Airlines and White House Meeting today. X Alaska decision too.

Arizona Wildcat

36 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I keep reading also that the CDC recommends people do not travel.  Very frustrating.  I know the total facts are not 100% known yet, but from what I have read the experts are leaning towards the belief that the odds of a fully vaccinated person spreading the virus is low.  That is assuming, of course, that the person still follows the guidelines of mask wearing, social distancing, etc., and has waited the proper amount of time for the vaccine to take effect.  Most US state's Covid positivity rates are falling as well, which also lessens the risk.  I know we need to keep an eye on the variants and whether the vaccines work on them, as well as the hospitalization rate for the area to be visited.  But considering all the above, if things don't take a turn for the worse, then I just don't get the anti-travel recommendation, at least domestically, for those who are fully vaccinated.  End of rant🙂

The problem is how do you know who has had the vaccine or not?

49 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Correct. And the longer it lingers while other countries get it under control we will start to become isolated by them to prevent us from reinfecting those nations. My fellow American members here need to be prepared for a possible situation where cruising returns to other parts of the world by Celebrity and other American lines including in Europe but Americans are not welcome aboard due to travel restrictions preventing us from reaching those countries.

Spot on. I received an email from an Oz Ta today. They must know something our governments, NZ & Oz, don't.

Eclipse 14 day cruise Nov 2021. Partial quote;

"With international travel coming to a halt recently the travel bubble between Australia and New Zealand is our great hope. The hard work that both nations have put in looks set to finally pay off soon when a two way travel agreement will be made available."

It could be a pointer towards a "bubble" future and exclusive of non antipodeans.

4 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

So, what was the outcome of the WH meeting?  My guess is nothing substantial other than everyone wear their double masks for the remainder of the year.  😷 🍷

So, like, cloth over surgical mask?

1 hour ago, Wine-O said:

So, what was the outcome of the WH meeting?  My guess is nothing substantial other than everyone wear their double masks for the remainder of the year.  😷 🍷

They tried to wake up sleepy Joe to no avail. 

• Like 5

On 2/12/2021 at 1:58 PM, CrankyOldGuy said:

Has the port of Seattle said anything about the situation?  Is Washington state under any lock downs or restrictions? 

Washington State has divided counties into large regions which are assigned to "phase 1" or "phase 2" depending on Covid-19 statistics.  All regions except for one large region in eastern Washington are now in "phase 2."  That does not mean that Washington has relaxed most of its restrictions.  Many businesses still have employees working from home.  The state has a statewide mask requirement.  Restaurants are partially open and many have chosen to continue with takeout only.  Yes, we are still living with restrictions and anticipate that restrictions will continue well into 2021.  The Port of Seattle occasionally posts updates that pertain to cruise ships - latest update Feb. 4th.   I've posted a link for you.

https://www.portseattle.org/page/covid-19-updates-2021-cruise-season

link to Washington State guidelines and restrictions

https://coronavirus.wa.gov/what-you-need-know/safe-start/whats-open

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wine-O said:

I have not seen any report from either the Airlines or the WH/CDC representatives.

Seems we are in a holding pattern for some weeks as vaccinations continue and cases drop along with hospitalizations.  Case levels have dropped enough that contact tracing is happening in some Arizona counties.

Will be interesting to see the results from the Super Bowl.

21 hours ago, cluso said:

The problem is how do you know who has had the vaccine or not?

You don't.  And I don't blame other countries for restricting travel from the US until 1) we have some type of vaccination proof we can offer and 2) we determine that being fully vaccinated significantly reduces (if not prevents) people from spreading the virus to others.   I know they don't know the answer to point #2 yet, but from what I have read they are leaning towards believing that it does - but not enough data to know for sure yet.

I guess I get frustrated in that soon I will be fully vaccinated (I am so thankful for that BTW!), I always (and will continue) practicing wearing a mask, social distancing, etc..  So I guess I just don't understand why then I can't begin to travel domestically.  If or when a dangerous variant were to start spreading in my area or the area I am visiting, of course I would reconsider until it is known if I could spread that variant (or if heaven forbid my vaccine did not work against it).  But if I can go out to eat now, can work out at the health club, can go to a movie, etc.., etc.(all reduced capacity of course)., why can't I do that in another state (again, following appropriate guidelines, vaccine or not).    Seems overly cautious to me, and more of an effort to encourage vaccinated people to continue following the rules rather than an actual increase in risk by travel per se.  Just my opinion.

Edited by phoenix_dream

37 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I know they don't know the answer to point #2 yet, but from what I have read they are leaning towards believing that it does - but not enough data to know for sure yet.

Yes.  That's why I find the recent CDC advise that if you are fully vaccinated and come in contact with someone covid positive that you don't need to quarantine?   Can any of our experts provide reasoning behind the new guidance?

The results of WH meeting with the airlines and labor unions is unclear. The government (CDC?) wants to have passengers on domestic flights check for the virus BEFORE travel. The airlines stated that this would do extreme harm to their business and would serve little in the virus spread. The $$ cost would be high and their is no infrastructure to support it. Their position is that people that take short flights would simply avoid air travel and drive to the destination or just not travel.

It seems to me that all this fuss is really an overreach. The southern US / Mexican border is preparing for thousands on illegal immigrants to cross into the US...be held for 30 days...then released. There is no infrastructure for testing these people for COVID, TB or anything else in place. So we are to believe that grandpa and grandma can't travel without a test, yet allow thousands of untested people into our country? It makes no common sense....only political sense. 

Edited by baldilocks
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thought these were a couple of interesting articles regarding the potential for a limited PVSA exemption. No decisions have been made, of course, but there are definitely a lot of folks hopefully working towards a positive conclusion.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/people-opinions/fmcs-sola-calls-limited-pvsa-exemption-diplomatic-action-help-alaska

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Insights/who-fights-for-big-ship-cruises-Alaska

People making the rules should connect more with real life.

Do they know or even  care about what people are going throught to secure tests and Covid shots?    It can be daunting  for many folks, even those who are fairly good with computers  and local news. They make alot of  rules but  seem clueless  or care less about what is really going on,,.

REAL WORLD

It  took many hrs and days of searching online without any  luck to get our Covid vaccine appts  Finally,  we lucked  out in early January by contacting a rural hospital that eventually  accepted us.  Drove over an hour each way, twice, got our shots,  self monitored and rested for a few days after each dose,  ( 2nd was a doosey)  

Yes, this is for our good health but not easy peasy as the rule makers may imagine. Many neighbors are still on long  lists.  Others have waited for hrs on long  lines in varying weather conditions..many are age 80 +.

Yet we are not considered safe  enough to fly to NY State!

REAL WORLD :

Now we start the hunt for NY  ("Cuomo EMERGENCY  Plan" ) pre and Post air travel testing appts, even tho' we are " fully vaccinated"

Tests  must be  completed at set time frames to avoid  a 10 day  full quarantine  (where you are  called at home  sev times a day to make sure you are  at home,) fines are $ 2,000 per violation..they send out papers in the mail so we've heard,

Tests are not easily available where we are now..We have to travel to a another area, line up at 6:30  am to get on a list at 8 am...and hope we  can get the test before slots and supplies run out.  Then we must file a mandated  NYS travel form. Carries.  $10, 000. Fine if not filed.  Democracy in Action???

If flight is delayed or we cant get tested,  we are in lockdown for NO GOOD REASON.  if we do make it through, we need to test again..possibly standing out in frigid temps to line up for the second required test.

This is  after we have had 2 Covid vaccinations, wear masks, wash hands etc,

Makes no sense but NY state gives us no present options for travei.

If the fed gov follows  the NY or a similar plan... air travel will decline even more, another hit to the economy! And not positive to cruising.

Hope they find a good safe solution

• Like 1

Why wouldn’t you just opt for the 10 day quarantine? Sounds so simple, get your groceries delivered and you will be fine. I’m glad they call to check on people, you’re in quarantine for a reason. Despite you having both shots there is still a chance you could be positive. If you must travel at this time, you need to follow the rules of where you’re going. 

8 minutes ago, sheffield said:

Why wouldn’t you just opt for the 10 day quarantine? Sounds so simple, get your groceries delivered and you will be fine. I’m glad they call to check on people, you’re in quarantine for a reason. Despite you having both shots there is still a chance you could be positive. If you must travel at this time, you need to follow the rules of where you’re going. 

Not so simple..rules are way too draconian where we are going......in  NY you can play sports, dine out, have  large weddings,  protests ,. Most rules  have been slowly relaxed soon after Nov,

We have been away for 3 months.,.. we need groceries, we never use deliv services. B/c you get the worst selection, picked out by ungloved people, with their germs,  ,We have seen  items lined up in carts in the store for hrs Delivered by strangers to the door.. No thanks!

We def  need  prescription refills,  ob-gyn  exam overdue, , dentists, lab work, doctors....post ofc, .banking.  As soon as possible... All local..all masked.  We survived for many months in NY  being careful before we left,  did not get sick on our flights out of NY  and were free and fine in Fla during our stay by being careful and layiing low

Tracking of  citizens  has become a  cottage industry, calling folks at all hours,   imposing hefty fines, while criminals roam free..How many get sick on airplanes or spread Covid is still unknown, 

We will bust our tails to get tested,  hand in our  forms to the soldiers greeting us  at the airpirt if we cannot file it  online,  If we cant get tested we will waste 10 days in lock up,, We no longer Love NY!

Day 10 is the  grandbaby's 1st birthday..the main reason we are coming up north...otherwise we would wait til our gov's emergency  powers expire if they are not removed first. Would be sad if fed gov takes this same route for domestic travel.  Hope the airlines and cruise lines fight it!

My point  in my very long post was that folks who make rules should realize how they impact others in real time.b/c they themselves are often  self exempted,

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, hcat said:

Not so simple..rules are way too draconian where we are going......in  NY you can play sports, dine out, have  large weddings,  protests ,. Most rules  have been slowly relaxed soon after Nov,

We have been away for 3 months.,.. we need groceries, we never use deliv services. B/c you get the worst selection, picked out by ungloved people, with their germs,  ,We have seen  items lined up in carts in the store for hrs Delivered by strangers to the door.. No thanks!

We def  need  prescription refills,  ob-gyn  exam overdue, , dentists, lab work, doctors....post ofc, .banking.  As soon as possible... All local..all masked.  We survived for many months in NY  being careful before we left,  did not get sick on our flights out of NY  and were free and fine in Fla during our stay by being careful and layiing low

Tracking of  citizens  has become a  cottage industry, calling folks at all hours,   imposing hefty fines, while criminals roam free..How many get sick on airplanes or spread Covid is still unknown, 

We will bust our tails to get tested,  hand in our  forms to the soldiers greeting us  at the airpirt if we cannot file it  online,  If we cant get tested we will waste 10 days in lock up,, We no longer Love NY!

Day 10 is the  grandbaby's 1st birthday..the main reason we are coming up north...otherwise we would wait til our gov's emergency  powers expire if they are not removed first. Would be sad if fed gov takes this same route for domestic travel.  Hope the airlines and cruise lines fight it!

My point  in my very long post was that folks who make rules should realize how they impact others in real time.b/c they themselves are often  self exempted,

Perhaps it may be better to stick by rules and not travel in the first place 🤔

• Like 9