Ovation to Hawaii

I've been trying to search for posts about this but my computer won't let me search for some reason,   so I'm going to ask.   I'm looking into going on the Vancouver to Hawaii cruise on Ovation of the Seas for a late September early October cruise (9 days).   Has anyone been and enjoyed it?  Should I be afraid of the weather at that time of year?

Which year? 2022? Maybe

Weather  not sure what you mean but the high big waves that come to hawaii are generally from Thanksgiving to the next easter, during the winter. That's when most all surfing contests held. Hawaii is a little cooler in winter but very nice, but waves are generally bigger. I lived there 10 years. I dont think most people know surfing contests are during the winter.

Yes,  its' 2022.   September 30th to be exact.   I'm coming from a place in Canada where it's currently almost minus 20'C   so I'm sure it will be fantastic weather in Hawaii.  I haven't been seasick yet although I've only been on one cruise, and never on the Pacific.  What do you think it will be like on the ship with the waves & windy etc?

Temperature rarely goes below 60 unless you are at a higher elevation. I know this because supposedly oranges stay green and dont turn orange colored unless temps drop below 60 and they say but these oranges are ripe, just not orange.

Idk about the crossing, though I've done it on celebrity but dont remember the month. I just know swimming in the ocean may be more precarious. 

We were at the observation station on the rim of Haleakala on October 24, 2001, and I can assure you it was freezing cold that night! 😉. O, you mentioned elevation, yes, there was a lot of it.  We coasted on bicycles the next morning 32 miles and I only pedaled the last few hundred feet.  

The Orionid meteor shower was worth the loss of sleep, and slipping on the last four steps of the Radiance of the Seas platform to get on a tender to go to Lahaina.

jc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Temperature rarely goes below 60 unless you are at a higher elevation. I know this because supposedly oranges stay green and dont turn orange colored unless temps drop below 60 and they say but these oranges are ripe, just not orange.

Idk about the crossing, though I've done it on celebrity but dont remember the month. I just know swimming in the ocean may be more precarious. 

It was cool swimming at Kona in late October 2001.  But not bad.

3 hours ago, cantgetaname said:

I've been trying to search for posts about this but my computer won't let me search for some reason

Searches within CC limits results to about a year+, so you may need to search in Google or other search engine to get older results. There are Ovations TP revues in CC.

3 hours ago, cantgetaname said:

Yes,  its' 2022.   September 30th to be exact.   I'm coming from a place in Canada where it's currently almost minus 20'C   so I'm sure it will be fantastic weather in Hawaii.  I haven't been seasick yet although I've only been on one cruise, and never on the Pacific.  What do you think it will be like on the ship with the waves & windy etc?

Since you are from Canada, I would book the Hawaii to Vancouver sailing in the spring instead. It is always nice to get the long flight out of the way before the cruise and you could spend a few days exploring before boarding. But that is just my opinion. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

Are you asking about the weather and waves during the cruise itself or in Hawaii after the cruise?  We did this cruise on the Ovation in Sept. '19 (Van -> Honolulu) then stayed over in Honolulu for a week before flying home to Vancouver.

As far as the cruise itself, there was a tiny little bit of waves and motion the first day out of Seattle (not enough to get us seasick) then got better and warmer each day as we got nearer Hawaii.  Weather in Hawaii was the usual 10 minute downpour followed by sunshine each day with temperatures in the low 80s.

My son and I are booked 09/17/21 on the Ovation - Vancouver to HI.  Just read on the roll call that it's not showing up for new bookings.  I haven't heard from Royal Caribbean but will call them in the morning.  We were booked on the same cruise in 2020 - cancelled.  We chose this trip because it  ends in HI and we planned to visit my grandson who lives in Kona and friends who live on Oahu.

My late husband and I cruised to HI 4 times in the past - we always went in the Spring on a RT from CA.  It was always very cool the first few days with very rough seas on the way out and back to CA.  I suggest that you have a light weight jacket or sweater and at least 2 pairs of long pants - especially for traveling from Vancouver in September or October.  

17 hours ago, cantgetaname said:

I am currently booked for this cruise in 2021 but want to move to 2022. How do you find dates for 2022 cruise since the 2022 transpacific cruises are not listed anywhere. 

12 hours ago, twangster said:

You can read about my 2019 Ovation to Hawaii cruise here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2700449-ovation-vancouver-to-hawaii-sept-20-2019-recap/

Watche your review, oh my amazing! I am booked for Vancouver to Sydney in 2021 but really doubt it will happen. As soon as 2022 dates are available I will re book. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You will have to wait till RCI posts them - follow the 2022-23 deployment thread.

Thanks for the info. I looked at RCI site and you can actually book this now. Now I just need to find out where it sails after this cruise as I was hoping to do back to back sailing on to Sydney but can’t find this info anywhere. 

2 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Wish they would post the Spring/2022 HNL-YVR sailing. Maybe it will be soon.

2 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Not sure this is what you're looking for but found below

image.thumb.png.ec036bca7caecd87f9dd9f7a38459f5c.png

Yes I found this but I wanted to know where it goes after this. Will it continue on to Sydney or not. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, nich3cats said:

Yes I found this but I wanted to know where it goes after this. Will it continue on to Sydney or not. 

Those itineraries May no5 be released fir a while.  Book a refundable cabin on the first leg if you are thinking about it to lock in the price before it goes up. 

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Those itineraries May no5 be released fir a while.  Book a refundable cabin on the first leg if you are thinking about it to lock in the price before it goes up. 

Good advice will call my TA Monday and book. 

• Like 1