Return to cruising poll

KirkNC

When will you return to cruising   

215 members have voted

1. 1. Eventually cruising will resume. Where will you be in the return queue

• We will go regardless of restrictions onboard and on shore
    • We will go but required ship excursions are a deal breaker
    • We will wait and see how things unfold and what the experience will be like
    • We will never cruise again

2 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We take the flu vaccine yearly  & that vaccine prevents getting ill & thus  also prevents spread . Since flu vaccines work that way why wouldn't covid vaccines work the same way ?

Because the facts aren't there yet.  What our opinion is, is not really all that useful.

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

This is what I took off a Covid-19 website:

It is very important that cloth masks are used correctly. Incorrect use might result in users putting themselves at risk of spreading Covid-19.

1. Only use a mask that has been washed and ironed.
  2. Wash your hands before putting the mask on and ensure that it covers both your nose and mouth properly.
  3. Make sure it fits well. Move it around to get the best fit. Never touch the cloth part.
  4. Once you have put on the mask, DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE again until you take it off.
  5. When you take it off, undo the ties, and carefully fold the mask inside out, hold it by the strings/elastic and place the mask in a container reserved for washing the cloth mask.
  6. Wash your hands thoroughly and dry before doing anything else.
  7. Wash cloth masks with warm soapy water and iron when dry.
  8. You must have at least two cloth masks per person so you will be able to wash one and have a clean one ready for use.

Common sense tells me that if I have the virus and am wearing a mask, the mask will have similar conditions to my mouth ie temperature and humidity; therefore, I assume that the mask will be a good breeding ground for the virus... Now if I touch my mask, mouth or nose, my hand would be contaminated and therefore anything I touch would also be contaminated.  Along comes the next person, touches the surface I've touched then touches his mouth, nose, face or mask and the virus is now in an environment it really enjoys and so the spread of the virus continues.  So if the above points are not adhered to, the virus will spread like crazy.  Where I live, I've watched our Premier, Minister of Health, Chief of Police, Director of Health all in turn, remove their masks, hold the podium, put their masks back on without cleaning their hands or the podium before the next speaker, furthermore seen footage of a nurse in full PPE gear at a COVID 19 testing facility put her hand under her face shield and play with her mask.  Every person I have seen wearing a mask has touched their face and mask and they probably don't even know they're doing it.  In Melbourne 3500 health care workers who were supposedly wearing PPE got the virus and infected 2500 age care residents. A mask would be good if it was used properly, but unfortunately 99% of the population don't know how to use it.

5 hours ago, theoldfossil said:

A mask would be good if it was used properly, but unfortunately 99% of the population don't know how to use it.

There are really 2 problems, knowing how to wear it, and secondly the logistics of being able to wear and handle it properly, especially for people working and wearing masks all day . I recall when we we started masks wearing thinking that I had it all down pact, but then reality set in and I realized how hard it is to follow all those rules (although I certainly try). I became less judgemental when I see people grabbing their mask with their hands and touching their face now anyway.

That being said -  even if a person wears a mask poorly and touches their face etc., they are still protecting me, which selfishly I admit I am more concerned with.

It should be fairly clear by now that 'wishing it so' does not make it so.  This is so true in this current cruising environment.   

IMHO we have a long way to go.  North Americans may not think so, but folks in other parts of the world certainly do.

1 hour ago, iancal said:

It should be fairly clear by now that 'wishing it so' does not make it so.  This is so true in this current cruising environment.   

IMHO we have a long way to go.  North Americans may not think so, but folks in other parts of the world certainly do.

Agree, we have had ebb and flow of optimistic projections.  When this thing started my best guess was June 2021 but that was clearly too optimistic.  Now it’s probably spring of 2022.

43 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Agree, we have had ebb and flow of optimistic projections.  When this thing started my best guess was June 2021 but that was clearly too optimistic.  Now it’s probably spring of 2022.

.......And, Hopefully, the cruise companies can survive that long!

Unfortunately by the time cruising begins again, our mobility conditions and age will make it improbable that we will ever cruise again.   Believe me, we do want to cruise again, BUT.

Our last cruise 24 day South Pacific crossing, where I experienced having to be taken off the ship (Noordam) in New Caldonia and hospitalized for 8 days is an experience we do not want to repeat.   Everything worked out well finally returning home and insurances covered most of the extra costs, but never again.  Hal were great in assisting us and taking care of my DW.

Edited by boards
added information
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, boards said:

Unfortunately by the time cruising begins again, our mobility conditions and age will make it improbable that we will ever cruise again. 

That is exactly my concern.  My mobility concerns as each year passes.  I have needed to use wheelchair assistance during embarkation/disembarkation  already because I can no longer walk the distances involved at the terminals nor stand in long lines for a significant period of time.

3 hours ago, Roz said:
  1. Only use a mask that has been washed and ironed.

I don't iron anything, even my clothes. 😛

Using HAL's laundry service and having my underwear and socks be returned having been pressed was a brand new experience for them.  

• Like 1

Just now, rkacruiser said:

My mobility concerns as each year passes.  I have needed to use wheelchair assistance during embarkation/disembarkation  already because I can no longer walk the distances involved at the terminals nor stand in long lines for a significant period of time.

I am sorry to hear that.  Perhaps you could find a helping hand on your roll call?

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I am sorry to hear that.  Perhaps you could find a helping hand on your roll call?

I really appreciate your thought.  Thanks.  Thus far, I have been able to utilize the services of the cruise lines' shore agent staff as well as the ships' staff during both embarking and disembarking.  

Last year, both the shore agents staffs for HAL and MSC provided me with more assistance than I expected.  Both helped to get me through C&I and took me directly to my car in the parking garages!  

I'll consider your suggestion of requesting aid from those on a Roll Call group.  But, not knowing these people other than "knowing" them online, requesting help would be a bit awkward for me.  

7 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I'll consider your suggestion of requesting aid from those on a Roll Call group.  But, not knowing these people other than "knowing" them online, requesting help would be a bit awkward for me.  

I’m not familiar with your roll call but I know on ours in the past we have been supportive of those with mobility challenges and offered to help and very supportive of a new widow whose husband told her to go even if he couldn’t be there.

I’ll leave it to you but a passing comment might be all that’s necessary and then you may, hopefully have offers to help.

CC members overall are very nice and very kind - at least that’s been my experience.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’m not familiar with your roll call but I know on ours in the past we have been supportive of those with mobility challenges and offered to help and very supportive of a new widow whose husband told her to go even if he couldn’t be there.

I’ll leave it to you but a passing comment might be all that’s necessary and then you may, hopefully have offers to help.

CC members overall are very nice and very kind - at least that’s been my experience.

Certainly do appreciate reading your post kazu!  Thank you!

I have no cruises planned at this time, so no Roll Call joined.  I will surely keep your thoughts in mind if and when I make another booking and join a Roll Call.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

My fear as well.  I don't see how they can. 😞  

I have no doubts that something will survive (or be reconstituted from the ashes like the Phoenix). Cruising as a travel option is just too popular (and profitable) for it to totally disappear. Now the question will be what lines survive and what they look like.

For now none of the lines have even entered or talked, at least publicly, about Bankruptcy proceedings and unless they go the liquidation route, they will still be around. 

• Like 1

I am just not sure about a cruise with severe restrictions.   One of my favorite trips was to the UK, where I had a Brit Rail Pass.  I went from London to Edinburgh, and took all sorts of side trips.   

I want to get back to Alaska, especially Glacier Bay,   but the idea of not being able to stroll around Skagway (little bit of tourist trap) just does not sound palatable.

I was also hoping to spend a few days up in Whistler. 

From the Canadian perspective,   the cruise issue was difficult,   people fly in from all over to Vancouver sometimes a week in advance.   People get off of the ship in Vancouver to fly home sometimes with extended stays.   How do you manage that?   

The borders are supposed to be mostly closed right now.    Canadian authorities said lets try to get this under control.  Lets quit the guessing game.   

5 hours ago, ScoutDiver said:

I am just not sure about a cruise with severe restrictions.   One of my favorite trips was to the UK, where I had a Brit Rail Pass.  I went from London to Edinburgh, and took all sorts of side trips.   

I want to get back to Alaska, especially Glacier Bay,   but the idea of not being able to stroll around Skagway (little bit of tourist trap) just does not sound palatable.

I was also hoping to spend a few days up in Whistler. 

From the Canadian perspective,   the cruise issue was difficult,   people fly in from all over to Vancouver sometimes a week in advance.   People get off of the ship in Vancouver to fly home sometimes with extended stays.   How do you manage that?   

The borders are supposed to be mostly closed right now.    Canadian authorities said lets try to get this under control.  Lets quit the guessing game.   

Once we are vaccinated we are planning to do a fly and drive trip in Alaska.  Including fly to Gustavus and spending a couple of days at the Glacier Bay Lodge with one of their 8 hour small boat tours of the Bay.  Then flying on to Anchorage and do some driving around the state, including visiting some relatives down at the port cities on the Kenai.

• Like 1