current mailer gives a hint on when ships may sail in 2021

susiesan

I received a brochure in the mail this week, Timeless Gems. This is what I see for cruises being actively advertised, the first sailings after resumption:

Sept. 15, 2021 Sirena Baltic from Stockholm

Sept. 8, 2021 Marina Baltic from Stockholm

Sept. 15, 2021 Riviera from Venice

After a few European cruises all 3 ships head across the Atlantic and sail in the Caribbean in the winter.

The brochure says major price reductions but I don't see them. Prices are the same as they have been. The page with the description of all the new enhanced health, wellness, and safety protocols says nothing about limited shore excursions to only from the ship.

This may be what Oceania is planning but will likely not happen. Unless People from North America are allowed into Europe to board these cruises, which they aren't now  and likely won't be by September, these cruises won't happen.

4 hours ago, susiesan said:

I received a brochure in the mail this week, Timeless Gems. This is what I see for cruises being actively advertised, the first sailings after resumption:

Sept. 15, 2021 Sirena Baltic from Stockholm

Sept. 8, 2021 Marina Baltic from Stockholm

Sept. 15, 2021 Riviera from Venice

After a few European cruises all 3 ships head across the Atlantic and sail in the Caribbean in the winter.

The brochure says major price reductions but I don't see them. Prices are the same as they have been. The page with the description of all the new enhanced health, wellness, and safety protocols says nothing about limited shore excursions to only from the ship.

This may be what Oceania is planning but will likely not happen. Unless People from North America are allowed into Europe to board these cruises, which they aren't now  and likely won't be by September, these cruises won't happen.

Sure do agree with you.   Maybe cruises from Miami to Miami by the end of the year but I would not count on that either.

The first cruise from Miami is Sirena Oct. 30 to Barbados.

There is a Miami-Miami on Riviera Dec. 3 and a Miami-Miami on Sirena Dec. 12

Marina leaves Miami Dec. 1 for South America.

I think Oceania is being overly optimistic that the CDC will lighten up and loosen restrictions on cruises. And there is still the testing requirement for returning to the US which is a separate issue of whether or not vaccinations will be required.

Edited by susiesan

I have zero faith in our CDC doing anything reasonable, nor should the cruise lines plan on them doing so. I’m still predicting that the 22 ATW will launch from a non US port.

Everyone is still awaiting the EU’s decision on when and how they will reopen. Supposedly, per reports, we should know by 4/1. Early rumors are projecting a 6/15-7/1 date. Wait and See.

Israel leads the world on its vaccination rate. The UAE is next behind and will be fully vaccinated by summer, well before the World’s Fair. Turkey, using the Chinese vaccine, is well ahead of Europe and making very good progress. Those late, 4th Qtr, cruises in that region has an excellent chance of going if current progress continue.

Australia now expects to have its entire population vaccinated by October. NZ appears to be closely behind them. Fully vaccinated cruisers should reasonably expect that their December 21 forward cruises should go in the South Pacific.

Argentina and Chile currently look hopeful for the 21-22 cruise season. Brazil is still to early to tell and may create a gap in the schedule . If necessary, the Marina can by pass Miami and begin its Southern Hemisphere/ SA cruises elsewhere .

China and Japan are currently projecting being open by next Spring. India and the Philippines are already receiving the Chinese vaccines and progress has begun. Don’t be surprised if cruise ship crews, from those countries, are classified as essential workers so to receive their vaccinations and go off to send money home. Cruise line generosity may go a long way. 😉

Way to early to call any thing for Southern Africa, east or west coast. Those cruises are definitely endangered for 21-22 season. Thailand, Vietnam, will be wait and see for cruises there a year from now.

There is definitely hope on the horizon for some parts of the world. We know Canada is a scratch already. Start ups will be slow but steady. We have parts of the world ready to welcome vaccinated tourists and cruises back with open arms as their populations are vaccinated. The richer the country, USA, Canada, and parts of Europe the slower to open.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I have zero faith in our CDC doing anything reasonable, nor should the cruise lines plan on them doing so. I’m still predicting that the 22 ATW will launch from a non US port.

Everyone is still awaiting the EU’s decision on when and how they will reopen. Supposedly, per reports, we should know by 4/1. Early rumors are projecting a 6/15-7/1 date. Wait and See.

Israel leads the world on its vaccination rate. The UAE is next behind and will be fully vaccinated by summer, well before the World’s Fair. Turkey, using the Chinese vaccine, is well ahead of Europe and making very good progress. Those late, 4th Qtr, cruises in that region has an excellent chance of going if current progress continue.

Australia now expects to have its entire population vaccinated by October. NZ appears to be closely behind them. Fully vaccinated cruisers should reasonably expect that their December 21 forward cruises should go in the South Pacific.

Argentina and Chile currently look hopeful for the 21-22 cruise season. Brazil is still to early to tell and may create a gap in the schedule . If necessary, the Marina can by pass Miami and begin its Southern Hemisphere/ SA cruises elsewhere .

China and Japan are currently projecting being open by next Spring. India and the Philippines are already receiving the Chinese vaccines and progress has begun. Don’t be surprised if cruise ship crews, from those countries, are classified as essential workers so to receive their vaccinations and go off to send money home. Cruise line generosity may go a long way. 😉

Way to early to call any thing for Southern Africa, east or west coast. Those cruises are definitely endangered for 21-22 season. Thailand, Vietnam, will be wait and see for cruises there a year from now.

There is definitely hope on the horizon for some parts of the world. We know Canada is a scratch already. Start ups will be slow but steady. We have parts of the world ready to welcome vaccinated tourists and cruises back with open arms as their populations are vaccinated. The richer the country, USA, Canada, and parts of Europe the slower to open.

Good analysis. We are vaccinated and have flown U. S. transcontental (with masks, obviously)to visit close family. After that trip we have decided we will not vacation on a cruise or otherwise while wearing a mask. Just no fun. I am afraid it will be at least late 2022 until travel mask mandates end. Will see how it goes but likely will be canceling some great 2022 itineraries we have booked.

Edited by edgee

While it is possible, Del Rio chair of NCL, has said 90 days minimum to start after CDC releases rules for trail test sailing, and after passing, only one ship per week for their 27 ships.  If CDC releases their rules tomorrow March 1, 2021, the first ship sail date would be June 1st.  For all ships to be Sailing would be December 7th.  Oceania is part of NCL. I speculate Oceania ships being smaller, will not be any where near the front of the line to be back in service. 

8 minutes ago, GICNJC said:

While it is possible, Del Rio chair of NCL, has said 90 days minimum to start after CDC releases rules for trail test sailing, and after passing, only one ship per week for their 27 ships.  If CDC releases their rules tomorrow March 1, 2021, the first ship sail date would be June 1st.  For all ships to be Sailing would be December 7th.  Oceania is part of NCL. I speculate Oceania ships being smaller, will not be any where near the front of the line to be back in service. 

Cruise lines will restart ships in those areas of the world as soon as they are allowed. 

Doesn’t matter size or line, if they’re scheduled for Alaska or Canadian waters they’re going nowhere until that ship m’s scheduled to be somewhere it can sail.

For example, the restart of the Nautica has nothing to do with the CDC. It’ll start sailing when  it’s scheduled host countries allow.

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I have zero faith in our CDC doing anything reasonable, nor should the cruise lines plan on them doing so.

My definition of "reasonable" aligns with the CDC. We have always been conservative, sometimes way too conservative but it is how they do things. Considering the size of the USA and the population I'd far prefer that they be too conservative.

4 hours ago, edgee said:

After that trip we have decided we will not vacation on a cruise or otherwise while wearing a mask.

We've been wearing masks and social distancing and doing indoor and outdoor dining for a long time. No big deal.

6 minutes ago, clo said:

We've been wearing masks and social distancing and doing indoor and outdoor dining for a long time. No big deal.

Dining out is not the issue because you normally do not where a mask while actually dining. Respect your opinion, however. To each his or her own. Not arguing the science...but comfort wise it is a big issue for us. 7 hours  masked seated in a 767 sealed the deal. Do not want to have to wear a mask constantly while on vacation. Not fun. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, edgee said:

Dining out is not the issue because you normally do not where a mask while actually dining. Respect your opinion, however. To each his or her own. Not arguing the science...but comfort wise it is a big issue for us. 7 hours  masked seated in a 767 sealed the deal. Do not want to have to wear a mask constantly while on vacation. Not fun. 

I've wondered how I'll feel after something like that. But more like ten hours 😞

"Everyone is still awaiting the EU’s decision on when and how they will reopen. Supposedly, per reports, we should know by 4/1. Early rumors are projecting a 6/15-7/1 date. Wait and See."

I am hopeful for the 6-15 date since I have a Norwegian Fjords cruise booked for 6-25!

Donna

14 hours ago, edgee said:

No way we would do it  Weeks on a cruise with a mask on all the time.  Agree no fun at all.

• Like 1

We are booked on Nautica from Dubai to Rome on June 6th this year. Same cruise thay we were cancelled on in May 2020. Now showing it is sailing, but all categories are now shown  as Wait List.The following cruise on Nautica, Rome to Athens also hasnt been cancelled and also shows Wait List for all cabins. Do you think it will be sailing? Probably will cancel even if it is.

13 minutes ago, rogfam said:

We are booked on Nautica from Dubai to Rome on June 6th this year. Same cruise thay we were cancelled on in May 2020. Now showing it is sailing, but all categories are now shown  as Wait List.The following cruise on Nautica, Rome to Athens also hasnt been cancelled and also shows Wait List for all cabins. Do you think it will be sailing? Probably will cancel even if it is.

NCL, Oceania and Regent announced the cancellation of May cruises in mid-February.

If they still follow the same pattern of one month each time, we will probably hear some updates about June cruises in the week of 15th March.

2 hours ago, rogfam said:

Nautica is currently docked in Sardinia.

Oceania wouldn't spend money for double Suez transit just for one cruise.

As others have said, it wouldn't be sailing anyway.

3 hours ago, rogfam said:

Unfortunately there is no way your June cruise will sail.  Europe and the UK remain under heavy covid restrictions which will continue for a few months yet.  When you factor in international flights reopening , passenger and crew vaccinations, ports willing to open up to cruise lines etc,  my personal view is that we will be very late into 2021 before we see the resumption of cruising in any significant volume.

We are due to sail on Regatta in September out of LA (pushed back from 2020).   For the same reasons in Europe I doubt very much this will happen but will have to see how things unfold.

Regards

Thanking everyone for the quick response. Completely agree that it won’t be sailing, but wanted to hear others point of view.

Was on a TA from Rome to Fort Lauderdale for this upcoming Oct on Celebrity and that was cancelled last month. Gather they aren’t planning a presence in Europe this summer.

For the seasonal stuff, one wonders how much of the season has to be able to sail to make it worthwhile.

For instance, just suppose Canada West Coast said "OK" from Sept 1. Would the larger ships bother doing what's effectively a month in AK-themed cruises, or say 'a month is not enough'. Is two months enough etc. 

NYC-Montreal "works" because most of those ships sail the Med in the summer and the Caribbean from November, so they find NYC--Montreal convenient inbetween (Sept-Oct). Similarly, if that opened up just for Oct, I doubt many ships would sail it.

Is the Southern Ocean expedition season on, if they can't get the full four months?

Just checked on their website and all ships/all cruises through August 2021have  "Wait List" for all cats. Tells me that they aren't taking any new reservations and will probably cancel them. That's what they did with my  PPT-SFO cruise for this April before it was cancelled.