Grandfather sentenced for death of granddaughter

babs135

3 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Was he drunk? Was that ever established?.  Maybe he has done it on purpose, or to put it another way maybe he was fooling around like Michael Jackson did one time? Not just simply letting the baby see out of the window.

The video is very revealing.

I don't think it was established if he had drank any alcohol.

The old thread showed baby Chloe knocking on a glass surrounding a sports area and it was made out she loved doing this but no one lifted her up like Anello did on the ship to supposedly get a better view.

I feel for the family in their loss but trying to sue Royal Caribbean is wrong.

• Like 3

Wouldn't he have felt the blowing of the air on his face? And maybe even the heat from the sun?

We can't tell if he could feel the breeze but we can see that the sunlight hit the top of his head when he stuck his head out of the window. We can also see the sunlight hit Chloe's white hat when she was placed outside of the window. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The video is very revealing.

I don't think it was established if he had drank any alcohol.

The old thread showed baby Chloe knocking on a glass surrounding a sports area and it was made out she loved doing this but no one lifted her up like Anello did on the ship to supposedly get a better view.

I feel for the family in their loss but trying to sue Royal Caribbean is wrong.

I have never seen it and I have no wish to be fair. But yeah very sad for the family and extended family but yeah suing them is wrong. But that's America for you call the lawyer. The families of high school shooter TJ Lane's victim sued his family for wrongful death for millions. I have seen his sentencing hearing. What he said in court was incredible.

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

What does seeing color have to do with it?

Anello claimed he was colour blind and couldn't make out the window was open.

The same one he stuck his upper body out for 8 seconds before picking Chloe up as seen in the video.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Anello claimed he was colour blind and couldn't make out the window was open.

The same one he stuck his upper body out for 8 seconds before picking Chloe up as seen in the video.

Post number #105 says it best.

• Like 2

I have never seen it and I have no wish to be fair. But yeah very sad for the family and extended family but yeah suing them is wrong. But that's America for you call the lawyer. The families of high school shooter TJ Lane sued his family for wrongful death for millions.

The video is shown on this thread a couple of pages back.

5 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Isn't that also the American culture the civil suits. It is not going to bring the kid back you know. We take inside/oceanviews - they force you to mix with people imo -. I don't know whether that window should have opened or not to be honest. I will defer to guy who do balconies.

What do you think Royal will do if they do win?.

I did not ask you, but since you responded and have a question I will answer.  

I think it will be settled out of court, even though RC should be able to win the case.  

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

He did. I thought you americans done justice properly and gave our sentences. Like I said the ban from Royal is more serious than what he got. 

Why was he not charged with murder so called depraved indifference murder like in New York State or cold heart murder in Chicago. A remember a guy getting charged for murder in the 90s when he tried to kill himself by jumping off a roof broke both his legs and killed the guy whose car he landed on with him inside. That has always stuck in my mind.

I don't know where he was charged (presumably Puerto Rico) but each jurisdiction has it's own definition of what each crime consists of and I doubt that the facts would support a murder charge even under New York's statute or Chicago's that you cite but they might depending on how those laws are written. He now has a record and for at least the next 3 years his movements are limited. This was, on it's face, an accident and while the grandfather was negligent that doesn't rise to the level of "murder" in most jurisdictions (and I keep in mind that after a full investigation evidence wasn't developed to show beyond a reasonable doubt that it was more than an accident). 

• Like 1

What would be the verdict if the baby was put up to the window by a stranger. Just someone who picked up the baby because she was cute.

Also many older ships don't have windows on the Lido, just open railing.

22 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Statement from Sam Anello regarding today’s sentencing:

After this sentencing, I feel a mixture of anger and relief.  Relief that I will serve no jail time and that I did not have to admit any facts.  Relief for my family so that we can close this chapter and move on together. 

I feel angry at Royal Caribbean because it is clear that these windows never should have been allowed to have been opened in the first place.  You can’t go into a single hotel or building anywhere in the United States where windows this high up would be allowed to be opened more than a few inches.  Yet on this cruise ship, Royal Caribbean allowed this window to be opened by anyone, at any time, right next to a kid’s water park. 

I always thought this was a wall of glass.  There was no indication to me that some of the glass panels in this wall of glass could even open.  That is why Royal Caribbean deserves the blame here. 

I decided not to contest these charges, even though I know I committed no crime, because I would not have to admit any facts or suffer any significant penalty.  It was a choice of focusing our resources and deciding the best path to tell Chloe’s story and devote our family’s energy was in the civil case, where we can make a real difference for the safety of the youngest cruise passengers by working to force Royal Caribbean to follow the rules and laws that require windows like this to open no more than a few inches.  If these rules were followed when we were on that ship, Chloe would still be alive today. 

I miss you so much Chloe.

– Sam Anello

Truly innocent people want the facts known, Sam. People who refuse to admit that they killed someone try to hide the facts. For over a decade and a half this ship sailed without any idiot passengers dropping someone out of those windows...then came you.

No no, you still aren't getting it dude, If YOU had followed the rules, it wouldn't have happened.  This is a person in complete denial.  The only thing that flabergasts me is that he will not just say, "it was totally my fault, I made a  serious error in judgement and it resulted in an accident (yes, it was an accident) that caused the death of my Grand Daughter.  I saw that the window was open and stupidly put my GD on the window sill."  The rest of the world does not owe him constant supervision and the rest of us who do have a brain should not have to swelter in the heat with no windows open...that's the bottom line.  I pity his family, for having to deal with this lack of mentality, but it would justify for me, the light sentence if he'd just admit his culpability.  BTW dude, there are tons of buildings in downtown New York that have opening windows.  Permanently closed windows are primarily due to air conditioning, not to keep stupid people from doing stupid things.  And without doubt, Royal Caribbean has no shred of liability in this case, nor should they pay out a red cent for damages.  And I absolutely do not believe he did not know the window was open....just didn't happen SAM I AM.  Pity!

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

No no, you still aren't getting it dude, If YOU had followed the rules, it wouldn't have happened.  This is a person in complete denial.  The only thing that flabergasts me is that he will not just say, "it was totally my fault, I made a  serious error in judgement and it resulted in an accident (yes, it was an accident) that caused the death of my Grand Daughter.  I saw that the window was open and stupidly put my GD on the window sill."  The rest of the world does not owe him constant supervision and the rest of us who do have a brain should not have to swelter in the heat with no windows open...that's the bottom line.  I pity his family, for having to deal with this lack of mentality, but it would justify for me, the light sentence if he'd just admit his culpability.  BTW dude, there are tons of buildings in downtown New York that have opening windows.  Permanently closed windows are primarily due to air conditioning, not to keep stupid people from doing stupid things.  And without doubt, Royal Caribbean has no shred of liability in this case, nor should they pay out a red cent for damages.  And I absolutely do not believe he did not know the window was open....just didn't happen SAM I AM.  Pity!

The moment he says that he can kiss his big payday goodbye 

• Like 1