UK Cruise restart May 2021

philsuarez

How exciting MSC have announced UK restart for UK residents. Only annoying factor is we don’t know what shipmso can’t start planning anything. Does anyone have an idea what we might get? Magnifica was meant to do a UK season but not sure she’ll have enough balcony cabins if MSC follow the same plan as the other lines. Really exciting if we ended up with a Meriviglia class vessel 

MSC could certainly steal some passengers from other lines as they are allowing children. I just find all these announcements a little light on detail which makes for a frustrating wait for further information. Looking at the schedule we could grab Grandiosa which is due out of Kiel or Bellisima which seems to be missing from cruise schedules until Asia in November 2021

Edited by philsuarez

(5 p.m. GMT) -- MSC Cruises has become the latest line to announce a restart date in the U.K., resuming operations on May 20, 2021. It joins Viking, P&O Cruises and Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines in confirming a restart date for U.K. cruises for U.K. residents.

MSC will restart cruising from Southampton on MSC Magnifica initially offering short break cruises with only sea days before embarking on longer voyages with stops in ports of call.

The line will not require passengers to be vaccinated against COVID-19 but will require proof of a negative PCR test taken no longer than 72 hours before boarding. MSC said it will also test passengers before boarding.

"It's time for U.K. holidaymakers to get back on board and enjoy a well-deserved break from what has been a very challenging 12 months for everyone in so many ways," Managing Director of MSC Cruises UK and Ireland Antonio Paradiso said.

"MSC Cruises is a family-owned company, and our guests are an extension of that, so we are looking forward to welcoming them and their families back on board."

He confirmed the line would welcome vaccinated and non-vaccinated guests. All guests will be tested prior to embarkation, while non-vaccinated guests will also be required to show proof of negative test done within 72 hours prior to embarkation.

"Crew in addition to the protocol-mandated test and 14-day quarantine prior to embarkation will also receive weekly testing, in addition to other ongoing health monitoring measures," he said.

This week alone, three cruise lines have announced their U.K. restart dates: Viking, onboard Viking Venus, its newest ship, will start May 22; P&O Cruises onboard Iona and Britannia from June 27; and Fred. Olsen from July 5 aboard Bolette and Borealis.

Viking and Fred. Olsen will not require passengers to have been vaccinated; P&O Cruises will.

The ship will follow all the health and safety protocols implemented onboard MSC Grandiosa, which has been safely sailing around Italy since July of last year.

Paradiso confirmed it was working on a program of protected or bubble shore excursions for passengers, as it has been running in Italy, depending on current health guidelins in the U.K.

The line confirmed it will release more details of its new U.K.-only summer deployment April 7.

39 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

Wonder if MSC will offer the sailings to those booked already on the Norway Vacations in June/July or probably Cancel and have to rebook , probably easier. 

Those Norway ones may still go ahead.

• Like 1

Aw - really excited by this news after the disappointment of the P&O offering ( I have kids and with upcoming delays in vaccines, I may not be fully vaccinated by August after all). Even more excited if they are doing stops too, which makes total sense. 

I also have an FCC as our May Poesia cruise was cancelled a month ago - just hope the voucher becomes available soon, so I can book.

Holding out to see what Princess offer.

Really hope that further announcements detail a second ship. Meraviglia/Seaside class would be ideal, but would be happy with a Fantasia, and as mentioned, all these would offer more balcony accommodation.

3 hours ago, philsuarez said:

MSC could certainly steal some passengers from other lines as they are allowing children. I just find all these announcements a little light on detail which makes for a frustrating wait for further information. Looking at the schedule we could grab Grandiosa which is due out of Kiel or Bellisima which seems to be missing from cruise schedules until Asia in November 2021

Bellisima would be nice - I suspect they will keep Grandiosa in the Med as they have got it working well there.  Suspect at least half of their Med cruises won't actually happen this summer - it still feels like baby steps. 

8 hours ago, sidari said:

We’ll welcome children and unvaccinated adults on our round-Britain voyages starting on May 20, MSC Cruises announces | Shipmonk

I wonder which other Embarkation ports they will use, maybe Liverpool, Newcastle, Edinburgh.

They can't use Edinburgh as a turnaround port.   MSC ships are far too large for either Leith or Rosyth which have terminals.   Transit calls are done at South Queensferry or Newhaven (Edinburgh), both of which are tender ports.

Liverpool or Newcastle on the other hand, would be possible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, showingdiva said:

They can't use Edinburgh as a turnaround port.   MSC ships are far too large for either Leith or Rosyth which have terminals.   Transit calls are done at South Queensferry or Newhaven (Edinburgh), both of which are tender ports.

Wonder if Belfast is a possibility - I see that they do  use Belfast as a port as it is on the old Preziosa itineraries.  Belfast has a ferry port so imagine that's where cruise ships dock.

4 hours ago, showingdiva said:

Why not? All these ports are quite capable. Moreover, in my opinion it wont really matter where to port when the cruising will be back 

12 hours ago, LifeonMars said:

Wonder if MSC will offer the sailings to those booked already on the Norway Vacations in June/July or probably Cancel and have to rebook , probably easier. 

We had a June sailing but final was early March so they forced our hand to cancel.

2 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Why not? All these ports are quite capable. Moreover, in my opinion it wont really matter where to port when the cruising will be back 

Yes, we are quite capable of a turnaround, and do so at both Leith and Rosyth for Fred Olsen, Silversea, Azamara, Windstar, Grand Circle and formerly Cruise and Maritime.   However, the transferring of luggage wouldn't be possible via tender, and it would also need screened.   Leith is restricted to what fits in the lock gates c.50,000t and Rosyth by what can limbo under the Forth Bridge, the road bridge and the Queensferry Crossing.

Greenock or Invergordon would be more capable to handle turnarounds of larger ships in Scotland.

Looks like the MSC news gets better and better with MSC Cruises CEO Gianni Onorato confirming on web interview that passengers could start cruises from Liverpool and Greenock. He also teased the possibility of a larger ship than Magnifica or even an additional vessel. Sounds like a lot dependant on UK government from 12/04/21

1 hour ago, Preziosa said:

What about Preziosas Cruise around GB the 9 th of May starting from Hamburg. Will it Be possible...

As the UK do not lift travel restrictions until May 17th if it goes ahead, there is very little chance of your cruise stopping here if Germany allow the cruise to go ahead.

Edited by sidari

10 hours ago, Preziosa said:

What about Preziosas Cruise around GB the 9 th of May starting from Hamburg. Will it Be possible...

With Germany about to enter another lockdown and cases soaring it's very unlikely that it will sail. And as Sid said, UK restrictions will not be lifted for it to sail to the UK.

On 3/19/2021 at 8:09 AM, dritan said:

Wonder if Belfast is a possibility - I see that they do  use Belfast as a port as it is on the old Preziosa itineraries.  Belfast has a ferry port so imagine that's where cruise ships dock.

Definitely won't be Belfast

4 hours ago, philsuarez said:

I think it may be likely that MSC Virtuosa is redeployed to the UK rather than the summer season out of Kiel what with further lockdowns across Europe

Phil ... More chance of Divina I would guess.

So whilst we are waiting what do folks think the 7 night itinerary will be? Given the news in the podcast about Liverpool and Greenock, I will suggest, Southampton, sea day, Liverpool, Belfast, Greenock, Invergordon, sea day, Southampton. Just a bit of fun, what do others think?