The Daily for Tuesday Feb 23, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! What a stellar combo of days! I know someone in my house who appreciates dog biscuits every second of every day!I will not be telling her about today. 

Roy, thank you for taking care of our lists! I appreciate the shout out! The door guru discovered that the previous door had been installed backwards! 
Morning Dailyites & my Sisters.  Love the quote. Today’s drink and meal sound great. I think I am going to try yesterday’s and today’s meals with riced cauliflower instead of couscous/quinoa/rice.  

@dfish, Debbie kudos for trying out the gym.  My local gym worked with the County health folk to reopen safely: someone on every third machine, everyone clean equipment before & after use, a limited number in the weight room, and classes at 1/3 capacity with spots marked, so we could reference where we should be. And diligent cleaning. They even set up specific times of each day where anyone in the gym has to be masked. A few of us where masks even when working out. And the County make surprise visits to check on them, so they can maintain their “seal of approval”.

@bennybear, praying for a cancer free future for you, Brenda. Thank you for sharing this challenge with us. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

The most critical thing to know when you go looking for this wine is that it is a Barolo, not a “Barodo”. The next thing to know is that every released vintage has  amazing ratings, so find the best price and go for it. I found the cheapest online price of $58.99 for the 2016 vintage with one of the many online distributors. Note: the reviews are for the 2015 vintage which is drinkable now. 

Winemaker Notes

A classic style Barolo. Excellent structure, harmony, elegance. Soft tannins and balanced fruit. Approachable, but with a very long ageing potential. Barolo is such a great wine which should not be described as a “basic” or “regular” Barolo, simply because it does not have any additional indication on the label.

JS96 James Suckling: Complex aromas of smoke, ash and dark fruits with a precision and intensity. Layered and gorgeous. Loads of dark fruit and perfume. Full-bodied with round and wonderfully polished tannins. Wonderful length and richness. Goes on for minutes.

WE94 Wine Enthusiast: Camphor, cedar, mature berry and pipe tobacco aromas are front and center. The full-bodied, linear palate shows strawberry compote, wild cherry, licorice and white pepper framed in taut, fine-grained tannins. Drink 2020–2027.

What an intriguing wine. First description sounds like a volcanic eruption-smoke, ash, goes on for minutes. The second one kind of lost me at aroma of camphor with a taste of licorice. Of course since my palate never detects most of these things, perhaps I wouldn’t even notice! 

Fritz would be delighted to know it was dog biscuit day, but I didn’t tell him because then he would want one and we have been trying to limit his treats. He gets a snack at bedtime and takes his pills twice a day with a little cheese, so we have to watch him; like the rest of us he could stand to lose a pound or two (or in our case a pound or 20.) Just let him out in the yard and all the squirrels looked up and said, “oh, it’s THAT dog”,  and went back to munching on sunflower seeds. 

Enjoying the sunshine again today! Keeping all on our care list in my prayers. 

St Louis Sal

• Like 20

Good  morning  to  all. Fred  comes  tearing  down  the  hallway  as  soon  as  the  cabinet  door  opens where  his  treats  are  stored.  We  have  to  demonstrate  that  other  things  are  kept  in  there  as  well. The  recipe  looks  good  but  I  already  had  a  different  chicken  dish  in  the  oven  and  will  save  it  for  another  day.

Roy, it  sounds  as  if  there  are  a  lot  of  steps  towards  repairing  your  cardiac  situation.  I  will  add  myself  to  those  who  will  always  cheer  you  on.  There  were  times  during  my  DH's  illnesses  that  I  just  kept  telling  us  both  "one  day  at  a  time". It  sounds  trite  but  it  did  help. Sending  love  and  virtual  hugs  to  you.         Terry

• Like 20

Curling is quite the deal in Minnesota too. There are lots of curling clubs and many have waiting lists to join. 

I grilled a porterhouse steak yesterday and didn't even need to wear a jacket, not a typical February activity in MN. We had twice-baked potatoes and sautéed asparagus with onions and Ghirardelli brownies (Costco had a giant box of mix on sale) for dessert. Tonight is our typical $10 Tuesday pizza.

Our inherited Christmas cactus (that my parents brought up from Arizona in 2010) bloomed yesterday. Maybe it thinks it is a Margarita Day Cactus? Or maybe it is happy knowing it won't be moving again for a long time!

20210222_141906.thumb.jpg.e0d64b4abe7dd42b368245c95b034a5c.jpg20210222_141940.thumb.jpg.845b52d4ca9cb8641645afde3a9167c5.jpg

• Like 24

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Debbie kudos for trying out the gym.  My local gym worked with the County health folk to reopen safely: someone on every third machine, everyone clean equipment before & after use, a limited number in the weight room, and classes at 1/3 capacity with spots marked, so we could reference where we should be. And diligent cleaning. They even set up specific times of each day where anyone in the gym has to be masked. A few of us where masks even when working out. And the County make surprise visits to check on them, so they can maintain their “seal of approval”.

The water fitness class was great!   There were only 11 of us in the pool, spread out well using the shallow and deep ends.  People have learned to social distance since I tried this in July.  The Monday/Tuesday instructor is wonderful.  She does a great class and it felt so good to be back at it.  She told me I might want to take it easy since I hadn't been there for a while, but my at home routine has kept my endurance up.  I noticed when I went in that there was no one in the weight area, so I will go in early tomorrow and use the weight machines before the pool.   Cardio is great and the pool is great, but resistance exercise is important as well.  I am pleased as punch about this.  I have missed this tremendously.

• Like 25

3 minutes ago, dfish said:

The water fitness class was great!   There were only 11 of us in the pool, spread out well using the shallow and deep ends.  People have learned to social distance since I tried this in July.  The Monday/Tuesday instructor is wonderful.  She does a great class and it felt so good to be back at it.  She told me I might want to take it easy since I hadn't been there for a while, but my at home routine has kept my endurance up.  I noticed when I went in that there was no one in the weight area, so I will go in early tomorrow and use the weight machines before the pool.   Cardio is great and the pool is great, but resistance exercise is important as well.  I am pleased as punch about this.  I have missed this tremendously.

Yah for Debbie!

• Like 8

Some more good news -- the OBC for Carnival stockholders has been renewed until July 31, 2022. We've enjoyed this benefit & glad that it's being continued, despite the hard times for the cruise industry. Yay!

We're getting for DH's surgery tomorrow & looking forward to him being able to walk again. It's unclear whether I'll be able to visit him while he's in the hospital -- the Governor has lifted restrictions as of March 1. We'll see whether the hospital might lift it early. 

Stay well and wear your mask (or two)!

Edi

• Like 17

Good morning everyone. I almost forgot to check in because of all the excitement here.

DH HAS an APPOINTMENT for his first shot through the NJ VA. He belongs to the VA in NY but NJ and NY don’t talk to each other so he had to sign up and qualify for the. VA in NJ. The place is about 50 minutes away, but more than manageable. 

Interesting number of days. We never gave our dogs biscuits, I’m a lousy tennis player and never did curling. But, it’s not snowing so I’ll take that.

Through the magic of technology, we were able to talk to our daughter who is in Costa Rica  to wish her a happy birthday yesterday by using what’s app. I love technology, although I don’t always understand it. I quit at email and Facebook and don’t do Twitter or anything else.

Stay safe out there and double mask.

Carol

• Like 21

8 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

DH HAS an APPOINTMENT for his first shot through the NJ VA. He belongs to the VA in NY but NJ and NY don’t talk to each other so he had to sign up and qualify for the. VA in NJ. The place is about 50 minutes away, but more than manageable. 

YIPPEE!!!

9B44D217-638C-4E3A-91F1-39BEAC138AE9.gif.fa78e14b344f6aa49708d078c740f877.gif

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, dfish said:

Excellent News!  Happy to hear this 🙂 

• Like 8

Good morning all!

Love the quote, no dogs here to give biscuits but I know they appreciate them, and I'm a terrible tennis player!  Rationalization is pretty typical for most people.  At first I had to look up curling day, my first thought was curly hair (I know, not enough coffee is my excuse)!  😅

Chicken stir-fry sounds really good, but I prefer the way I make it (no recipe).  Lots more veggies like onion, peppers of all colors, carrots, celery etc.  Also I have a bottled stir-fry sauce that's easier and just as good as any I could make myself.  Oh my gosh, last night we had the One-pot cheesy meatballs and tortellini and DH raved about it.  It's a keeper!

@mamaofamiyay for your DH getting an appointment!  

• Like 15

Good Morning and Thank You for the Daily!🙂

🤓Today is Trivia Tuesday if you follow Seth Wayne Holland America Line on Facebook....Golden Globes is the topic... so it will be a movie trivia day. (1 pm PT/4 pm ET.)🎥

Yesterday was the last Monday of the month and the project mgr was discussing the newest ship, the Rotterdam.🛳️

🙏Prayers to all who are in need. 🙏

16140969611964039870563066097459.jpg

• Like 15
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, NextOne said:

We're getting for DH's surgery tomorrow & looking forward to him being able to walk again. It's unclear whether I'll be able to visit him while he's in the hospital -- the Governor has lifted restrictions as of March 1. We'll see whether the hospital might lift it early. 

More really good news.

I hope you will be allowed to visit your DH. I am sure it will pick up his spirits 😄  Hope all goes well for him and he has a fast, smooth recovery!  🤞 

• Like 8

Good morning, all! An interesting collection of days. All the dog biscuit talk makes me miss my Bear keenly, although he’s been gone for years. It doesn’t seem fair to get another dog until we have finished our travel years, although being grounded for almost a year now makes me wonder. The last of the roast chicken is on tonight’s menu, so the chicken stir fry is perfect! Roy’s lamb menu is tempting, and there’s lamb in the freezer, but that will wait for another day. We have a break in the rain! Not sun, mind you, but the clouds are staying put instead of coming down to visit. I’ll take that as a win.

Finally, Happy Tuesday, as we dream of being whisked up to the Crowsnest by one of these.

E7C165B8-B4D8-4199-B12D-00C2D381160F.thumb.jpeg.5f3b0837a5d997adfcdf41ef0bf5570f.jpeg

• Like 20

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Debbie, this is great! And kudos to you for keeping up your endurance. Not the easiest thing to do. 

• Like 6

Some more good news -- the OBC for Carnival stockholders has been renewed until July 31, 2022. We've enjoyed this benefit & glad that it's being continued, despite the hard times for the cruise industry. Yay!

Edi

Best wishes & prayers for your DH’s successful operation tomorrow, Edi!

• Like 7

Edi

May I ask a couple of questions if you're willing.  Is DH now considered free of cancer.  And I think you mentioned Baltimore.  Are you willing to name the hospital?

Roy

• Like 3

Good morning and thanks all!   Ooh,  @cat sheparda Barolo!   Yum!  Thanks for the kind words!  

We had the strangest weather last night.  Thunder snow and hail!   Only happens .1% of snow storms!   Could hear it and didn’t know what was happening until we looked outside.   Good thing is we didn’t have to worry about our plants, 🤷‍♀️

DBD1DF50-A525-4427-A4F6-D2A9A200D43F.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Wonderful!   Getting a vaccine appointment is as good as winning the lottery.

• Like 8

May the surgery go smoothly and recovery quick.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, NextOne said:

Edi

Best wishes for your HD’s surgery. Hopefully you can visit. Not pleasant being alone in the hospital

• Like 7

I somehow missed that it is Tennis Day when I first looked at the Daily today. As you might guess from my CC name and my signature, I do like my tennis! Unfortunately, I have been off the courts for about a year now due to the pandemic. I normally play twice a week or more. We have a large group that gets together for doubles Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings year round. We usually have at least two courts full. Indoors in the winter and outdoors for the summer. We all like the physical activity of playing, but I really miss the social side of it too. 

Two weeks after I get my first vaccine shot (3/2!), I will definitely think about starting to play again. 

• Like 16

2 hours ago, dfish said:

So happy you were able to get to water fitness.  Good for you.

I am just hoping for a clearing in the weather for a walk.  Although we did get our second shot today so for that I am very grateful.  Our daughter who is a PA said to not do too much today and to drink a lot of water...so I think I will skip cleaning the bathrooms!!  LOL  But will have a glass of wine tonight to celebrate our second dose .

All the pictures are great today especially the ducks with masks. 

Thanks for all the daily news.  Every day is rationalization day for me!!  We are having teriyaki chicken stir fry for dinner.

Prayer to all on the care list and a toast to all the celebrations.

Have an awesome day everyone.

😷

• Like 15