I need some help......

southernshug

Chances are our Alaska cruise will be canceled, so I thought I'd look at anything for the Caribbean in September.  I found one on Edge ( not familiar with this ship at all) that looks interesting but I'm not a huge fan of those vitual balconies. So I was looking at an aft balcony instead and was wondering if they get noisy at night from that club down below? Is there a better deck for some shade? Also......is Celebrity planning on cruising in September? I mean, I know not in Alaska but I'm afraid I haven't kept up with other places. Any info would be awesome! TIA

26 minutes ago, Hygge! said:

My TA said don't do anything yet.  I am hoping the companies will work something out for the Alaskan cruises.  

I really hope they do but just in case they don't.....is the Caribbean an option? Or are they just not sailing at all this year? 

38 minutes ago, Hygge! said:

My TA said don't do anything yet.  I am hoping the companies will work something out for the Alaskan cruises.  

I hope you mean that the companies will work something out as an alternative to Alaskan cruises. That parrot is most definitely dead.

• Like 2

We're planning on using our two "now cancelled" May 2021 Alaska cruises as "place holders" to book a couple of Edge Caribbean cruises later this summer. This way we don't have to put down a deposit to book them.

Our only question is will Celebrity decide to add conciliatory OBC (e.g., $100 pp) to our now cancelled Alaska bookings to entice us to use them to book future cruises before they disappear from our account? It's pretty much a timing thing. If we did the "place holder" transfer today to book the summer cruises before X makes a decision, we would lose that potential conciliatory OBC perk.

Right now our X PVP is checking on that and has put our desired summertime Edge cabin on hold until he finds out what X is going to do, hopefully in the next couple of business days. What we don't want to see happen is to get the standard "Refund or FCC" offer which we believe would eliminate the option of using the cancelled Alaska cruises as place holders which would then require us to shell out more deposit money for the new cruises. At least that's our plan right now.

As far as the cruise lines sidestepping the PVSA, I really don't think that is going to happen.

4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We're planning on using our two "now cancelled" May 2021 Alaska cruises as "place holders" to book a couple of Edge Caribbean cruises later this summer. This way we don't have to put down a deposit to book them.

Our only question is will Celebrity decide to add conciliatory OBC (e.g., $100 pp) to our now cancelled Alaska bookings to entice us to use them to book future cruises before they disappear from our account? It's pretty much a timing thing. If we did the "place holder" transfer today to book the summer cruises before X makes a decision, we would lose that potential conciliatory OBC perk.

Right now our X PVP is checking on that and has put our desired summertime Edge cabin on hold until he finds out what X is going to do, hopefully in the next couple of business days. What we don't want to see happen is to get the standard "Refund or FCC" offer which we believe would eliminate the option of using the cancelled Alaska cruises as place holders which would then require us to shell out more deposit money for the new cruises. At least that's our plan right now.

As far as the cruise lines sidestepping the PVSA, I really don't think that is going to happen.

PVSA is not the stopper for Alaska.  That you need a port agreement for medical treatment to accept ill passengers looks like impossible for Skagway (the ships have more facilities) to unlikely with Ketchikan with 25 total beds for the area makes things a challenge.

Add to that the fact that Alaska has travel restrictions to keep their COVID cases low and they want to keep it that way.  

Can you see how Alaska cruises can happen in 2021?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

PVSA is not the stopper for Alaska.  That you need a port agreement for medical treatment to accept ill passengers looks like impossible for Skagway (the ships have more facilities) to unlikely with Ketchikan with 25 total beds for the area makes things a challenge.

Add to that the fact that Alaska has travel restrictions to keep their COVID cases low and they want to keep it that way.  

Sorry, but if everyone has proof they have been fully vaccinated, I don't see the need for having the port agreement for medical treatment anymore, especially with the results being documented with all of the leading vaccines so far. But then I'm just sitting over in the peanut gallery wanting to go cruising again, so what do I know.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Sorry, but if everyone has proof they have been fully vaccinated, I don't see the need for having the port agreement for medical treatment anymore, especially with the results being documented with all of the leading vaccines so far.

There is absolutely no way that is happening in 2021.  The Alaskan cruise season starts in about 90 days.  

12 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

There is absolutely no way that is happening in 2021.  The Alaskan cruise season starts in about 90 days.  

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I have no doubt X would be able to entice quite a few fully vaccinated cruise hungry folks that would be more than happy to book a cruise on one of their various (previously) scheduled Alaska Millennium cruises starting May 9th in 2021. But, of course, that's a mute point now unless the PVSA "foreign port" requirement somehow gets waived.

6 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I have no doubt X would be able to entice quite a few fully vaccinated cruise hungry folks that would be more than happy to book a cruise on one of their various (previously) scheduled Alaska Millennium cruises starting May 9th in 2021. But, of course, that's a mute point now unless the PVSA "foreign port" requirement somehow gets waived.

Perhaps.  But I think finding those people would be a needle in a haystack.  Especially since airfare would need to be booked, pre-cruise arrangements, etc.

And I really don't know how many "cruise hungry" folks there are with all the uncertainty.  

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Sorry, but if everyone has proof they have been fully vaccinated, I don't see the need for having the port agreement for medical treatment anymore, especially with the results being documented with all of the leading vaccines so far. But then I'm just sitting over in the peanut gallery wanting to go cruising again, so what do I know.

That would be true if the vaccines were 100% effective for all variants but they're not.   Cruise passengers will need a combination of vaccines and tests for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

It is my understand that you can still get Covid after you have been fully vaccinated. So you become positive with covid and have mild or no symptoms can you still give Covid to someone? 

This is one of the questions that needs to be answered.

5 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Yes, they could get around the PVSA by combining a Pacific Coastal cruise with an Alaskan cruise - perhaps a 14 night round trip from LA (with a stop in Ensenada) if the CDC would allow more than 7 nights or a 14 night between Ensenada and Seward - using the bus trip between San Diego and Ensenada.  But the medical issues certainly need to be solved if at all possible.

1 hour ago, bigbenboys said:

It is my understand that you can still get Covid after you have been fully vaccinated. So you become positive with covid and have mild or no symptoms can you still give Covid to someone? 

Don't know if it has been proven, but that would seem to be the primary reason for requiring masks after being vaccinated.

Do the vaccines work against new variants?

Scientists are confident the vaccines will offer good protection against the new variants, although perhaps not quite as much as they did against the original form of the virus.

If new versions of the vaccines are needed, developers say it's relatively easy to tweak the current recipe to target some of the more worrying mutations.

Oxford-AstraZeneca developers plan to create a new version of their vaccine, if required, to tackle new variants next winter.

Can I spread coronavirus if I've had the vaccine?

There are encouraging signs that people who have been vaccinated are far less likely to spread coronavirus.

A study by the University of Oxford carried out weekly tests on people who had received the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine.

It suggesed the vaccine may have a "substantial" effect on transmission of the virus.

Not turning this into a vaccine thread just copied from BBC website, you can catch and or transmit after the vaccine but symptoms less severe

Liz

I look at it a bit different. I'm on a Alaska cruise and have stopped at Red Dog Saloon in Juneau to have lunch and a beer. I dont know I have Covid because I have no symptoms. Might I give Covid to someone else that is at the Saloon with their mast off having a beer that has not had the Covid shot or shots?

I'm not even sure if Juneau could handle 3 ships with only tours through the cruise lines. Meaning no private tours or just walking off the ships.

Dont get me wrong. It would be great for Seattle, Alaska and the cruise industry if they could pull it off with little to no Covid infections. We have a Alaska cruise booked for June 2022. It will be our 4 or 5 cruise to Alaska. I'm wanting to do the Zipline in Icy Straits Point.

In the U.S., you won’t be sitting at a bar.   The restaurants will also unlikely be at full capacity and tables will be six feet apart.   You wear a mask, even in a restaurant if you are not eating or drinking.    Most states are still highly restricted and even outdoor dining requires tables to be set far apart.   I have heard that you are less likely to spread the virus after the Astra Zeneca vaccine.   Unfortunately, the U.S. hasn’t approved it even though it has great results in Britain.

As I said in my previuos post I am not making this another  vaccine thread

But

Having the vaccination does not prevent you getting Covid it makes the illness less severe.

You can have Covid and not know therefore pass it on if not following guidelines Mask, Face, Space

Edited by emmas gran
addition