How noisy is a connecting room?

FolsomMike

We have only once and decided never again.  It was on a HAL ship, so there could be a difference.  Seems like the connecting doors just presented an increased opportunity for noise transmission.  We could hear the people in the adjacent room talking, their TV, coughs, sneezes, etc.  It was all audible near the door.

A few more cabins we don't book: under a pool deck, under a gym,  above a nightclub or lounge, across the corridor from a blank wall (had a scullery across the hall when we did) near a guest laundry, near elevators, and cabins with Pullman bunks.   In short, passengers above, below, and across the corridor.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

If the TV is close by the door and the guests next door decide they need to watch the news from 6am every morning, yes it can be noisy.....

We booked a guarantee, so lesson learned. I wouldn’t again by choice...

We have had the “pleasure” on Regatta in a  Vista Suite. The neighbor insisted making daily phone calls every morning and evening but neglected to use the phone. We were able to hear every word from 15 feet away in the living room. Not pleasant!

They left the ship after the first segment after which we had pretty quiet neighbors.👍

It’s a matter of luck.

I’ve found them slightly more noisy than other cabins, but not majorly so. We’ve found that noise is more dependent upon who your neighbors are than the cabin you’re in. 

If your neighbor is hard of hearing and watches movies on his tv, until 2:00 ( or all night) in the morning, it doesn’t matter what cabin one is end. Same with the guy that “ was up every morning at 4:30 and can’t sleep past then” and turns on his tv, often loudly. 

I never realized, until a few years back, people go on cruises to sit in their cabins and watch movies.  Some show up with 50+ movies to watch, along with special speakers that will attach to the tv for more sound effects. That’s a neighbor to have! 🤬

Totally luck of the draw. Cabins I won’t book? Starboard side, midway under the Terrace through Waves. Those are assured of rolling food carts and cruisers that drag chairs across the floor starting very early.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with what's been said by others: avoid connecting rooms at all costs! And not just on cruise ships. when I check in to a hotel, I've learned to ask the front-desk person if the room they want to give me is a connecting one. If it is, I want a different one.

• Like 1

I would hope that some new ship designs would use the feature which Celebrity 'S' class have had for years.

Their connecting rooms have 2 sets of doors.

The normal entrance door, and a 2nd set of outer doors.

If used as a connecting room the inner doors are left unlocked and the outer doors are used.

If used as a normal room the outer doors are held permanently open immediately outside the normal individual doors.

No doors inside the cabin on the wall.

Good system.

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

We have only once and decided never again.  It was on a HAL ship, so there could be a difference.....

The only comparison of HAL with Oceania is that their ships float.

O’s cabin soundproofing is about as good as one can expect.

• Haha 1

even without connecting doors  we can sometimes hear the neighbours 

love those ones that need the TV up full volume  & slam the drawers

I would avoid connecting rooms if possible

JMO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

I would hope that some new ship designs would use the feature which Celebrity 'S' class have had for years.

Their connecting rooms have 2 sets of doors.

The normal entrance door, and a 2nd set of outer doors.

If used as a connecting room the inner doors are left unlocked and the outer doors are used.

If used as a normal room the outer doors are held permanently open immediately outside the normal individual doors.

No doors inside the cabin on the wall.

Good system.

But If I've read correctly Celebrity didn't use the same system on their new Edge class ships. Of course the design group that did the interiors had never cruised before. Go figure. 

36 minutes ago, ORV said:

But If I've read correctly Celebrity didn't use the same system on their new Edge class ships. Of course the design group that did the interiors had never cruised before. Go figure. 

The 'S' class was well designed.

I guess the double door system does use up some space which probably was a factor. I don't think internal cabin size was compromised though.

Hopefully, premium and luxury lines have been seeking an innovative solution in their new builds.

It is obviously a concern to many cruisers, especially on cruise lines where not many people need / desire connecting rooms.

Edited by Tranquility Base

On some ships, connecting cabins are terrible. Noise leaks through the door if it isn’t tight.  Oceania ships don’t have that problem. Stayed in 8027 on R ship.  It was quiet.  We were concerned before staying in that location. It is one deck below the pool deck.  On many ships being below the pool can be bad with people moving chairs above you.  On R ships, deck 8 doesn’t have noise problems.  Sirena cabins are well insulated for sound.  Never heard anything annoying while staying in that cabin. 

2 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

It is obviously a concern to many cruisers, especially on cruise lines where not many people need / desire connecting rooms.

I guess Oceania learned this lesson. I just looked at the deck plans to Riviera and then Regatta. There are more connecting rooms on one deck of Regatta than all of Riviera.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FolsomMike said:

Thanks for all the responses, folks. After reading all your comments, we decided to go with a different cruise line with more availability. 

Good decision.  Enjoy your cruise.

On our ATW we had a connecting room.  The couple next to our room screamed at each other every night!  I even called security on them once-only to find at they were actually on the phone talking to family, but since they had poor hearing they didn't know they were screaming.  

We always knew when they were on the phone, and they didn't care what time it was on the boat-they called home according to 'home time'. 

it took awhile to get used to that...I think I might still be able to hear them scream.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Like the OP,  we found that 8027 was the only available Concierge A1 on the cruise we'd been looking at. Unlike  the OP, we've booked it (in the knowledge that it's smaller than most other A1 cabins). Perhaps unfortunately, I've only just come across this thread.

On 3/6/2021 at 4:38 PM, ORV said:

I guess Oceania learned this lesson. I just looked at the deck plans to Riviera and then Regatta. There are more connecting rooms on one deck of Regatta than all of Riviera.

Have been in a bunch of PH on the R Ships and sometimes it is pretty bad.  Would not do it again,