Cruise Out of Rome

Because the Odyssey's May 9 departure out of Rome is not subject to the CDC requirements, is there a chance that RCCL will try to do a sailing out of this (and possibly other) foreign ports?  I can't imagine how this would happen since we're still not allowed into many of the countries on the itinerary.

The cruise is STILL for sale on the RCCL website.  Assuming there is <1% chance this May 9 Odyssey inaugural itinerary will sail, it's really a woefully inept practice to show this and other May cruises as available for booking.  It's really becoming annoying, especially since the  number of other cruise lines canceling May is growing.  If ever I was considering taking RCCL FCC, I'm so past that now.  Just give me my money and I'll book with a cruise line which has more reasonable and honest business practices.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ballwin Babe said:

Because the Odyssey's May 9 departure out of Rome is not subject to the CDC requirements, is there a chance that RCCL will try to do a sailing out of this (and possibly other) foreign ports?  I can't imagine how this would happen since we're still not allowed into many of the countries on the itinerary.

The cruise is STILL for sale on the RCCL website.  Assuming there is <1% chance this May 9 Odyssey inaugural itinerary will sail, it's really a woefully inept practice to show this and other May cruises as available for booking.  It's really becoming annoying, especially since the  number of other cruise lines canceling May is growing.  If ever I was considering taking RCCL FCC, I'm so past that now.  Just give me my money and I'll book with a cruise line which has more reasonable and honest business practices.  

Just because it is still listed it doesn’t mean that anyone is booking it.  All the big cruise lines are the same and have been for the last year,  sometimes  one line cancels first then the next month a different line cancels first.

The truth is no one knows when they will restart and no one wants to cancel too far out and possibly cancel something that may sailing.

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just because it is still listed it doesn’t mean that anyone is booking it.  All the big cruise lines are the same and have been for the last year,  sometimes  one line cancels first then the next month a different line cancels first.

The truth is no one knows when they will restart and no one wants to cancel too far out and possibly cancel something that may sailing.

But we DO know that May cruises will not sail, correct?  Even out of (non-CDC jurisdiction) European ports?  If that is true, the May 9 Odyssey sailing should not be on the RCCL website.  Period.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ballwin Babe said:

But we DO know that May cruises will not sail, correct?  Even out of (non-CDC jurisdiction) European ports?  If that is true, the May 9 Odyssey sailing should not be on the RCCL website.  Period.

In April we knew June wasn’t sailing yet it was still for sale ....and so on and so on until where we are today.  You are beating a dead horse.  Every cruise line is doing the same thing. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Ballwin Babe said:

No, we do not know that May cruises will not sail.

MSC is sailing every week from Italy. With European Schengen as passengers only.

RCI are sailing every week from Singapore. With Singapore residents as passengers only.

So yes, RCI could quite feasibly sail in Europe and limit the passengers to certain passport holders. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, compman9 said:

I am booked on the 9th May cruise

It is illegal for UK residents to travel abroad until June

🤪

Where did you see the June date? My understanding was it's until 17th May and a working party will announce what is allowed after that. Still no good for your 9th May cruise though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, compman9 said:

I am booked on the 9th May cruise

It is illegal for UK residents to travel abroad until June

🤪

The date for international holidays to be allowed is not before 17 May, although this date was listed in the roadmap as being subject to review.

The government's Global Travel Taskforce will reconvene to issue a report by 12 April recommending how international trips can resume safely.

So yes; looks like your May 9th cruise ain’t happening. Ditto for my May 14th one.  Still waiting for the UK RCI office to advise what our options are. 

At least it’s not using up your 180 day allowance now! 😉

Edited by little britain

Guest BigRoger

Seems a bit of strange posting this one... it’s a simple situation (as others rightly say) that RCG have not (yet) cancelled beyond end April, each countries situation is different, indeed each ships situation is different regarding how quickly it can start service.

My sense is that it is clearly unlikely things will go in May but Odyssey is ideally placed to be first into service when and if Italian and Greek (and UK for passengers travelling or even a test cruise stop in southampton) authorities allow it to do so.

With regards to still having it on sale... it’s up to the beholder or buyer beware surely... if you want to go and believe it’s possible then you will go then you’ll book.. if you don’t you won’t... not sure who is being hurt... adults all have free choice! Unless Bill gates is controlling them.....

Slim to none that this ship will sail from Rome in May.

Some port cities in the EU have already stated that they will NOT be allowing cruise ships into their ports during the 2021 sailing season. Barcelona for 1.

The EU is going to be very cautious about opening up for tourism. They will slowly open for Intra EU first, and then slowly open for the rest of the rest of the international community.

While the CDC is a respected authority around the world. They are not the final end all and be all. Every other country has their own CDC like entity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

Slim to none that this ship will sail from Rome in May.

Some port cities in the EU have already stated that they will NOT be allowing cruise ships into their ports during the 2021 sailing season. Barcelona for 1.

The EU is going to be very cautious about opening up for tourism. They will slowly open for Intra EU first, and then slowly open for the rest of the rest of the international community.

While the CDC is a respected authority around the world. They are not the final end all and be all. Every other country has their own CDC like entity.

Agreed, We have a September sailing from Rome  and I believe it's 99.9% of it not sailing with us on it.

For one that country doesn't want us over there, and # 2.....even if we would go how can it be nothing but bad walking around that country trying to tour things.

Just waiting for them to cancel so we can lift and shift to 2022.

Guest BigRoger

Is Odyssey sailing to Barcelona as part of its itineraries? MSC have been sailing in vicinity of Italy and Greece are keen to have vaccinated tourists back ASAP...

We have a B2B sailing on the Rhapsody out of Italy on May 1.  We are hoping to hear something (anything....) from Royal by the first week in May if they will cancel the sailing or not.  We don't want to cancel the sailings ourselves because we lose the great rate we have.  If they cancel, we are hoping they will allow the modified L&S to the same sailing/same dates (plus/minus a week) for 2022. 

This not knowing how to plan is the worst part of what is happening right now.

We know Royal is having to assess what governments are doing and authorizing with travel but it doesn't make it any easier.

14 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Please post your source for this info.  We can't find anything stating Barcelona is closed for all of 2021

10 hours ago, keyboardjunkie said:

We have a B2B sailing on the Rhapsody out of Italy on May 1.  We are hoping to hear something (anything....) from Royal by the first week in May if they will cancel the sailing or not.  We don't want to cancel the sailings ourselves because we lose the great rate we have.  If they cancel, we are hoping they will allow the modified L&S to the same sailing/same dates (plus/minus a week) for 2022. 

This not knowing how to plan is the worst part of what is happening right now.

We know Royal is having to assess what governments are doing and authorizing with travel but it doesn't make it any easier.

I agree, the not knowing is the worst! We went through that for months last year with the November Allure transatlantic. Most people (including us) on our roll call had already purchased airfare. And many of them Lifted & Shifted to other sailings that were subsequently cancelled. It is not anyone's fault, but this whole thing has been such a mess. I don't think any of us thought it would go on for this long. 

I hope you get to keep your great rate going forward! 

21 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Can I ask where you got this information from? I live in Spain and have not seen any such announcement re Barcelona port being closed for the whole of 2021 and believe me I have been looking.

I have a cruise booked from Barcelona for 23rd May and don't expect it to sail but I would have thought that June or July would be able to start with EU Schengen residents only if they can get enough guests from that client base

Edited by SpainAlien
Clarification

We are also just waiting, due to sail on Odyssey on 21st May, flying to Rome from UK. International travel from UK is banned until 17th May at earliest, our flight is booked for 19th. Add to that Italy have banned UK travellers indefinitely. I am in no doubt we will not be going. We already shifted this cruise from last year on explorer .

3 hours ago, moshek said:

We are also just waiting, due to sail on Odyssey on 21st May, flying to Rome from UK. International travel from UK is banned until 17th May at earliest, our flight is booked for 19th. Add to that Italy have banned UK travellers indefinitely. I am in no doubt we will not be going. We already shifted this cruise from last year on explorer .

WE re booked the Explorer from Last yr as well, May 2020 to the Odyssey for same cruise May 21st 2021...this certainly gets tiring. We still havent booked our flight but looking into it, jic. 

Fingers crossed Gates and his entourage get tired of what they are doing to the world and things get back to a somewhat normal! 🤣

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ballwin Babe said:

Carnival has announced cancellation of cruises through May.  It's inevitable.  RCL, please make the announcement so we can get our funds back (we paid in full).  

Your crystal ball specializes in RCL?

7 hours ago, Ballwin Babe said:

Carnival has announced cancellation of cruises through May.  It's inevitable.  RCL, please make the announcement so we can get our funds back (we paid in full).  

All Odyssey cruises from Rome are cancelled.  New departure port is Haifa and only for Israelis so you will get your refund

On 2/27/2021 at 1:11 AM, Ballwin Babe said:

Not P & O then!  They are also holding off cancelling cruises they know full well cannot sail!  I feel the same as you - I don't trust them anymore 😞

56 minutes ago, Bobal said:

All Odyssey cruises from Rome are cancelled.  New departure port is Haifa and only for Israelis so you will get your refund

I am on the 9th May cruise - If have not heard this yet

9 hours ago, Ballwin Babe said:

So by waiting you received a great offer.  Much better than anything other cruise lines offered.

FCC

Refund

lift and shift 

C4136755-8273-4549-8306-ABF343A29B75.jpeg

• Like 1