Cruising out of Florida this year?? Read this!!!

CILCIANRQTS

Florida has shot itself in the foot with the lack of coordinated Covid 19 control measures at the state level and state mandated restrictions on control measures that can be taken at the local level.

As a result, we have had surges of unmitigated community spread as we see the results of state level encouragement of tourism in the state as many of the visitors (and local residents) belong to the mindset of "Covid is a hoax no worst than the flu." 

At least, residency requirements have been put into place for the vaccine to stop the vaccine tourists ("Come for the vaccine, stay for the sunshine").

We have finally seen the drop off of cases from the holiday season (highs of over 15,000 - 20,000 cases  a day).

Now we have the new super spreader event of the Super Bowl this weekend. While the protection of mandatory mask wearing in certain locations are being touted , there is plenty of news video showing maskless visitors and residents celebrating.

We will soon lurch into the spring break tourist season and the resultant community surge.

It doesn't matter if the cruise ports open.  I can not see any cruise line scheduling Florida departures while there is no guarantee that passengers can safely reach the ship without potential exposure.

I was hopeful last summer and booked a cruise that was suppose to depart in April 2021 from Miami. I cancelled it in December as it become obvious that the chance of any cruise ship departing from a Florida port in the first four months of 2021 was nonexistent.

I was hopeful that with the availability of the vaccines and maybe with some commonsense, that cruising might resume sometime in June. I booked a cruise for the end of July 2021 with a Miami departure.

Well, we have all been learning over the last two weeks about the non-existence of Covid 19 coordination and the bollixed records of vaccine supple at the national level.  

I feel that I will be cancelling the July cruise in April before final payment is due.  

One wonders how the cruise lines can survive with two years of dead losses.  Ships burn huge amounts of cash just sitting.  Of course I miss my travels but I really feel for the many thousands put out of work by this.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

One wonders how the cruise lines can survive with two years of dead losses.  Ships burn huge amounts of cash just sitting.  Of course I miss my travels but I really feel for the many thousands put out of work by this.  

The impact on many communities in Indonesia, Philippines, Moldova, etc must be staggering.  Cruise ship salaries and tips drive a lot of economic activity.

My heart goes out to those who have been irreparably broken by the pandemic. An unimaginable, sobering number of lives and futures have been lost, scarred and disrupted by the pandemic. While we will eventually get on with our lives this year or next, there are staggering numbers who have been permanently harmed. I feel blessed and concerned.

RB

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Avoiding Florida until after pandemic.  My friends who are there tell me about the problems.

I wish more people would do this.

The news stories on the unmasked, non-distanced crowds in the Tampa Bay area for the Superbowl is upsetting for those of us in the region that will need to deal with the fools as they travel north by car and stop in out communities for pit stops.

It seems we are on that unicorn, a WC completely full of world cruisers.  I suspect if Viking has to cancel the '21/'22 WC they might set up a second WC.  Hard to turn down that kind of demand.  Another bit of good stuff to hang on to is that our sold out WC would be a very hard cruise for them to cancel.  World situation would have to be very bad  in order to refund a ship full of world cruisers.  Whatever happens I would prefer to be on the Neptune in a highly modified WC.  Maybe not as highly modified as the Magical Mystery Cruise but you get the idea....😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

I wish more people would do this.

The news stories on the unmasked, non-distanced crowds in the Tampa Bay area for the Superbowl is upsetting for those of us in the region that will need to deal with the fools as they travel north by car and stop in out communities for pit stops.

Using government posted figures today, the world wide deaths, as a percentage of world wide population calculate to.00028875 percent.  Really?  You want to be scared, look up death rates from coronary causes.  Pneumonia, Malaria.  Time to get back in the saddle world.  There are literally thousands of things one might catch that in worst case will kill you.  Staying at home will not protect you forever....

Not sure about the deaths from Malaria in Arizona or Florida.  Deaths from Covid in Arizona over 14K and in Florida 27K. In the UK over 112K

I am lucky enough to have had the vaccine but it may be a considerable time before Cruise ships will be welcome in ports across the world.

We are hopeful in the UK that travel will re start but it may be that stay at home vacations will be the norm. I have a Viking cruise scheduled to Norway in September.   Hopefully we will be welcome but I would quite understand if Norway says No !

• Like 1

Malaria in AZ is not the point.  We have, among others, Valley Fever which in worst case is fatal.  The last two years we have visited over 30 countries with malaria.  Let's use your Arizona figures.  14K deaths out of a population of roughly 8 million is .00175.   And for that we shut down the world?  Just asking.

When you visited the countries that had malaria I presume you took precautions . Understand a vaccine is in research as well. My point is that from a cruise point of view, the ships and passengers may not be welcome for a considerable time. We are not welcome n Norway for example and we are not allowed to travel abroad from the UK. 
I hope that things get back to normal as soon as possible but a return to cruising may not be a high priority in a world enduring so many major problems. 

• Like 1

And I am just stating that the covid problem is not necessarily the fearful thing we have been forced to accept.  In any given recent year, deaths from all causes on this planet will be approaching 60 Million a year.  The Spanish Flu, which this current mess has often been compared to, killed approximately 50 million out of a then world population of about 1,9 billion.  .0263......  It receded in just over two years with no vaccine.  What we have now is a fraction of that death rate and the vast majority of the public won't even catch it.  So, how many of your limited years of life do you donate to fear and hiding?  Years you will never get back.  Not picking on you but asking the question of the world's bureaucrats and politicians that prove time and again "do as I say, not as I do".   I am fine with those who wish to quarantine.  I am also fine with those who risk getting out and about.  Something is waiting out there for all of us.  Always has been, always will be.  

Jim Avery, I think you need to check your arithmetic. If individuals reduced their number of contacts, social distanced and wore masks the incidence of the virus would reduce dramatically. This, along with vaccination, would allow businesses to reopen, travel to recommence and schooling to return to normal. We can not forfeit the lives of millions simply to allow selfish individuals to live their lives simply as they wish.

• Like 1

Just now, friendlyfifer said:

Jim Avery, I think you need to check your arithmetic. If individuals reduced their number of contacts, social distanced and wore masks the incidence of the virus would reduce dramatically. This, along with vaccination, would allow businesses to reopen, travel to recommence and schooling to return to normal. We can not forfeit the lives of millions simply to allow selfish individuals to live their lives simply as they wish.

Or are the masks and social distancing prolonging the event?  Would we have "herd immunity" by now if no shutdowns took place?  The dead, unfortunately, mostly had other issues which would have caused their end and covid might have been the last straw.  So could have been the flu, etc.  A close relative in hospital management with a larger chain is frustrated with the way they are required to count covid deaths.  Even if cancer is the primary cause, for one example, if the person tests positive for covid it is listed as a covid death.  I personally would not, and never have, go overseas if sick.  If I became sick on travels (other than minor stomach issues) I would seek treatment even if that included isolation. Living life outside of "the bubble" is not being selfish.  How about union teachers, fully paid, refusing to teach school? Now that's selfish.  As to cruising, require vaccinations and treat/isolate anyone who becomes sick.  Allow other passengers to get on with life.  If one chooses to avoid cruising that is his or hers option to do so.  

This conversation is personal as a dear cruising friend lost her husband to COVID in March.  Masks, social distancing etc etc were not available to the many many millions who died with Spanish Flu 100 years ago.   Each death is a tragedy to a family. I want to believe that most people are public spirited enough to want to help stop as many deaths as possible

i don’t want to be responsible for passing the virus on to my family, friends and anyone else I may come into contact with and I believe most of the great people I have met on cruises have similar views. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

This discussion is beginning to feel like a political debate. It has veered from accepted science. Cruise Critic is an escape for some of us from this sort of debate. Let's stick to cruising. JMHO

RB

I agree. Viking it seems are putting specific measures in place to keep passengers and crew safe. My concern is that some passengers, once onboard, will not abide by Viking’s requirements. When it comes to hand sanitising, mask wearing, social distancing and testing I would not want some individuals to simply do their own thing for whatever reason, political or otherwise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, friendlyfifer said:

I agree. Viking it seems are putting specific measures in place to keep passengers and crew safe. My concern is that some passengers, once onboard, will not abide by Viking’s requirements. When it comes to hand sanitising, mask wearing, social distancing and testing I would not want some individuals to simply do their own thing for whatever reason, political or otherwise.

I certainly hope that isn’t the case. This Board seems to have a pretty enlightened group.  Viking and it’s passengers have a lot at stake to do this correctly. 

20 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

The dead, unfortunately, mostly had other issues which would have caused their end and covid might have been the last straw.  

Sorry Jim, that statement is off base as covid has accelerated death by 10 years or many more for several people I know or know of (relatives & friends) who had pre-existing conditions. Some are people who had to cancel cruises - permanently. And I know of someone who isn't dead, but is still hospitalized 6+ weeks as he can not breathe on his own. He is 34, no pre-existing conditions he was aware of. Please don't trivialize what covid is doing to us.

• Like 1

Squawkman I am very sorry for your losses.  I never meant to say covid is trivial or does not exist, just that there are lots of things, unfortunately, that kill some of those who contract them.  My frustration is in the inept reaction of government bureaucrats who I personally think have made this worse.  The world didn't shut down for AIDS, the medical industry got on with handling the situation as best they could.  Many died in that example too.  Losing someone close, regardless of the reason, is horrible and I hope the best for you and yours.

Jim -Thanks for your kind words. But please realize the big difference with AIDS, heart disease and many other killer diseases is that you covid is contracted airborne - and I truly believe - whatever bureaucrats do or don't do  - that masks, social distancing, reducing indoor dining, etc. etc. are unfortunately still needed at this time. 

• Like 2