The Daily for Sunday Mar 14, 2021

richwmn

Good Morning from another warm and sunny day at the beach.

Finally a port I have been to! Twice! Both on HAL.  Did a landtour/cruise combo in 2001, then the 2 week on the Amsterdam in 2014. Loved them both! We had a crazy experience on the Tram in 2001.My DD is in a wheelchair, so they loaded us first for the trip down the mountain. Right after, the door closed and the tram dropped away from the platform! All I could think of was I had to figure out how to drive the thing!  After about 10 minutes ( seemed like forever) they were able to return the tram to the platform. I wanted off immediately and was going to walk down the mountain. They told us that with the wheelchair it would be impossible. So on we went again and had an uneventful ride down. One of the workers stayed with us talking to us the whole way.  After awhile we returned to the ship and the doctor came to see if we were OK!. I was amazed, we were of course fine . The tram sent us a gift basket. No more trams for me.

Stay safe and enjoy this day.

Charlene

• Like 20

I remembered something about our first cruise to Alaska in 2002.  We were out on the decks in Glacier Bay moving about the ship to get different views, when I looked down and saw a diamond tennis bracelet laying there.  I put it in my coat pocket and finished watching the glaciers.  A half hour later I went to Guest Services and dropped off the bracelet, giving my details.  Right in the middle of it all, another clerk was taking a call from a woman who was distraught over losing her mother's tennis bracelet.  It was passed down to her.  They had her describe it and it matched the one I brought in.  So she came down to retrieve it, and sent DH and I a bottle of champagne as thanks.  I always hope someone will be do the same if I would lose a piece of jewelry or a camera, etc.

In 2009 we did back to back Alaska cruises on Sapphire Princess.  That worked out very well since the first week the weather in Glacier Bay was so bad, and we had to turn around and leave to try to beat a huge storm in the Gulf of Alaska.  On the second segment of our cruise the weather in Glacier Bay was sunny, windless, and almost warm.  The photos turned out great!

We celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary on these cruises.enhance

In 2009 in Juneau we took a long walk around town, and even walked to see what the Governor's Mansion looked like.  enhance

enhance

enhance

After our tour about town, we boarded a local bus that took tourists out to Mendenhall Glacier since we hadn't seen it in 2002.  Since I've shown you the glacier already I'll pass on this trip.  But I did see this interesting shot of two Princess ships (Golden and Sapphire) backed up to each other later in the trip in Skagway.  You can see their Skywalkers Lounges so close together.  enhance

From our Skywalkers looking at the Golden's Skywalkers.

enhance

Lots of people say those lounges look like "shopping cart handles".  They certainly were unique!

• Like 27

Must be a male thing because I will readily admit to being a 'Morgenmuffel'.  I am delighted to know that there is a name for it.  I hope we can join a support group and we can all complain together. I hope the meetings are not too early in the morning though! 😉

Today is Mother's Day here and as I mentioned in yesterday's daily, Europe (including UK 😉) did Not move the clocks forward so the time difference is one hour less than yesterday.

Late last night we eventually managed to make contact with our youngest DS in Vancouver.  We normally have contact (Whatsapp etc) every couple of days, but hadn't heard from him since last Saturday.  Seems he injured himself snowboarding on Cypress Mountain last weekend and has a dislocated shoulder.  He didn't want to tell us about it incase it upset DW's recovery. Bless!

He has given up the painkillers as they were affecting his stomach, but he says that the pain is easing and he is able to sleep ok.

Enjoy your Sundays!

Best wishes from your friendly Irish Morgenmuffel 😁

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

GOOD MORNING ALL!! Happy Sunday.

To all my dear friends and to my “BELLA”

SISTERS!

Yesterday was a beautiful day of enjoying a accomplishment I have been doing off and on for awhile. Hope this puts a smile on your faces today! Just 

my rendition of Mama Hummingbird!

Denise😊

image.jpeg.8ab95129ef32650f4dc815b6331e02d6.jpeg

• Like 38

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I'm not big on potato chips; I prefer tortilla chips.

Also Pi day and Mother's Day in the UK.

Ah, finally a port I've been to, in 2009, from Vancouver.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask.

Arriving to the dock area.

351650200_0224-Juneaudockingarea.thumb.JPG.307bfbe2833e00af100c1270f3c716b6.JPG

They were celebrating 50 years of statehood.

648400239_0228-50yearsofstatehood.thumb.JPG.ebbc889a9e029572c6cb8cbd229b97dd.JPG

Being greeted by a moose on debarkation.

1636014505_0230-Moosegreeting.thumb.JPG.2e27f236015d041e1fc2dce1d1cb8757.JPG

Mendenhall glacier.

1047516056_0272-MendenhallGlacier.thumb.JPG.84be4e65b152321448da3a4cc3a5c6fb.JPG

We were supposed to do a helicopter ride and land on a glacier, but the weather was not good and it was too windy. So we went whale watching instead.

0302.thumb.JPG.b77f0a7c603ec0df05e4d4646f0a380b.JPG

• Like 21

We have done one cruise to Alaska with our son and family and several friends. We enjoyed it all and had wonderful weather the entire time. The captain said it was the only time he had been in Ketchikan on a sunny day.

No plans to return though as we have quite enough snow and ice for far too long right here. 🙄🙂

• Like 14

Only Juneau stop of three without rain and fogged in mountain.  

Alaska cruise on Princess with granddaughter 10, her brother 12 and just me will always be my very favorite.   Eight years later we still laugh and talk about how special it was. 
E53262CB-665D-4428-BBC3-BE94607E311D.thumb.png.f19c1aab6f9e625657f93d3884f4ddf7.png

Thanks prayers and cheers everyone!

• Like 20

11 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Must be a male thing because I will readily admit to being a 'Morgenmuffel'.  I am delighted to know that there is a name for it.  I hope we can join a support group and we can all complain together. I hope the meetings are not too early in the morning though! 😉

Today is Mother's Day here and as I mentioned in yesterday's daily, Europe (including UK 😉) did Not move the clocks forward so the time difference is one hour less than yesterday.

Late last night we eventually managed to make contact with our youngest DS in Vancouver.  We normally have contact (Whatsapp etc) every couple of days, but hadn't heard from him since last Saturday.  Seems he injured himself snowboarding on Cypress Mountain last weekend and has a dislocated shoulder.  He didn't want to tell us about it incase it upset DW's recovery. Bless!

He has given up the painkillers as they were affecting his stomach, but he says that the pain is easing and he is able to sleep ok.

Enjoy your Sundays!

Best wishes from your friendly Irish Morgenmuffel 😁

Good thoughts going out to your son and I hope he heals quickly.  Sweet of him not to want to upset Mom and you, but of course we always worry about our kids anyway!  And grandkids, and granddogs, and great grandkids, and on and on...

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

SISTERS!

Yesterday was a beautiful day of enjoying a accomplishment I have been doing off and on for awhile. Hope this puts a smile on your faces today! Just 

Denise😊

I love that!  So unusual, and pretty.  Lucky you to have this talent.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Kazu, for the tip with how to handle spindly plants.  I'll work on my seedlings later today after another cup of coffee. 

Been to Alaska several times, so been to Juneau several times.  Really enjoy the stops there.  The pictures remind me of the things I have enjoyed:  Mendenhall Glacier (felt like I was in a MASH episode watching the helicopters land), seaplane to Misty Fjord (I was scared getting out on the pontoon, but so glad I did it) and Mt Robert's Tramway (the only sunny day I've experienced in Juneau).

Someone asked me a couple of days ago if I am ready to travel again.  I've gotten my shots, paid quite a few deposits on trips, renewed my Global Entry pass, but just cannot get my mind ready to get on a plane, stay in a hotel and get on a cruise ship.  Am I the only one?

• Like 15

29 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

SISTERS!

Denise😊

Oh my gosh Denise!! I want her!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! I plan to give Potato Chip Day due attention this afternoon. Juneau is the first Daily port I’ve been to so far. I don’t have pics with me, but enjoyed the port both times we were there. The first time was on the Norwegian Sun, and we took a helicopter trip to Mendenhall Glacier. The second time was On a Westerdam transpacific with DS and BIL. We explored town and put in a fair bit of time at the Red Dawg Saloon. 
I’m happy to be back on the island, so for once I’m not a Morgenmuffel (what a delightful word!) about Daylight Savings. We arrived to find two casualties here: the most recent windstorm took out the huge old maple in the back yard. It had the grace to fall in the exact line that damaged absolutely nothing. There will be a lot of clean up, and firewood for a long time to come. Also, I fell victim to the appliance curse. Our small upright freezer died, I would guess 3 - 4 weeks ago, from the state of the contents. It was not pleasant. Since we don’t live here full time anymore I don’t think we’ll bother replacing it. There’s still the fridge freezer and a small chest freezer.

Regardless of an hour ahead or not, Happy Sunday from the elevator mats of blue!

DB0F11C6-9781-48E1-AFAC-D381CBFB2667.thumb.jpeg.cf10fea3b206746330d54c8421dba5fc.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 25

Thank you Rich, Roy, the drinks and recipe ladies.

We love potato chips so I'll need to make some dip to go with them.  A couple of pics below in Aruba with the butterflies.  DH had one ride around with him during our entire visit.

Think I'll also make an apple pie to celebrate Pi day.

Glad the Daily reminded me about DST. 

DH had his first shot scheduled for yesterday and when we got there they asked if I wanted one also.  OF COURSE!!!!  Came home and did some yard work so our arms are feeling fine today.

Prayers for all those on the care list and those who need them.  Best wishes to all.

20181223_095648.jpg

20181223_103711.jpg

Edited by baltic17
pics
  • Like 21

Confirmed Morgenmuffel here. Nevertheless, I feel there is a lot of "kerfuffle" over a 1-hour time change that happens once every 6 months. Sure, it's a tad inconvenient, but it has been shown that it is safer for kids going to school (and us early morning driver-commuters) to have a little sunlight to guide us in the darker months. And as the days get longer, I also (as a working stiff) appreciate having some light at the end of the day to get out in my yard for a bit. 

That drink of the day sounds like it is made for my mom who loves both raspberries and rose. I'm going to pass on the mineral-y, earthy, wet pebble wine.

On Pi Day my son and I generally have a pizza, but as I already have leftover lemon pepper chicken I will probably do something with that.

I've been to Juneau twice on Alaska cruises -- once when I was 14, and about 30 years later when I took DS, who was about 11 at the time. What a difference that 30 years made in our Alaska experience. Still loved it but it was much more commercialized. Unfortunately I had not yet acquired a digital camera then, so no pics to post. DS and I did a whale-watching tour and really enjoyed it.

@cunnorl  Sounds like a frightening experience. I'm not a big fan of trams, cable cars, ropeways and the like but I manage to get through them for what awaits at the top.

@StLouisCruisers  Great photos as always. The "shopping cart handle" lounge on Princess ships makes for a nice viewing area despite the odd look. I've often enjoyed them as they tend to be a quiet spot during the day.

@DeeniEncinitas  Beautiful -- you are so talented!

And finally, I realized they were running a marathon of Mighty Cruise Ships last night on our Smithsonian channel. I watched a few I'd not seen before. @kazu, I found another ship that calls at Ponza (besides Prinsendam, that is):  the Royal Clipper. I'd never seriously considered these "sailing" ships before but the itineraries have stops at a lot of lesser known places, at least in the Med. The cruises are not long but one can string them together. Still probably not as long as you like. Anyway, thought you'd get a kick out of that!

image.png.92bea05b8ca8b5409ac299daf8a266a3.png 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

We were in Juneau in August of 2004 when we took my parents on their 60-year anniversary cruise. There were 10 of us; mom & dad, my brother and his wife and 2 kids, and Mitzi and I and our two boys. Several of us went up the Mt. Roberts Tramway for some amazing views. It was a very memorable cruise! 

The view of the tramway from the Celebrity Mercury and a view from the top -

DSC01987.thumb.JPG.efb9385f7b2952706c186e5750432a4a.JPG3796304_DSC02011(2).thumb.JPG.f67e192e11bb3b398717e1d7daad36cf.JPG

If you want to learn about butterflies, head to the Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory -

DSC_0139.thumb.JPG.54013790fdbc42baea989d247180d99e.JPG

DSC_0140.thumb.JPG.f4288427cea38d61477da9d0d4b15774.JPG

• Like 20

Good morning.  Love seeing butterflies, and we enjoy potato chips.  The meal sounds good, but since we will be heading to Texas in a little more than a week, we are cleaning out the freezer, so tonight will tempura shrimp and French fries cooked in the air fryer.

I took an advertising course in college during the time "You Can't Eat Just One" potato chip ad campaign was running.  One day, the professor handed a few of us two potato chips with instructions to eat just one.  If we still had the other at the end of the class, he would take us to the Student Union for coffee.  We all still had the second chip. 

Since we always still have birthday cake on Pi day, I don't make a pie to celegrate the day.  That would be a sweets overload.

I will join those who would like to stick to standard time.  Usually, the time change does not affect us if we are in Arizona.  With the exception of the Navajo Nation, Arizona, along with Hawaii, does not go on daylight savings time.  However, the non-network tv programs change times.

@superoma  We were on the 2012 Amsterdam cruise with you.

@DeeniEncinitas Lovely picture.

@VMax1700  Sorry your son was injured, but it sounds like he is on the mend.  Sweet of him to try to not worry your DW.

We have been to Juneau on at least 12 cruises, plus we have driven to Alsaks seven times in our motorhome.. 

To get out of the Texas summer, we started doing b2b2b2b cruises.  Also, we found that doing 2 or more b2bs, we have a better chance for good weather (meaning clouds, no rain) at least once in each port.  In 2018, Alaska was having a heatwave in the southeastern part of the state, so we had tremendous weather all but the last time in Juneau.

Our first cruise there, we took a helicopter flight to Taku glacier. We landed on the glacier and when we took off, the pilot flew through some wide crevasses.  Unfortunately, those pictures are in a photo album in Texas.  For the most part, I tried to pick pictures a little off the beaten path.

The first two are from Douglas Island, taken the day we rented a car.  Volendam was with the Zaandam that day.

DSC03804.thumb.JPG.bba366d009a0fccb50bea862f06b4b45.JPG

DSC03802.thumb.JPG.c36682e4a2a0b8a1c65817dcac715b2e.JPG

We saw this statue as we came across the bridge back into Juneau.  

DSC03806.thumb.JPG.2f72843d2e2307d6fb0c47e2b7e15e4c.JPG

In 2015, we were on Statendam for her final call in Juneau before heading to Singapore and then to Australia. 

DSC03995.thumb.JPG.3177e64667eec661c98533f065e7a99b.JPG

The day we rented a car in Juneau in 2015, we saw this bear up close and personal at the boardwalk by the parking lot at the Mendenhall Glacier.  Fortunately, there was a strong fence between us and the bear.

DSC04007.thumb.JPG.6110081a25527fc23ff14ca2717f5d29.JPG

DSC04009.thumb.JPG.9f6779c287739fc9225280a50cc66456.JPG

Finally, a classic picture of Juneau without the classic Juneau weather.

DSC03556.thumb.JPG.3d9d7c3473d2bb72f133fd5469559c1d.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2

@cruisemom42I agree with several of your points.  For instance your comments on DST.  Winter early morning sunshine and summer evening daylight hours to enjoy.  Also a good time to change batteries.  

I also enjoy quiet time in Skywalkers when on Princess ships who have one.  Sometimes the knitters and stitchers group meets there on sea days.  Also good for reading and just viewing scenery.

I've got 12 episodes of Might Cruise Ships saved on my DVR.  When I need a cruise fix, I watch one!  It really helps!  I'm looking forward to new episodes in the future, fingers crossed.

• Like 15