Employee Wages

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

AMEN

Many years ago, when I was a lot younger,  I worked about 80 days in a row, working between 8-16 hours a day. The big difference I got paid for it. Time and one half for over forty hours and double time for Sundays and holidays. 

8 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Many years ago, when I was a lot younger,  I worked about 80 days in a row, working between 8-16 hours a day. The big difference I got paid for it. Time and one half for over forty hours and double time for Sundays and holidays. 

But even at that, we’re you making 10 times more than your contemporaries? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

They don't work 7 days a week. Over the years I have been on excursions with crew members.

Typically, they do.  They are allowed to schedule, with their supervisors consent, one day a month off with pay.  Some of those you see ashore are "split shift" workers, like cabin stewards who work the morning, and then have off until the evening, and they get to go ashore on this off time.  So, you may see them on an excursion, but they may still be working that day.  Many crew do not work split shifts, they are "day workers" (0600 - 1900), most notably the deck and engine crew, and they do not get a chance to get ashore for months at a time, if the work schedule does not allow it.  And, the one day a month off is relatively new.

• Like 3

First the bad news--

I think the cruise lines will increase gratuities dramatically when cruising restarts, in order to make up for the 18 months lost income of the tipping staff.

So be prepared to shell out a lot more for gratuities.

Then the good news or should I say great news--

they will also need to sell almost all the cabins to ensure that the ship is full, so that the tipping staff get their full gratuities.

All this implies last minute price drops to fill the last remaining cabins, to ensure a full salary for the tipping staff.

Edited by drsel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, drsel said:

I think the cruise lines will increase gratuities dramatically when cruising restarts, in order to make up for the 18 months lost income of the tipping staff.

they will also need to sell almost all the cabins to ensure that the ship is full, so that the tipping staff get their full gratuities.

All this implies last minute price drops to fill the last remaining cabins, to ensure a full salary for the tipping staff.

To be blunt, the cruise lines could care less about the "lost income" of contract workers (all crew below mid-level supervisors) who don't get paid in their time off anyway.

When the ships start up, it will be at reduced capacity, with commensurately reduced crewing, so I doubt this will make an impact.  And, since the line only needs to guarantee the minimum, not the "normal" wage, I don't see them increasing DSC by a large amount. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And, since the line only needs to guarantee the minimum, not the "normal" wage, I don't see them increasing DSC by a large amount. 

but which bartender (who is used to averaging 4000 USD a month) will work for the basic pay of 641 USD a month?

Edited by drsel

1 hour ago, drsel said:

but which bartender (who is used to averaging 4000 USD a month) will work for the basic pay of 641 USD a month?

The bartender who hasn't been out of work accepting the terms and signing the new contract. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drsel said:

One who has signed on knowing his/her pay could fluctuate due to circumstances out of his/her control, and once it actually happens, he/she has the option of quitting.  And, the bar staff are not part of the DSC pool, they get the bar gratuities instead, which are less often disputed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Typically, they do.  They are allowed to schedule, with their supervisors consent, one day a month off with pay.  Some of those you see ashore are "split shift" workers, like cabin stewards who work the morning, and then have off until the evening, and they get to go ashore on this off time.  So, you may see them on an excursion, but they may still be working that day.  Many crew do not work split shifts, they are "day workers" (0600 - 1900), most notably the deck and engine crew, and they do not get a chance to get ashore for months at a time, if the work schedule does not allow it.  And, the one day a month off is relatively new.

We had our headwaiter on an excursion a couple of years ago.  We talked to him for a while as it was on a sail to the Pitons so we had plenty of time to talk.  He said they send staff on excursions for free to monitor and report back on a regular basis.  So, that's why he was with us.  He was basically "working" but got to enjoy the sail excursion.  

And of course when you look around in port, there are always crew hanging out near the port using free wifi, eating, relaxing, walking into town, etc. 

• Like 1

Just now, drsel said:

What do they have to monitor and report back?

They're basically making sure the excursion is as advertised and is run properly, etc.  I assume they report back to the excursion staff.  I thought that was pretty much self-explanatory.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/3/2021 at 7:13 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I was on a cruise once where a Cabin Steward was the son of the CEO of a cruise line.His father wanted him to explore real work as the Steward said.

I wonder if he was paid a Steward wage ?

He said he was but I tend to doubt it.

22 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

He said he was but I tend to doubt it.

Why doubt it?  A lot of wealthy families make their kids work, not all, but a lot do.  It's middle class and upper middle class that seem to have more of an issue with their kids getting their hands dirty.

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Should be ...who "has" been...🙄

Don't be so lax with your nitpicking. 

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

To be blunt, the cruise lines could care less about the "lost income" of contract workers (all crew below mid-level supervisors) who don't get paid in their time off anyway.

Should be... could  NOT  care less.

Only nitpicking the nitpicker.

Chengkp75 is awesome with his wealth of knowledge.. 

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

That's OK Lenny, as opinions and WAGs are common here on CC.  

WAGS as in Wives and GF"s of high profile athletes?   That's the only slang meaning I can find.  Otherwise as a military term it's Wild A** Guess.  But, it works both ways 🙂

Edited by BND

4 hours ago, drsel said:

First the bad news--

So be prepared to shell out a lot more for gratuities.

Then the good news or should I say great news--

Absolute nonsense on both counts. 

One of the last things a company would do when trying to re-emerge from a long layoff and entice customers would be to increase the gratuity (which could be just removed) 

“Sell almost all cabins”? Are you serious? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BND said:

WAGS as in Wives and GF"s of high profile athletes?   That's the only slang meaning I can find.  Otherwise as a military term it's Wild A** Guess.  But, it works both ways 🙂

This is the only acronym that applies.  🙂

39 minutes ago, davekathy said:

This is the only acronym that applies.  🙂

It applies on all discussion boards.  I'm always amazed that other posters are surprised by this.  Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it.