in a hotel room.  Unless I actually was sick to the point of needing medical care, I would be OK.  I think there are more people in my situation then people realize.  A lot of companies have realized that working from an office is something that is not at all necessary and an area where they can save huge chunks of money (leasing).  

Also, to some other questions.  I posted this in a facebook group I am in run by 4 travel agents.  One of them said that most of these countries are willing to cover test and hotel costs if you have to stay behind because they need the business that tourism brings.  I was kind of shocked to hear it, but she said about 90% of the countries in that area right now would cover your bills (and she has it in writing) as long as it was not hospital related.

This is me as well.  My employer now allows us to work from anywhere with reliable internet and a quiet work environment.  The only catch currently with ours is the fact that we all have to be in the office on Tuesdays.  BUT, if I wanted, I could fly to the Caribbean on Tuesday evening, work from there until Monday, fly home, and still be within their rules.  Heck, I could even take off a few Tuesdays as vacation days and stay there for a month.  And this new policy is NOT due to Covid.  It is to stay competitive with what all the other Tech companies are now offering as a perk:  Work from home permanently, where ever you live.

What a hassle cruising is going to become.

You will need a covid test to get on the ship.

You will very likely need another covid test to visit ports on the 3rd or 4th day as most countries seem like they are going to require one to enter and the covid test needs to be within 72 hours.

You will need another covid test to fly home from international destinations within 72 hours.

Think of how many false positives there are with these tests. Your cruise could end early because of several false positives, then you can't fly home because you test positive and now have to go through the hassle of getting new tests and miss your flight.

Looks like even a vaccine card is still going to require all this testing anyway.

I will not be cruising or going international for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, HowardK said:

People are going to have to go to work after returning from a cruise and won't be able to be away another week

Oh the joys of being retired, just like a goodly portion of the cruise clientele.  We'll sail and come home to relax the following week - no problem!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

Oh the joys of being retired, just like a goodly portion of the cruise clientele.  We'll sail and come home to relax the following week - no problem!

Concur. We need to come home to relax after a cruise of hard drinking;

Anchorman Ron Burgandy GIF - Anchorman RonBurgandy Scotch - Discover &  Share GIFs

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 8:58 PM, oteixeira said:

True, but for those of you work at home folks; there are many more of us that still go to work everyday than you realize. Just about every essential business (groceries, restaurants, gas stations, stores, etc require you to physically return to work); Also health care, government, public services, etc. I've worked throughout this pandemic with no work from home possibilities. And yes, a 1 or 2 week quarantine at the end of my vacation would make it a no go for me.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, sanger727 said:

True, but for those of you work at home folks; there are many more of us that still go to work everyday than you realize. Just about every essential business (groceries, restaurants, gas stations, stores, etc require you to physically return to work); Also health care, government, public services, etc. I've worked throughout this pandemic with no work from home possibilities. And yes, a 1 or 2 week quarantine at the end of my vacation would make it a no go for me.

Sanger- well said and stated.