Celebrity cancelled till end May

Stu UK

Hardly a surprise. Celebrity just sent an email cancelling Apex May 15 cruise. All sailings across the fleet suspended till 31st May. 

The better news here in the UK is the government have confirmed domestic cruises may start from 17th May so perhaps opportunity for UK residents to grab a break on P&O who will be launching a new programme. Guessing Cunard will too just calling at UK ports. 

https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/news/cruise/uk-domestic-cruises-given-may-17-green-light

• Like 1

Royal Caribbean has also announced all sailings cancelled through 5/31. They are offering FCC's at 125% - refunds - lift & shift options for following year (same port, same number of days, same cabin category within + / - 2 weeks of the original sailing).

4 minutes ago, Stu UK said:

Shame it appears there is no lift and shift option for Apex 15th May unless anyone else has found one. 

By my count there are 9 European sailings on either Edge or Apex that are plus/minus 4 weeks of May 15, 2022.  If you had an Apex May 15, 2021 European cruise cancelled I have to believe those are Lift & Shift options for you.  Plus they would undoubtedly approve (at the supervisor level) a downgrade to a European cruise on a non-Edge class ship that is plus/minus 4 weeks.  Maybe the Lift & Shift opportunities haven't been built into the system yet?  I suggest calling Celebrity.

Tom

1 hour ago, Sussex Cruiser said:

I think Celebrity are missing a trick here by not even seeming to be considering UK cruises. What a shame!

But how many cruises just going around the UK can the market take?  With Cunard, P&O and Princess all to my knowledge about to offer around UK cruises I would think it will look very close to saturation point quite quickly.  I think I read also that Hurtigruten and Viking Oceans were also considering round the UK voyages, but I'm not sure that's for this year.

Plus, a lot of us with cruises booked would have little interest in such a cruise, I know I wouldn't unless it were to have very attractive pricing and be sailing with vastly reduced passenger numbers.  

HAL has also canceled all Europe cruises through June 30th.  This, I am afraid, may not be the last of cruise cancelations. We have two booked in September. However HAL will let you rebook a similar cruise for 2022 at the same price as the canceled 2021 cruise.

Edited by terrydtx

We just made (purposefully) final payment on our June 13 Equinox cruise. Today DH got a lovely email from LLP personally welcoming us aboard - interesting timing, huh?! I think the email went out just prior to cancelling May.

My husband, who is an eternal optimist in opposition to my relentless pessimism, pointed out that through about 4 cancelled cruises, this is the first one that got us this sort of email - he chooses to be positive. Neither one of us think there is a snowballs chance of this going forward, but this is our 40th anniversary, so we are sticking it out to the bitter end (don’t know what we will do about airline reservations).

4 hours ago, Stu UK said:

Shame it appears there is no lift and shift option for Apex 15th May unless anyone else has found one. 

4 hours ago, TFree said:

By my count there are 9 European sailings on either Edge or Apex that are plus/minus 4 weeks of May 15, 2022.  If you had an Apex May 15, 2021 European cruise cancelled I have to believe those are Lift & Shift options for you. 

It is a shame that Apex's itineraries next year are quite different, mainly Fjord instead of Southern Europe.

I'll check the Edge instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Hoping Celebrity cancels through July 2021...My British Isles on Reflection. Concerned about an international flight and all the ports on this itinerary.

They probably will cancel it after you pay the full amount because... if you are not committed, you would rebook or for next year (no lift and shift) or cancel. If you are committed, they will hold on to your full amount for a year.

Edited by jmhlin

We are booked for the July 30th Reflection cruise! This is the same cruise as Ashland. Celebrity next years cruise to the British Isles leaves out Scotland! I doubt this year cruise will sail but will wait to see what happens! In order for Celebrity sailing the Netherlands and Great Britain must allow international cruising! Doubt it will happen!

1 minute ago, LJJQ said:

We are booked for the July 30th Reflection cruise! This is the same cruise as Ashland. Celebrity next years cruise to the British Isles leaves out Scotland! I doubt this year cruise will sail but will wait to see what happens! In order for Celebrity sailing the Netherlands and Great Britain must allow international cruising! Doubt it will happen!

Princess cancelled all 2021 cruises from Southampton. Unless Celebrity can do something really different, I don't think any international cruises can sail out from U.K. My July 2021 Baltic cruise will sail U.K to Norway, Denmark,  Sweden, Russia, Finland, Estonia, Germany. It is difficult to see how can Celebrity cruises work with all these countries and convinced them it is safe to let the people off the ship. One country is pretty obvious will say No from the above list. LOL

• Like 2

I wonder why Celebrity only cancel the Europe sailing of the Edge but not the Apex.  We're on June 26 Apex cruise and final payment is due March 28!  Should I wait or should I just cancel by March 27? I don't even think US citizen can fly to Spain now

35 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

quick google search would show you the VERY limited requirements in which US citizens can fly to Spain right now and boarding a cruise ship is not included.

Spain is extending the restrictions on entry for travellers from the UK via air and sea and from Brazil and South Africa by air until 6pm on 30th March 2021 in order to stop the spread of the new variants of covid 19, coronavirus. 
As before with travel from the United Kingdom, only flights or passenger ship containing nationals or residents of Spain or Andorra will be permitted entry.  
This information has been taken from the government website: http://*****/3vgUPjh

41 minutes ago, jmhlin said:

Princess cancelled all 2021 cruises from Southampton.

Where did you see this? We're booked on the Island Princess on their Northern Lights cruise which is a 14 day R/T Southampton cruise leaving on Oct 5th. However, we did recently hear all Princess cruises out of Southampton through Sep 25, 2021 have been cancelled.

Princess Cruises Pause Extension Southampton Cruises through September 25, 2021

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Where did you see this? We're booked on the Island Princess on their Northern Lights cruise which is a 14 day R/T Southampton cruise leaving on Oct 5th. However, we did recently hear all Princess cruises out of Southampton through Sep 25, 2021 have been cancelled.

Yes Ken, what you share is the latest on their website as of today

42 minutes ago, Sweatcruiser said:

I wonder why Celebrity only cancel the Europe sailing of the Edge but not the Apex.  We're on June 26 Apex cruise and final payment is due March 28!  Should I wait or should I just cancel by March 27? I don't even think US citizen can fly to Spain now

Unless you want to give Celebrity money to hold  for some months until you get a refund or you see a itinerary that you really want and lift and shift to then I would recommend you not make  final payment. 

Currently the ships cant leave the US until at least 6/1.  In order for your cruise to sail Celebrity would need to have the crew here and trained and the ship cleared to sail by 6/1.   Then the port you are departing from must be open to international travelers and open  to ships.     

20 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Yes Ken, what you share is the latest on their website as of today

LOL! Hey, by then vaccines will be flowing everywhere, the curves will have pretty much flatten, and life will be starting to get back to normal. Oh, did I mention I'm the eternal optimist. 🙃

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jmhlin said:

They probably will cancel it after you pay the full amount because... if you are not committed, you would rebook or for next year (no lift and shift) or cancel. If you are committed, they will hold on to your full amount for a year.

I won't pay final May 1st. way too much $$'s for my suite and business class air.

Their restrictions are too limited with their FCC to sail by date for me. I am heavily booked with RCI for all of 2022 and would only be able to book for 2023. Not happy with X at this point at all and am sorry after many years of RCI I tried to give X a 2nd chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Oops. it is a perfect example not to listen to any individual on the internet. I should not say Princess cancelled all 2021. Sorry for my mistake. At least, Princess cancelled until Sept 25 to give people more time to decide what to do with their book before final payment.

• Like 1