A bit of fun - who is up now for double masking on ships!

bmwman

7 minutes ago, bmwman said:

As seems to be the case the CDC are going to announce double masking in the USA.

You can not expel air or breathe but thats another subject. How uncomfortable on a ship in the heat in my opinion.

Double masking refers to two layers of material in a single mask, not two different masks.

• Like 2

At this point does it really matter? 
how can cruise leave when they know people will not be keeping the rules and on a ship everyone is literally on top of each other. I know they are doing it in Europe - but it won’t happen here. Even if we double, triple or quadruple mask. 

1 hour ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Double masking refers to two layers of material in a single mask, not two different masks.

No, it means wearing one mask over another. For those wearing paper surgical masks that don't provide a seal around your face, the recommendation is to place a 2-3 layer cloth mask over it to seal and provide additional layers of protection. 

image.png.80183f375cb8bf124ff6fd960759f944.png

2 hours ago, bmwman said:

How uncomfortable on a ship in the heat in my opinion.

It is actually not bad at all. We have vacationed 6 times to hot and tropical locations including 10+ hours of air travel. We use N95 masks exclusively (5 layer masks sealing around the face with around-the-head elastic). They are actually fine in all weather conditions. And are actually better than ear loops on long flights. 

8 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

And the ‘stay scared’ montra continues. 

"Never let a good crisis go to waste". Covid 19 = a great way to control us and make us compliant. "Now shut up and put on your second mask".

Btw, good luck Sunday. May the GOAT out duel Mahomes. Are you one of the, what is it, 25% that got a ticket and gets to attend?

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

"Never let a good crisis go to waste". Covid 19 = a great way to control us and make us compliant. "Now shut up and put on your second mask".

Btw, good luck Sunday. May the GOAT out duel Mahomes. Are you one of the, what is it, 25% that got a ticket and gets to attend?

Appreciate ya.  No, I'm not one of the lucky 25%.  BIL is though, so I'm hoping his wife can't attend lol.

Sounds like we worked in the same profession, or at least used the same sayings....that happens to be one of my favorite.

Stay scared...coming out w/ body suits next.

• Like 1

People are not telling the full story.  A single mask protects others, not yourself (unless its a N95 mask).  This virus spreads because the people who have no symptoms spread it because they think they are healthy.  The new study reveals not having a N95 mask handy, a cheap surgical mask along with a cloth mask protects ONES SELF 90% chance of not getting COVID particles.

This virus has really brought out the selfishness of humankind. If a simple surgical mask could protect ONES SELF from the virus, we would have 99% compliance because they are protecting themselves.  When its about the OTHER person.....screw them, I can do whatever I want and on any property I want.  Its taken Karen to a whole new level.

Bottom line, no one says wear 2 cloth masks.  However wearing a surgical mask with a cloth mask can really protect you almost as good as a N95 mask. Good grief anyone to inform the public of simple life saving techniques.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

People are not telling the full story.  A single mask protects others, not yourself (unless its a N95 mask).  This virus spreads because the people who have no symptoms spread it because they think they are healthy.  The new study reveals not having a N95 mask handy, a cheap surgical mask along with a cloth mask protects ONES SELF 90% chance of not getting COVID particles.

This virus has really brought out the selfishness of humankind. If a simple surgical mask could protect ONES SELF from the virus, we would have 99% compliance because they are protecting themselves.  When its about the OTHER person.....screw them, I can do whatever I want and on any property I want.  Its taken Karen to a whole new level.

Bottom line, no one says wear 2 cloth masks.  However wearing a surgical mask with a cloth mask can really protect you almost as good as a N95 mask. Good grief anyone to inform the public of simple life saving techniques.

Well explained 

Just don’t see this whole “multiple mask” thing as something that will catch on in the cruise industry.  It isn’t even being adopted in public, now.  With the vaccines rolling out, and having proof of being vaccinated before boarding to come as a requirement, double masking is a non-starter.

I suppose you can if you want.  Don’t see it as a requirement, though.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

Just don’t see this whole “multiple mask” thing as something that will catch on in the cruise industry.  It isn’t even being adopted in public, now.  With the vaccines rolling out, and having proof of being vaccinated before boarding to come as a requirement, double masking is a non-starter.

I suppose you can if you want.  Don’t see it as a requirement, though.

The vaccine is to stop you GETTING sick. The masks are to stop you SPREADING the virus. 

Simply. Vaccine protects YOU. Masks protect EVERYONE ELSE.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ScratchTheRat said:

The vaccine is to stop you GETTING sick. The masks are to stop you SPREADING the virus. 

Simply. Vaccine protects YOU. Masks protect EVERYONE ELSE.

With the first announcement yesterday at least one vaccine (probably all) also stops spread with AstraZeneca announcing a 67% drop in transmission of Covid.
https://www.sharecast.com/news/news-and-announcements/astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-82-effective-reduces-transmission-by-two-thirds--7800885.html

• Like 2

5 hours ago, david_sobe said:

If a simple surgical mask could protect ONES SELF from the virus, we would have 99% compliance because they are protecting themselves.  When its about the OTHER person.....screw them

Yes, haha, know your audience!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

No, it means wearing one mask over another. For those wearing paper surgical masks that don't provide a seal around your face, the recommendation is to place a 2-3 layer cloth mask over it to seal and provide additional layers of protection. 

5 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

I currently wear a triple layer cloth one. I own 7 so I change every day and wash them.

But, the jury is still out on the efficacy of cloth masks with a majority of studies finding " little to no evidence for the effectiveness of cloth face masks in the general population, neither as personal protective equipment nor as a source control."  Some examples include:

1. A Danish randomized controlled trial with 6000 participants, published in the Annals of Internal Medicine in November 2020, found no statistically significant effect of high-quality medical face masks against SARS-CoV-2 infection in a community setting. (Source)
  2. An April 2020 review by two US professors in respiratory and infectious disease from the University of Illinois concluded that face masks have no effect in everyday life, neither as self-protection nor to protect third parties (so-called source control). (Source)
  3. An article in the New England Journal of Medicine from May 2020 came to the conclusion that cloth face masks offer little to no protection in everyday life. (Source)
  4. An August 2020 review by a German professor in virology, epidemiology and hygiene found that there is no evidence for the effectiveness of cloth face masks and that the improper daily use of masks by the public may in fact lead to an increase in infections. (Source)

And the list of studies reaching similar conclusions on cloth masks is quite long.  I don't buy the 'mask police' pronouncements.  It might make you feel good, but the science is not convincing on their effectiveness.

Edited by HuliHuli
add text
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

With the first announcement yesterday at least one vaccine (probably all) also stops spread with AstraZeneca announcing a 67% drop in transmission of Covid.
https://www.sharecast.com/news/news-and-announcements/astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-82-effective-reduces-transmission-by-two-thirds--7800885.html

67% is far from 100%. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

67% is far from 100%. 

It is, but when you have a vaccine that's 82% effective and additionally stops transmission by 67%, that's the holly grail.

A vaccine actually reduces transmission by 67% as does a surgical mask.

You said vaccines are to stop you getting sick and masks are to stop transmission when in fact it's no longer that black and white, the vaccine also stops 67% of transmission (the same as a surgical mask), put a mask on a vaccinated person, now you have a winning combination.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

It is, but when you have a vaccine that's 82% effective and additionally stops transmission by 67%, that's the holly grail.

A vaccine actually reduces transmission by 67% as does a surgical mask.

You said vaccines are to stop you getting sick and masks are to stop transmission when in fact it's no longer that black and white, the vaccine also stops 67% of transmission (the same as a surgical mask), put a mask on a vaccinated person, now you have a winning combination.

My point was more that the vaccine and the masks serve different purposes, rather than one or the other being the choice.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

My point was more that the vaccine and the masks serve different purposes, rather than one or the other being the choice.

I'm just pointing out it's not so simple as of yesterdays announcement.

You have a cruise ship of non vaccinated mask wearers: max transmission = 33% but 100% are vulnerable.

You have a cruise ship of vaccinated non mask wearers: max transmission = 33% but 18% are vulnerable.

I know that's over simplified due to variables like some of the 100% could be immune from exposure but you get the point.

Edited by ziggyuk