Grandfather sentenced for death of granddaughter

babs135

30 minutes ago, loman said:

All i can say is... what a pathetic family trying to profit on the death of their child.

I completely agree. It's so telling the mom hired an attorney right away before they were even home.

At least take some time to grieve and put your child to rest for goodness sake. It's all about the $$$$.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

If you were Royal, would you want him to testify? Knowing that his version is false?

On one hand, it gives Royal a chance to destroy the "kids play area/only 1 window open/didn't know that it was open..." lies put forth by Anello, the Wiegands, and Winkleman.

On the other hand, the "sympathy for grandpa who has suffered enough..." can creep into a juror's head.

If his version is false than so is the family's version, so I might because of the second paragraph. I haven't seen much sympathy expressed for the grandpa in the threads about this that I have participated in and wouldn't expect a jury to display much, either. 

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Exactly how I feel.

The video should have been clear evidence of his guilt and he has got away with causing this poor girls death.

No, he didn't get away with it. The penalty might not be what you wanted it to be, but nonetheless there was a penalty (and pragmatically probation is the likely outcome for any first time offender in a negligence/involuntary manslaughter case). 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, tinkertwo said:

I think it's more trying to come to an understanding.  Trying to put the blame where they can move on.  Yes, there is money involved but I think it's more to give them closure.  It's not right but I really think it's for personal feelings, not personal gain.  

JMO.

You can get closure without accepting a multi-million dollar settlement.  The correct thing to do is to decline any settlement money if they win the case. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, babs135 said:

Grandfather Sentenced For Dropping Daughter From Cruise Ship Deck | HuffPost

Could someone please explain what is entailed in 3 years probation?  Is it just reporting to certain authorities ?

Every time I see this post title, I read 'Grandfather sentenced to Death for Grandaughter'

• Like 10

Just now, Another_Critic said:

You can get closure without accepting a multi-million dollar settlement.  The correct thing to do is to decline any settlement money if they win the case. 

I really doubt they will win but they may just give any settlement money away in the name of Chloe.  Don't know.  

All I'm saying is they need to blame someone.  If they blame the Grandfather then they have to blame themselves for leaving her with him.  That could, mentally, be hard to do.  This might be how they are coping.  Not saying it's the right way, saying it could be their way. 

I hope it's not about money.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

I completely agree. It's so telling the mom hired an attorney right away before they were even home.

At least take some time to grieve and put your child to rest for goodness sake. It's all about the $$$$.

I guarantee the lawyer contacted her, I’d imagine she’d be in a catatonic state for a while. I can’t imagine having any bad feelings towards this poor woman.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Isn't that also the American culture the civil suits. It is not going to bring the kid back you know. We take inside/oceanviews - they force you to mix with people imo -. I don't know whether that window should have opened or not to be honest. I will defer to guy who do balconies.

What do you think Royal will do if they do win?.

If Family Wins? They'll appeal, then will  be long time before this over. Window's? Been open since 90's, not going anywhere and were still open when I was last on them. Pretty sure first time anything like this happened and was preventable. There are Lower Railings are all around the Ships, and other Royal Ships, these Window's and the Railing is actually higher and harder get over at the Incident. Ship's now have many more Balcony Cabins then inside, not about to change... 1.33 Million Lawyers in US, they got to work and pay off those $200K in Student Loans, 

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

The video shows what happened and only Anello can tell us why he did what he did but sadly it is the little girl who died a horrific death.

My point is, why bring his age and step status into the conversation? Is it worse that he wasn’t related to the girl who he knew since birth?

25 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

My point is, why bring his age and step status into the conversation? Is it worse that he wasn’t related to the girl who he knew since birth?

I contributed quite a lot in the original forum and it was pointed out he was only 50 and strong and not some dithery old man that didn't know what he was doing that some media were trying to portray.

It also said he was only the boyfriend of the grandmother which I took to mean he wasn't that close to Chloe's mam and dad.

Your in laws sound like wonderful people.

Graham.

• Like 4

What I find odd is that the Wiegand's attorney states that this was a child's play area -- when I viewed the video it looks like the window is next to an adult bar.  How sadly coincidental that he chose the one window that was open in a huge wall of closed glass windows, to have his grand daughter bang at the glass.  Just seems like a senseless, preventable tragedy -- sad all around. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I would expect that if the plaintiff's win Royal will appeal.

And they will win the appeal and the family will be left with what millions in legal fees?

Edited by ace2542

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Every time I see this post title, I read 'Grandfather sentenced to Death for Grandaughter'

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

Me too, I had to read it a few times but I am old so that’s my excuse🤪

Me three! 

Glad to know I'm not the only one. 🙃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

No, he didn't get away with it. The penalty might not be what you wanted it to be, but nonetheless there was a penalty (and pragmatically probation is the likely outcome for any first time offender in a negligence/involuntary manslaughter case). 

He did. I thought you americans done justice properly and gave our sentences. Like I said the ban from Royal is more serious than what he got. 

Why was he not charged with murder so called depraved indifference murder like in New York State or cold heart murder in Chicago. A remember a guy getting charged for murder in the 90s when he tried to kill himself by jumping off a roof broke both his legs and killed the guy whose car he landed on with him inside. That has always stuck in my mind.

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I contributed quite a lot in the original forum and it was pointed out he was only 50 and strong and not some dithery old man that didn't know what he was doing that some media were trying to portray.

It also said he was only the boyfriend of the grandmother which I took to mean he wasn't that close to Chloe's mam and dad.

Your in laws sound like wonderful people.

Graham.

Was he drunk? Was that ever established?.  Maybe he has done it on purpose, or to put it another way maybe he was fooling around like Michael Jackson did one time? Not just simply letting the baby see out of the window.

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

How sadly coincidental that he chose the one window that was open in a huge wall of closed glass windows, to have his grand daughter bang at the glass.

There were SEVERAL windows open. The lie of "...only one window was open and the rest was a wall of glass..." is a lie put forth by the attorney just like the "...children's play area..." lie.

37 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

It's been reported that Anello is married to Patricia who is Chloe's mom's mom. Patricia does wear a ring on the appropriate finger to indicate that she is married but that isn't "proof". We're guessing that they are actually married and have been married or together since before Chloe was born.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

My point is, why bring his age and step status into the conversation?

His age is brought into the conversation because the media is portraying Anello as "grandpa" instead of a 50 (at the time) year-old man who works in IT...

Cat5-Vs-Cat6-Vs-Cat7-Ethernet-Cables-Com

...and seeing color is probably important in his job.

• Like 2

Just now, Baron Barracuda said:

With cruising suspended how about bringing Freedom in to Miami and letting jury come aboard to view pool deck windows and draw their own conclusions.  Might shorten trial considerably.

The 11th deck was subsequently renovated -- don't know if they changed the window configuration.