Jeepers! Do I want to lay down $1500 on 2023 cruise?

Petoonya

1 hour ago, Norseh2o said:

Like pinotlover, I have booked 3 (Oceania) and 1 HAL for the next year.  The HAL is a rebooking for a covid cancelled cruise.  I expect that if the Oceania July, 2021 is a no-go, my travel advisor will move the money to another Oceania trip. Ever hopeful.

You may have to advise  them what cruise you want the deposit moved to

When they cancel your cruise  they usually send a letter  to give you the options  just like what is on the website for the  current cancellations

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/coronavirus-statement

Our cruise history was exclusively Norwegian until we traveled HAL to Hawaii from San Diego.  We liked HAL and right away scheduled another cruise (cancelled due to the pandemic).  While we are happy to depart on HAL ships from San Diego, don't like to compare cruise lines. Our last 2 cruises were on Oceania at the end of 2019, small ships, delightful travelers!  We will continue to cruise with Oceania as often as possible.  Thanks for the link about deposit moving on Oceania. Hopeful that the money can move to future O cruises.

Not sure  if I’ve seen all the posts in this thread, but we did put down 3K each to Oceania to be waitlisted for ATW in 2023 on Oceania through my TA.  I confirmed that the payment was indeed processed by Oceania.   

@Aloha 1

Dr. Marietta Vasquez from Yale School of Medicine says it best:

We can better prevent the spread of COVID-19 and protect those who may have it when we speak about it with accuracy, empathy, and care — something we should all be committed to.

Also in Hawaiian "Aloha" means love and fellowship.

• Like 5

For what it is worth ...... I have had numerous cruises canceled and still have three pending: the farthest out is January 2022. I have been so tempted to to add to cruises past this date (especially as the new itineraries and dates have been opening up).  I have so far resisted the temptation .. why?

Not knowing the future cruise protocols is the primary reason. Many of the new protocols would make cruising (IMHO) a much less enjoyable experience. I would rather pay more in the future for a cruise I know I would enjoy than gamble on 1. the new protocols and 2. who knows maybe the future fares will be lower. In any event .... I am taking a wait and see position.

e

20 hours ago, madera1 said:

Just wondering if you have previously sailed on both Hal and a Oceania? We have sailed on many Hal and have recently put deposits down on a 2022 and2023 Oceania. Wonder how you compare the two?

Been on both lines, HAL sold all their smaller ships so no longer being considered.  Also HAL is not up to Oceania standards in too many ways to enumerate.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, madera1 said:

Just wondering if you have previously sailed on both Hal and a Oceania? We have sailed on many Hal and have recently put deposits down on a 2022 and2023 Oceania. Wonder how you compare the two?

Sailed on HAL quite a bit but mostly several years ago.  We prefer the small ship and amenities on Oceania....you get what you pay for

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jhbertram said:

Just got confirmed on the 2023 ATW cruise we were waitlisted for.   Now to plunk down the 20% required.

Here's the link to the roll call @Jhbertram ... join us there.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2770541-december-28-2022-atw-2023-mia-sf-sf-sf-and-all-other-versions-segments/

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, 1985rz1 said:

You mean the Kansas Flu?  🙂 That is the most accepted origin of the great flu of 1918.

Or Marburg virus, legionnaires disease, etc. The specious attempts at correlation are becoming hard to take. 

• Like 1

Getting back to the op's question, DW and I just booked a 2023 cruise on the Nautica (Middle East - Dubai to Istanbul). We were told we could change our minds and get a full refund up to the end of 2022, which is why we were confident enough to book it.

This is our first Oceania cruise. We originally booked an inside suite, and then rebooked and took the least expensive balcony suite. We've done Carnival, Celebrity and Princess. This isn't an intentional "working our way up"; rather, we pick cruises by itineraries and this one is going where we want to go. 

Any wisdom people care to share about what we should know about Oceania is welcome.

• Like 1

Hey, Petoonya,

We were booked with you on last April’s Papeete to SF cruise. It was to be our first Oceania splurge. It was the first of 7 cruises cancelled for us, including the 2021 WC on Princess. 

I just put $1500 down on the 2023 Oranjested to Lisbon Transatlantic on Sirena in March 2023.  Even splurged on a balcony (we generally book interiors). 

I served 10 years on the Orlando Convention and Visitors Bureau and learned a lot about the psychology of travel, among other things. I have been following various hospitality, tourist and cruise industry threads/webinars and there is no doubt that when travel opens up, the pent-up demand will be huge.  Which always leads to higher prices. It has already happened in Hawaii (where we are now).  The bargain beach condo we booked 8 months ago now rents for 50% more!   

SOOOO. . .I figure my retirement savings can sit in my cash “bucket” or serve as deposit anchors/guarantees on future travel experiences. All our cancelled cruises were refunded as 125% FCC, a great return on our deposit investment!  (When our WC was cancelled in Australia before it was cancelled in the US, I quickly made another payment  and made $1000 in additional FCC in a day!). Only my Carnival stock has done better😍😍

We now have deposits on 5 cruises, including a WC, and 6 apartments in 6 different countries through April of 2023!  Oh and several flights booked at bargain prices as well. Refund policies are still generous. Availability for popular destinations is dwindling. And prices are only going up And I love to dream and plan. This international nomad thing is fun, even with COVID.  

Live your life.  Live your life!  

On 3/19/2021 at 12:52 PM, 1985rz1 said:

You mean the Kansas Flu?  🙂 That is the most accepted origin of the great flu of 1918.

No, thats was where the first US cases happened from soldiers coming back from WW1.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

No, thats was where the first US cases happened from soldiers coming back from WW1.

I'll have to disagree.  The historian, John M. Barry, in his book, "The Great Influenza," traces the origin of the 1918 pandemic to Kansas in January or early February of 2018, with the first major outbreak at Camp Funston, apparently from  Haskell County, based on the timing.

While, as Barry says, "no one will know with absolute certainty,"   Nobel Laureate Frank Macfarlane Burnet, who lived through the pandemic and spent  his life studying influenzas, concluded that it started in the United States and it spread with the arrival of American troops in Europe.  The transmission from folks in Haskell to Camp Funston supports this assertion.

It's a very good book, if somewhat dense and often tedious, so you might want to read it to see if it changes your mind.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

Very much looking forward to this cruise.  Our last Oceania Cruise was 21 day Panama Canal on the Regatta that had just come out of dry dock.  Meet many interesting and friendly people but especially two couples who were very experienced travelers in their 80s.  They taught us what we might be able to do when we retire.  Now that we are retired, can’t wait to see how well we learned from them.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

4 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

I'll have to disagree.  The historian, John M. Barry, in his book, "The Great Influenza," traces the origin of the 1918 pandemic to Kansas in January or early February of 2018, with the first major outbreak at Camp Funston, apparently from  Haskell County, based on the timing.

While, as Barry says, "no one will know with absolute certainty,"   Nobel Laureate Frank Macfarlane Burnet, who lived through the pandemic and spent  his life studying influenzas, concluded that it started in the United States and it spread with the arrival of American troops in Europe.  The transmission from folks in Haskell to Camp Funston supports this assertion.

It's a very good book, if somewhat dense and often tedious, so you might want to read it to see if it changes your mind.

Of course I meant January or early February 1918. Chalk it up to fat fingers :classic_rolleyes:

And I forgot to put this time frame in context of when the first American troops were sent to Europe for WW I:  June, 1918.

On 3/3/2021 at 3:21 PM, Petoonya said:

This isn't scientific by any means but wonder if I could take a straw poll to see if you would do it or not.

18 day exotic. The trick is that we are penny pinchers. We go with a Cat G and sometimes get upgraded, sometimes not. (I never count on it. I expect a G inside.)

Very few Gs as you know and they go quickly. Infact with my booking they're gone. It's not like I can wait awhile and see how things go. We aren't capable of waiting for a year or so and bump up to a higher category then. We just wouldn't be able to go.

I always get insurance and even if this cruise doesn't pan out I can transfer insurance once to another cruise. But this far away even laying out the $ for insurance is uncomfortable. I've never counted on my credit card for insurance or default, but mine does cover them. Relying on that concerns me too.

Am I dumb as a stump to even consider putting down $1500 for a cruise that far off? Over TWO years in the future.

We normally do the same as you. We start with an inside & take the upgrade that bumps us into a B-1. The upgrade will NOT be free. You need to price out the upgrade. If it's decently cheaper than the room would be normally, we take it. This year we chose a ocean view.(2022 cruise) Same size as a balcony but just minus the balcony. I hate saying it, but penny pinching on a cruise just isn't the way to go. If you really can't afford by saving for 2 years, perhaps you need to look at a more inexpensive line or maybe a shorter(perhaps 10 night)cruise. I find cost cutting  on other lines works well, but not on Oceania.

2 hours ago, rbtan said:

We normally do the same as you. We start with an inside & take the upgrade that bumps us into a B-1. The upgrade will NOT be free. You need to price out the upgrade. If it's decently cheaper than the room would be normally, we take it. This year we chose a ocean view.(2022 cruise) Same size as a balcony but just minus the balcony. I hate saying it, but penny pinching on a cruise just isn't the way to go. If you really can't afford by saving for 2 years, perhaps you need to look at a more inexpensive line or maybe a shorter(perhaps 10 night)cruise. I find cost cutting  on other lines works well, but not on Oceania.

You have a much different experience.We were cruising twice a year prior to COVID. "Pennypinching" may not work for you but it works just fine for me.And no I don't need to use a less expensive line. I've been cruising O for over 15 years and Windstar for close to 30 years. Please save your condescension for another venue.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1