First thing to do once onboard?

BoozinCroozin

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Being a bit tired from traveling or over excited, we love boarding early even tho our room isn’t ready.  We generally park ourselves in the warm solarium or sky view lounge  …both pretty quiet areas at this point to unwind….go grab a drink or food, bring it back to “our” quiet spot and relax…. maybe even nap!   Soon enough action begins and we’re ready for it!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 4:02 PM, BoozinCroozin said:

This may get a little long winded so I will try to limit it. For those of us that have never cruised, some of the things that need to be done onboard are unknown or with only the information we gather from sites like these. I am going to ask by cruise line because we have two different booked.

NCL: We got the "free" things which include 2 specialty dining options. So those can't be reserved before boarding to my knowledge.

1. Can entertainment/shows be reserve ahead of time in the app or online pre-cruise? If not, where can this be done on the ship?
  2. The free specialty dining has to be booked once onboard. Where do you go to make those reservations (preferably where 1,000 other passengers aren't doing the same thing)?

CCL: No addon specialty dining, but if you buy it before the cruise you can reserve your spot.

1. Can you make entertainment reservations before boarding through the app or site?
  2. If not, where can this be done onboard where there are not tons of people doing the same thing?

I know once I get onboard I will want to start with a cocktail. That will make waiting in a small line a bit more enjoyable. After that, it is taking in all the information overload, trying to learn how to navigate the ship, and take everything in that we can.

1.) Yes they can, about 90 days out

2.) You can do that either through the stateroom TV or just give Dining Services a call and they can book it for you

3.) See Question 1

4.) See Question 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 4:57 PM, rkacruiser said:

Pay particular attention to any information about the REQUIRED Muster Drill instructions and when that Drill take place.

Any spa or specialty dining reservations that need to be made is next.  I am not aware of having to make reservations for any entertainment. 

After lunch, time to explore the ship

Yes, we like to do all REQUIRED items immediately /get them out of the way.  

Our family tradition is to board as soon as possible and (with as few people as possible onboard) walk down-down-down until we've "circled" the whole ship, checking out all the public areas.  Usually we're so excited that we're talking over one another, pointing things out, making plans for the week.  

Usually we've had a pretty good breakfast, and we like to board early -- so we aren't just hankering to get lunch.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

Grand Turk is almost one continuous beach - golf cart is good idea, but you might not want to swim at some truly isolated place.  Nassau is a different story - perhaps a taxi over to Cabbage Beach on Paradise Island (15 minutes) - always leave passport in room safe on board and always keep anything of value which you are not willing to lose either on your person or with your travelling partner.

• 7 months later...

This was really helpful. Even though we’ve cruised in the past our upcoming one on Oasis is our first on this size of ship for Royal.  I’m a little nervous because of the size but our daughter and son-in-law wanted to try it. I’m excited because we have a regular balcony and they have one overlooking one of the busy areas.

On Princess, we always went to the dining room for lunch first because not everyone realizes it’s open.