European cruising this summer

madera1

I was just reading on another board that UK is hoping to relax COVID restrictions over the next 4 months. I am concerned that many countries are still currently closed for US tourists. I wonder if anyone has read anything more about plans being made to open borders for non essential travel? We have a Mediterranean cruise still booked on the Westerdam .

I would not be surprised if things do not open this summer, maybe later in the fall. We wanted to do Norway or the British Isles this summer which were cancelled last year. Instead we booked the Westerdam Athens - Venice Jul 2022 just to be on the save side.

Europe will probably open up by mid summer for Europeans with a Covid Vax Passport.  Will it open up to non Europeans, with or without a Covid Vax Passport is unlikely to happen before October.

This is just a personal view based on the various European news sources.  While Greece, Spain and others are pushing for the reopening of tourism, they know that most of their tourist numbers comes mostly from within Europe.

• Like 1

We have 2 cruises booked in September on Celebrity and HAL. I would say we are 50/50 at best for them happening, just my opinion. I know Spain has said they will not open up to foreign tourism until 70% of their population is vaccinated, which they hope happens by late summer. Some sources I have seen have said both Italy and Greece want to open up by the same time. The lack of tourism is taking a huge toll on these countries and their citizens want to reopen.

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

The lack of tourism is taking a huge toll on these countries and their citizens want to reopen.

Possibly they do, but I think it would be more accurate to say that it is tourism business that want to get reopened.  People want to travel.  Governments want to control infections.  

Please bear in mind that the lifestyle restrictions currently in effect in much of Europe will take many months to return to normal. This Third Wave is the most difficult because of the new variants and people being weary of restrictions.  In Ireland all non essential businesses are closed;  restaurants are open for take out only; Pubs, bars and clubs are closed;  we are only permitted to travel within 5kms (3miles) of home.  Many countries in Europe have curfews in place.

It will be a long slow process to reopen.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, iancal said:

Really...why on earth would a country like Greece want to 'control' people?  Tourism is the largest part of their economy.   Many, like Greece, are heavily in debt.  They need tourism desperately but unlike some other nations, they  are not prepared to trade lives for money.

Perhaps these Governments are basing their decisions on science and what is best for the health and welfare of their respective populations.

We were hoping to be able to get to southern Europe  on a land trip this fall but our hope is quickly fading.  Certainly not confident enough to make firm plans or reservations.   

I agree 100%, people are suffering from Covid as well as the financial challenges that have been left in the wake. It is only common sense that the Govt. of these countries want to open up ASAP. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HAL4NOW said:

How good are the delivery services in Cork? We have to travel more than 30 miles for basic needs.

Cork city is small.  We live 6.5kms from the city centre, but are in a rural area.  Deliveries within the city area are good.   We have 2 supermarkets within 4 kms of us, so are lucky that way.

You must remember that the scale of things over here is a lot smaller than North America.

Within 30 miles of us we would have at least 8 towns/villages.

That being said, the supermarkets do home delivery and there are the ubereats, Deliveroo, Just Eat etc who do restaurant deliveries.  As we are in a rural area we just drive in and collect.  Tonight was Cantonese and a bottle of Rioja.

@HAL4NOWI just googled your location.......now that is remote! 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

@HAL4NOWI just googled your location.......now that is remote! 

Skykomish is a town of about 200 people. We do have a few restaurants in town that are able to have indoor dining at 25% right now. We do pass through a few small towns on our way to shopping and doctors, etc. in Monroe, WA. Most of them have limited or no services.

Our second home is in Westport, WA, so we are traveling about 190 miles each week, one way, to go and enjoy a couple days at the coast. There are more services in that twon of about 2000. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, madera1 said:

I was just reading on another board that UK is hoping to relax COVID restrictions over the next 4 months. I am concerned that many countries are still currently closed for US tourists. I wonder if anyone has read anything more about plans being made to open borders for non essential travel? We have a Mediterranean cruise still booked on the Westerdam .

I also think that the specific cruise line will also play into who sails in Europe this year . 

Unfortunately I'm also booked on the Westerdam in October, and IMO HAL is being completely disingenuous with their future bookings and schedules, as an example the Westerdam is currently on the westcoast of Cailfornia enrolled in the CDC "return to sailing framework", yet by HAL's future itineraries on sale, and still being sold the Westerdam is do to sail exactly ONE day in the USA for the next year on November 13th 2021 after her transatlantic  (btw after the Nov 1st expiration of the "RTS" framework) and before she sails for South America on the same day for 5 additional months .. Why the USA "RTS" framework (???) . Also the Eurodam and Oosterdam have remained in Europe and never entered the USA to enroll in the "RTS" framework even though they were scheduled, and deposits cashed by HAL for their Alaska season long before the Canadian ban. The Neiuw Statendam which is scheduled to sail in Europe this entire summer has arrived in FLL and enrolled in the "ROS" framework which again would already be expired when it was scheduled to return from Europe in November.. Why the USA "RTS" framework (???)...  So IMO it's one thing when the virus was, and is dictating the schedules and cancellations, it's another thing all together when HAL never intended to honor their promised and sold schedules from the very begining.... Hope I'm wrong

On the other hand Princess, Cunard, MSC ,and several other cruise line's seem poised to return to their published scheduled service in Europe as ALL their scheduled ships have remained in Europe and are stationed to return service when authorized and ready.

Time will tell us alot in the coming months about HAL and their ethic's 

YMMV

Edited by srpilo

4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Possibly they do, but I think it would be more accurate to say that it is tourism business that want to get reopened.  People want to travel.  Governments want to control infections.  

Please bear in mind that the lifestyle restrictions currently in effect in much of Europe will take many months to return to normal. This Third Wave is the most difficult because of the new variants and people being weary of restrictions.  In Ireland all non essential businesses are closed;  restaurants are open for take out only; Pubs, bars and clubs are closed;  we are only permitted to travel within 5kms (3miles) of home.  Many countries in Europe have curfews in place.

It will be a long slow process to reopen.

Would you be allowed to travel further than that to get your Covid vaccinations? (We need to travel about 14 miles to get ours.)

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Would you be allowed to travel further than that to get your Covid vaccinations? (We need to travel about 14 miles to get ours.)

No problem travelling for medical reasons.  We had been travelling everyday during a period in January and February as DW was undergoing treatment for cancer.

For our Covid shots, these will either be given at a centre which has been set up at the city hall or else will be given by our local GP (family doctor).  We expect it will be April before we get 'shot'.

We were booked on the Westerdam in August, but last week we moved to an August 2022 sailing - Venice round trip.  Just getting too late in the year for us to feel reasonably certain cruises would be a Go. Also - vaccine roll out is sluggish in the US - no guarantees at this point that we'd be all vax'd up and ready to go.  We are still booked in the So. Caribbean in December 2021 - fingers crossed that will still go.

I read earlier today that Croatia is opening up Ports to Cruise Ships.  The new RCL Ship will be running some Cruises to Greece from Israel for Israeli  Residents only.  

The other day Seth had a VP on who stated Costa is starting up 7 Nite Cruises and Carnival Corp is also  looking at having some Cruises from the UK for UK Residents only.  Hopefully, all will be successful and more will be starting up!

@srpilo I have held the view for some time that the remainder of the 2021 through summer 2022 seasons (through the end of the European and Alaska sailings in 2022 of both Westerdam and Oosterdam) will see the two vessels swapped. The recently published fall 2002-spring 2023 sailings of these ships supports this theory. In reality it’s irreleavant which ship operates which itinerary between these two vessels as they are nearly identical in layout and amenities as well as # of cabins/suites and the numbering thereof.   

As far as other ships and their current locations. It’s unclear as to why they are where they are other than it could have to do with maintaining USCG certification aside from any CDC RTS requirements. The startup will be phased and I’ll be surprised if half the HAL fleet is back in operation by this fall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

P&O has just announced major changes to their summer European schedule. All European Mediterranean sailings have been cancelled. They are being replaced by a series of close to home - British destination cruises.

• Like 2