Grandfather sentenced for death of granddaughter

babs135

1 minute ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Anello isn't suing Royal Caribbean. The Wiegands are suing.

I doubt that matters at all, he can be subpoenaed to testify and likely has been. I just re-watched the video and it contradicts the family's statement that there is no evidence supporting Royal.

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

And how do you feel about the civil case the family is continuing on with?

Isn't that also the American culture the civil suits. It is not going to bring the kid back you know. We take inside/oceanviews - they force you to mix with people imo -. I don't know whether that window should have opened or not to be honest. I will defer to guy who do balconies.

What do you think Royal will do if they do win?.

13 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Anello isn't suing Royal Caribbean. The Wiegands are suing.

It is blood money and it won't bring the kid back. But see the above post. I will defer to you balcony takers for your opinions.

8 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

The child's death was a nightmare. The grandfather will in my imagination relive the horror for the rest of his life, both when awake and when asleep. 

Agree. As a grandparent, I can't imagine living with knowing that my actions led to the injury or death of one of my precious grandchildren, regardless of legal consequences. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I doubt that matters at all, he can be subpoenaed to testify and likely has been.

For the sake of discussion, it does matter. The post related to Anello not being able to take the 5th. As a witness (not the plaintiff), he can.

Even if Anello will testify in the civil case, most of what he'll say will easily be proven to be a lie. I hope that he does testify and finds out that RCCL attorneys aren't as gentle as David Begnaud.

The surveillance footage is already entered so Anello's version won't really help the Wiegands. Sure, having a tearful, "colorblind", remorseful grandpa could sway a juror but hopefully the suit will be judged on the facts instead of on emotion.

3 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

For the sake of discussion, it does matter. The post related to Anello not being able to take the 5th. As a witness (not the plaintiff), he can.

Even if Anello will testify in the civil case, most of what he'll say will easily be proven to be a lie. I hope that he does testify and finds out that RCCL attorneys aren't as gentle as David Begnaud.

The surveillance footage is already entered so Anello's version won't really help the Wiegands. Sure, having a tearful, "colorblind", remorseful grandpa could sway a juror but hopefully the suit will be judged on the facts instead of on emotion.

Since what he did is a critical part of determining comparative negligence (which I presume would be something to be decided, I know it would be under Vermont law) I don't think that he can refuse to testify under any grounds. Since he's already been charged he can't take the position that he is fearful of criminal charges since he can't be re-tried because of double jeopardy and that is what the protection from self incrimination under the 5th provides.

28 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Isn't that also the American culture the civil suits. It is not going to bring the kid back you know. We take inside/oceanviews - they force you to mix with people imo -. I don't know whether that window should have opened or not to be honest. I will defer to guy who do balconies.

I would expect that if the plaintiff's win Royal will appeal.

8 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I don't think that he can refuse to testify under any grounds. Since he's already been charged he can't take the position that he is fearful of criminal charges since he can't be re-tried because of double jeopardy and that is what the protection from self incrimination under the 5th provides.

Theoretically, Anello can refuse to testify (I don't believe that he will refuse) on the grounds that his recollection of events is inaccurate. 🤪

None of this matters since Anello most certainly will testi-lie in hope of gaining financially. The more time he spends with Winkleman, the more likely Anello will continue to lie.

15 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Statement from Sam Anello regarding today’s sentencing:

After this sentencing, I feel a mixture of anger and relief.  Relief that I will serve no jail time and that I did not have to admit any facts.  Relief for my family so that we can close this chapter and move on together. 

I feel angry at Royal Caribbean because it is clear that these windows never should have been allowed to have been opened in the first place.  You can’t go into a single hotel or building anywhere in the United States where windows this high up would be allowed to be opened more than a few inches.  Yet on this cruise ship, Royal Caribbean allowed this window to be opened by anyone, at any time, right next to a kid’s water park. 

I always thought this was a wall of glass.  There was no indication to me that some of the glass panels in this wall of glass could even open.  That is why Royal Caribbean deserves the blame here. 

I decided not to contest these charges, even though I know I committed no crime, because I would not have to admit any facts or suffer any significant penalty.  It was a choice of focusing our resources and deciding the best path to tell Chloe’s story and devote our family’s energy was in the civil case, where we can make a real difference for the safety of the youngest cruise passengers by working to force Royal Caribbean to follow the rules and laws that require windows like this to open no more than a few inches.  If these rules were followed when we were on that ship, Chloe would still be alive today. 

I miss you so much Chloe.

– Sam Anello

Truly innocent people want the facts known, Sam. People who refuse to admit that they killed someone try to hide the facts. For over a decade and a half this ship sailed without any idiot passengers dropping someone out of those windows...then came you.

I watched the video of the event several times and he clearly knew that window was open. 

The way he held her at the window was just plain stupidity as all toddlers squirm.  

Very sad event and he has to live with it.  It makes him feel better to still blame someone else other take responsibility that he was in the wrong.

Sounds like he is hoping for compensation from Rcl so his family will forgive him.  I'm sure attorneys helped him write his above release too.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Has nothing to do with a cabin.  If you watch the videos, He was at lounge area of pool deck.  They open windows there all the time, especially since they were at san juan port on a hot day.  

They way he picked her and held her at the window.  Its been a while since I watched the videos but I think he even had his head out the window. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HicksRA said:

His biggest punishment will be living the rest of his life knowing he killed an innocent toddler. 

His statement doesn’t hold water as they have video of him hanging the child out the window. He knew there was an open window there. 

That is why he was glad he wasn't forced to admit anything because he knew he did wrong.

He was quick to blame RC and expect them to pay for his mistake which we saw on the video.

11 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Theoretically, Anello can refuse to testify (I don't believe that he will refuse) on the grounds that his recollection of events is inaccurate. 🤪

None of this matters since Anello most certainly will testi-lie in hope of gaining financially. The more time he spends with Winkleman, the more likely Anello will continue to lie.

But he would have to testify under oath that his recollection of events is inaccurate. There is always the possibility that someone will lie when testifying under oath, but opposing attorneys know how to winnow that out (by comparing statements under oath with those made elsewhere, etc.). But if Royal wants his testimony there are mechanisms in place to obtain it (not sure what value it would be, but the fact remains they can force the issue if it's in their interests to do so). And of course if he testifies for the plaintiffs then he will be subjected to rigorous cross examination.

Edited by sparks1093

12 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

He had his head out the window before he picked the toddler up.  I watched the videos when this first happened and he holds the child out the window for some 90 seconds.  Sit down and count off 90 seconds.  It’s a long time.

That is exactly what I recall seeing on the videos but it's been a while since I watched it.

I hated watching the video as it is very sad.  I'm sure it's the attorney that is still trying to blame rcl to get family compensated.   I sure hope that rcl wins and doesnt give a penny.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I won’t cut him any slack, because he did one of the dumbest things possible and continues to blame Royal. If the guilt is clouding his memory does he think the videos were photoshopped? How can he not see what is right in front of him? He deserved jail time.

Exactly how I feel.

The video should have been clear evidence of his guilt and he has got away with causing this poor girls death.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

But if Royal wants his testimony there are mechanisms in place to obtain it (not sure what value it would be, but the fact remains they can force the issue if it's in their interests to do so).

If you were Royal, would you want him to testify? Knowing that his version is false?

On one hand, it gives Royal a chance to destroy the "kids play area/only 1 window open/didn't know that it was open..." lies put forth by Anello, the Wiegands, and Winkleman.

On the other hand, the "sympathy for grandpa who has suffered enough..." can creep into a juror's head.

1 hour ago, cruisin from florida said:

Agree. As a grandparent, I can't imagine living with knowing that my actions led to the injury or death of one of my precious grandchildren, regardless of legal consequences. 

Anello was a step grandfather not related to the child and he was only 50 years old.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Anello was a step grandfather not related to the child and he was only 50 years old.

So.clearly he didn’t love her as much as a 70 year old biological grandpa? My in-laws have been married over 30 years, my mother in law is not biologically related to my kids, but she has been their grandmother for 25 years.

• Like 2

Just now, loman said:

All i can say is... what a pathetic family trying to profit on the death of their child.

I think it's more trying to come to an understanding.  Trying to put the blame where they can move on.  Yes, there is money involved but I think it's more to give them closure.  It's not right but I really think it's for personal feelings, not personal gain.  

JMO.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tinkertwo said:

I think it's more trying to come to an understanding.  Trying to put the blame where they can move on.  Yes, there is money involved but I think it's more to give them closure.  It's not right but I really think it's for personal feelings, not personal gain.  

JMO.

I understand but the lawyer that they are using is always out for the money and always seems to assume the cruise line is wrong before investigating.   What I don't understand is that the mother is a lawyer and should know better.   

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

So.clearly he didn’t love her as much as a 70 year old biological grandpa? My in-laws have been married over 30 years, my mother in law is not biologically related to my kids, but she has been their grandmother for 25 years.

The video shows what happened and only Anello can tell us why he did what he did but sadly it is the little girl who died a horrific death.

• Like 1