will I need the RCCL app to check in

xray0111

Guess I should change my name to "Old Fogey" for asking this but I will do that another day.

I have a old Android phone that I cannot get to download the app.  Will I have to have the app. on my phone for anything cruise related such as check-in, lifeboat drill, etc.  All I use it for is a occasional text and call.  I have little or no need right now for any other apps.  I have plenty of time to get another phone but don't want to until this one gives out.  

Thanks,

Xray (Old Fogey)

19 minutes ago, island lady said:

I never use the app.  This fellow "old foggy" just does the check in online and then print out the set sail pass.  

This ole' fart does too. Plus I also print off our luggage tags. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, island lady said:

I never use the app.  This fellow "old foggy" just does the check in online and then print out the set sail pass.  

We never used the app before.  It is so unreliable and wrong so much of the time.  Going forward, who knows....but up until now, NOPE !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, davekathy said:

This ole' fart does too. Plus I also print off our luggage tags. 

Yup, me too.  Have a stack of those reusable clear plastic tags I slip the printed luggage tags into, which worked for disembarkation tags as well.  Always one on the top, and one on the side of each bag.  

But...wait a minute...I forget...what is a set sail pass and luggage tag again??!! 🤔😳

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Yup, me too.  Have a stack of those reusable clear plastic tags I slip the printed luggage tags into, which worked for disembarkation tags as well.  Always one on the top, and one on the side of each bag.  

But...wait a minute...I forget...what is a set sail pass and luggage tag again??!! 🤔😳

Memories. 😉

• Like 1

12 hours ago, xray0111 said:

Guess I should change my name to "Old Fogey" for asking this but I will do that another day.

I have a old Android phone that I cannot get to download the app.  Will I have to have the app. on my phone for anything cruise related such as check-in, lifeboat drill, etc.  All I use it for is a occasional text and call.  I have little or no need right now for any other apps.  I have plenty of time to get another phone but don't want to until this one gives out.  

Thanks,

Xray (Old Fogey)

if you have a tablet or IPad you can do it from there.  I actually did this on my tablet on the Celebrity Summit back in January 2020 when my phone battery died.  I had the app loaded on my tablet and was able to show at check in. 

My suggestion is to either take phone to your providers local store and have them help you or have a relative or friend help install app.  When I used it on Celebrity, it was really nice.  I never once looked at the compass paper.  I can't remember if I had it on my Brilliance TA in 2019 but I think I did.  I vaguely remember making Chops reservations with it.  If I didn't have my kids and husband, I would be lost in this tech world.  It is really neat once you get the hang of it.

11 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You can keep track of app availability and features on this (It is updated regularly - there's also a whole thread on the app)

RCI app matrix - Google Sheets

That's pretty cool.

Our last cruise, the officers did their rounds in the suite lounge like they do. The IT lead came through. He seemed quite pleased that someone actually wanted to talk shop with him instead of just typical cordial exchanges.

13 hours ago, xray0111 said:

Thanks,

Xray (Old Fogey)

Xray,

What version of Android is on your phone?  Royals says it will run on 7.0 and up, which cam out in August of 2016.  Is your phone older than that, or are you having trouble trying to get it to install?

There are some smart folks on here who might be able to walk you though it.

Good lck,

Tom

10 hours ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

Xray,

What version of Android is on your phone?  Royals says it will run on 7.0 and up, which cam out in August of 2016.  Is your phone older than that, or are you having trouble trying to get it to install?

There are some smart folks on here who might be able to walk you though it.

Good lck,

Tom

• Like 1

Not sure of the version but 4 people who are very knowledgeable could not get it to load and were at a loss why it wouldn't.  Cruise is not til late Jan. 22' .  We've just always turned off our cell phones when we leave port and put them in the safe.  If we have to be somewhere at a certain time we have our watches with us tho we seldom need them.  I just wanted to be sure that we did not HAVE to use a app for something either at embarkation or for the lifeboat drill.  Thanks for your reply.

Xray 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Thank you Biker19, how often is this spreadsheet updated by RCI

It is crowd sourced, not by RCI, and is updated quite soon after any change, usually within a day or two. There have been no meaningful changes to it other than app version updates in the past year..