Return to cruising poll

KirkNC

When will you return to cruising   

215 members have voted

1. 1. Eventually cruising will resume. Where will you be in the return queue

• We will go regardless of restrictions onboard and on shore
    • We will go but required ship excursions are a deal breaker
    • We will wait and see how things unfold and what the experience will be like
    • We will never cruise again

I think the only way cruising will start again is by having restrictions and I welcome them - vaccination proof required (DH and I have ours), wearing face coverings, ship-sponsored excursions only, crew vaccinations required, no children under 16 on board unless vaccinations begin for them and they get them. These restrictions are for our health and for those on the ships. 

• Like 11

We are so ready.  Masks are no big thing anymore, wear it all the time. Maybe it will prevent my face from getting sunburnt! LOL.

There will be restrictions. That`s a given. What they will be remains to be seen.

But yes we will go!

• Like 8

Just now, kplady said:

Masks aren't a deal breaker for me - maybe we won't get the usual cruise crud illness!

Laura

My DW and I will seriously consider wearing masks on some cruise activities even when not required to avoid the crud.  On longer cruises, especially world cruises, it appears about 30 days in and eventually we end up getting it.  I really think masks could help in that regard.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

I think the only way cruising will start again is by having restrictions and I welcome them - vaccination proof required (DH and I have ours), wearing face coverings, ship-sponsored excursions only, crew vaccinations required, no children under 16 on board unless vaccinations begin for them and they get them. These restrictions are for our health and for those on the ships. 

I think requiring vaccinations is the only way the start up can be successful.

• Like 12

We are wait and see. 

But we are also 2.  Cruise line only excursions are a deal breaker for us. 

Who wants to be forced into visiting trash and trinket stores or sit on a bus waiting for an extra  20 minutes while the group leader tries to find some person still  in the restroom or still shopping for more tat?  Not us.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

My DW and I will seriously consider wearing masks on some cruise activities even when not required to avoid the crud.  On longer cruises, especially world cruises, it appears about 30 days in and eventually we end up getting it.  I really think masks could help in that regard.

We think we will masks on airplanes from now on, all the time, even if not required.  Wear them in the cruise terminal while checking in, and even in the show lounge, so many times we have sat by people who are coughing.  

• Like 4

The problem is that some cruise lines, such as Costa, were NOT allowing people to get off the ship and walk around town.  

They were given two choices.  Sign up for a cruise line excursion OR stay on the ship.

This is a moving target, who knows what rules will be in place next month or next year.  That is why we are not booking anything until we know for certain.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, iancal said:

We are wait and see. 

But we are also 2.  Cruise line only excursions are a deal breaker for us. 

Who wants to be forced into visiting trash and trinket stores or sit on a bus waiting for an extra  20 minutes while the group leader tries to find some person still  in the restroom or still shopping for more tat?  Not us.

I was basically going to post the same thing. (Though for the last paragraph, I will give you total credit.)

Those two options are basically not mutually exclusive. 

• Like 2

Number one applies to me if cruising resumes this summer or fall.  I am willing to abide by the restrictions for the chance to go somewhere.  And I welcome them to keep me safe. I hope that vaccinations are required for everyone on the ship. However, as time goes on and the pandemic is "contained" I want the freedom to choose my own excursions again.

• Like 4

The only deal breakers for me is if the ports aren't open to tourists and I do require a guarantee that the sailing won't be aborted for one or even a few coronavirus positive tests.  I don't see a lot of difference between wearing a mask on a cruise ship versus wearing a mask when I manage my daily life around town.  Ditto with shore excursions.  Many of the events I am currently attending in our area require pandemic restrictions.  

As an aside I am only looking at cruising in western, developed countries for the next 2 or so years.  The vaccine will certainly have a slower roll out in less developed countries.  A slower roll out means fewer amenities/sites available to tourists.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

Number one applies to me if cruising resumes this summer or fall.  I am willing to abide by the restrictions for the chance to go somewhere.  And I welcome them to keep me safe. I hope that vaccinations are required for everyone on the ship. However, as time goes on and the pandemic is "contained" I want the freedom to choose my own excursions again.

It may just be our desires but I think there will be a lot of pressure for the cruise lines to allow freedom of choice in ports as soon as possible.  In fairness, it might also be dictated by the port.  Personally I think the lines will struggle to fill up ships with super tight protocols whether they are medically necessary or not.  I also think some who go on the earlier cruises may have a different opinion coming off the ship then they have going on the ship. 

• Like 1

I desperately want to travel, so I may put up with some things I normally wouldn't. 

We have a motorhome and have made 2 trips already this year and we enjoyed them, but we had to do things differently. Normally we leave our driveway with the destination in mind, but the route is determined on a whim. Usually we eat out a few times. Not this year. 

We have a month in a condo in Florida in April. My husband and I usually drive down together and then he either flies home or drives home while I do 2 weeks solo. We dine out every night. This year, neither of us like that scenario. Something will have to change. 

I think we will just have to watch and see how the re-start works before we have to PIF. We have never done a ship excursion and are not interested in starting that now, but my thinking is that all travel has changed in some fashion and if we are to continue the types of traveling we like, we just may have to accept some things we don't like, at least in the near future.

We would wear masks and social distance before we would do ship shore excursions. If ship excursions were required, then we would look at the itinerary and the pricing of the cruises we would book very differently.  

The only thing I am certain of, is that we're not going to quit traveling.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kplady said:

Masks aren't a deal breaker for me - maybe we won't get the usual cruise crud illness!

Laura

Today I looked at the flu stats for 2020-21.  925 cases of influenza in the USA since September compared to "Influenza typically causes about 45 million illnesses, 810,000 hospitalizations and 61,000 deaths in the United States each year." https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=250948

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

We just need a nice cabin with a balcony and a lounge chair and we’re happy.

Same here. We take our cruises for absolute relaxation - just to chill out. No prep/cleaning for meals is a big plus - plus no need to drive to restaurants. Getting off ship is just an option. Much better than renting an oceanfront condo but dining out for meals.

Only exception is the Alaskan cruise which includes DD, DS and spouses.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Djptcp said:

Overkill ??

Why in the world if both passengers and crew are vaccinated would we need ship sponsored excursions only ?? Uh??

Once we reach the point where we're all vaccinated where does it end ? 

Just curious...

5 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

We’re in for whatever protocols they feel necessary.  I can mask up, social distance and use ship excursions.  We just need a nice cabin with a balcony and a lounge chair and we’re happy.

You would actually be happy staying in your cabin/balcony for the entire cruise. May as well be in quarantine. Not for us..