Covid protocols announced for CCL - count on the same for HAL?

KirkNC

3 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I'm surprised and disappointed that vaccines aren't mentioned.  

Perhaps these are only some of the requirements.  Short term also; in order to return to cruising in the next few months requiring a vaccination is likely to prevent most people from being able to cruise.  Longer term, I won't be surprised if vaccination is required.

Edited by 0bnxshs
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, zelker said:

Assume people have seen this on HAL's site:

Cruise Traveling, Staying Healthy & Cruise Safety Protocols | Holland America Line Cruises

And at the bottom it says - "Final protocols and practices will be provided with final documentation when cruising resumes. Specifics may change."

In other words, you won't know what rules the sailing you had bought will have until you receive your final documents. Let the buyer beware! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Hopefully they will modify the rules to require vaccinations later in the year.

I am certainly disappointed that there is no mention of vaccinations. I believe that the cruise industry is at least partially responsible for The Canadian decision. Had HAL (and others) stepped up and stated that vaccinations were a requirement for an Alaska cruise then the Canadians might of given us some credit for being able to police ourselves. I have done two TA's where Norovirus has been rampant, I hate sick ships !

I certainly will not be taking any cruises where I will be a victim of HAL tours.

Had five cruises on the books, two just crossed off.

So far none of the vaccines in use have been demonstrated to reduce the vaccinated person's ability to transmit the virus.  Astra Zenica has demonstrated that, but until a vaccine is available that reduces a person's ability to infect others comes along I see little benefit in requiring others to be vaccinated.

Roy

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I'm surprised and disappointed that vaccines aren't mentioned.  

Ditto.  I think a vaccine would be more re-assuring than a test.  

If vaccines aren’t required then the risk is higher IMO.  Personally, if we don’t have the vaccine, we won’t be cruising/travelling.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, 0bnxshs said:

Perhaps these are only some of the requirements.  Short term also; in order to return to cruising in the next few months requiring a vaccination is likely to prevent most people from being able to cruise.  Longer term, I won't be surprised if vaccination is required.

Good point.  I suspect you are right.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

So far none of the vaccines in use have been demonstrated to reduce the vaccinated person's ability to transmit the virus.  Astra Zenica has demonstrated that, but until a vaccine is available that reduces a person's ability to infect others comes along I see little benefit in requiring others to be vaccinated.

Roy

The benefit is those that are vaccinated are 1.  Less likely to contract Covid anD 2.  If they do contract it, there is little to no chance of a severe case.  Without everyone vaccinated, one case on a ship means everyone is quarantined and the ship returns to port, cruise over.  With everyone vaccinated, you isolate the person with it and the cruise can go on.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, aa7yy said:

I am certainly disappointed that there is no mention of vaccinations. I believe that the cruise industry is at least partially responsible for The Canadian decision. Had HAL (and others) stepped up and stated that vaccinations were a requirement for an Alaska cruise then the Canadians might of given us some credit for being able to police ourselves. I have done two TA's where Norovirus has been rampant, I hate sick ships !

I certainly will not be taking any cruises where I will be a victim of HAL tours.

Had five cruises on the books, two just crossed off.

I disagree.  If the Canadian government had been willing to accept fully vaccinated ships they could have easily included that in the rule.  Too many questions still remain concerning transmission when vaccinated and the impact of variants for vaccinations to provide a blanket exemption.

• Like 4

I have had several Covid tests (required before various medical procedures) and I have never been provided with an ORIGIONAL document showing the results. It has been an EMAIL everytime. Will they accept a printout of the EMAIL as an origional document?

I think these protocols are reasonable but I would be more comfortable if it was required that every passenger provide proof that they had had the vaccinations at least 10 days prior to embarcation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmcfad2 said:

I'm glad they aren't requiring vaccinations. But, having to take their excursions bums me out.

It does say ‘during the initial return to cruising’. This is in line with the European lines that have started up (or tried), and isn’t surprising. 
Given how nervous cities and countries are of cruise ships, including most US ports, going straight from a full cruise ship ban to letting everyone run everywhere is a big step. A (hopefully brief) period of ‘OK, you can come, but keep your people contained’ seems like a logical progression.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

The benefit is those that are vaccinated are 1.  Less likely to contract Covid anD 2.  If they do contract it, there is little to no chance of a severe case.  Without everyone vaccinated, one case on a ship means everyone is quarantined and the ship returns to port, cruise over.  With everyone vaccinated, you isolate the person with it and the cruise can go on.

This, and also there's little likelihood of a sick ship overwhelming local hospital systems in small places if everyone's vaccinated.  It probably won't be long before they have a handle on whether vaccinated people are carriers, and if it proves they're not, I think ship acceptance at ports will start to happen. 

1 hour ago, nocl said:

I disagree.  If the Canadian government had been willing to accept fully vaccinated ships they could have easily included that in the rule.  Too many questions still remain concerning transmission when vaccinated and the impact of variants for vaccinations to provide a blanket exemption.

We can go ahead and disagree. My point is the cruise lines seem to be responding. Wouldn't hurt to be pro active and try and get out front more like the airlines. Show the Canadians we are part of the solution. If they knew that everyone heading up to Vancouver had been vaccinated they might be a little more willing to take our money. For my two cruises in September we have 7 months to work out what works or didn't work.

But now it just doesn't matter, to late and we wait for HAL to refund or transfer our money.

We are at a junction where the votes are in.  However, they failed to ask the most important question.  Tabulated results were that 5% of past cruisers will not cruise if mandatory vaccinations are required.  However, they didn't ask "Will you travel if Mandatory Vaccinations are Not required?"  As well as the onerous restrictions by CCL such as masks, social distancing, not self exploration, have to stay together while ashore and may not be able to leave the dockyard, certainly not by self.

Comments.  I have two cruises with HAL Dec 21 and May 22.  I will cancel if they don't make vaccinations mandatory and you can wear masks or not.  I do not want to be reminded X 20 what I live thru everyday.  How do you social distance in an elevator or theater?   Let us let Darwinian principles rule the outcome for the non vaccinators and the rest of us can get on with a normal life.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Preliminary evidence from Moderna showed that participants in a clinical trial who received the vaccine and were tested for Covid between their first and second doses had a roughly two-thirds reduction in asymptomatic infections. “That means there’s a substantial, substantial reduction in overall infections just from that first dose,” says Deepta Bhattacharya, an associate professor of immunobiology at the University of Arizona in Tucson.  Under what circumstances would a person on a cruise have no symptoms and infect others?