Travel Insurance cruise cover.

majortom10

1 minute ago, rumbalizw said:

Every item listed ,is exactly as is on my insurance . I get higher cove r plus an accompanying letter stating cover for on-board medical emergency services

Is that if it is a UK waters only cruise?

If so who is it with? 

24 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Is that if it is a UK waters only cruise?

If so who is it with? 

Cover for you. I've probably got on their nerves, asking questions, stating exactly, what I'm doing, where I'm going , or not going in this case. 

See Cover for you is with AXA Travel Insurance,  I just asked same question and they said yes  subject to their usual get out clause, of t&c 😁 However I have AXA and as far as I can see as long as you have minimum 2 nights booked then your covered.

Edited by LifeonMars

1 minute ago, rumbalizw said:

Cover for you. I've probably got on their nerves, asking questions, stating exactly, what I'm doing, where I'm going , or not going in this case. 

In fact, they've been really helpful, in explaining which pages, the staff at the terminal will want to see, and take the cover letter...though I'm taking the whole wording policy. 

Southampton terminal staff are going to have to go through a lot of training for this ....or will they ? 

3 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

See Cover for you is with AXA Travel Insurance,  I just asked same question and they said yes  subject to their usual get out clause, of t&c 😁 However I have AXA and as far as I can see as long as you have minimum 2 nights booked then your covered.

Yes thats right . the T's and C's are the usual, what you'd expect eg; treatment that can be left until you are home, tavelling against medical advice, catching a tropical diseasee and not vaccinated, and so on, etc etc . 

Its seems to me that, passengers in the past, may have travelled without insurance, on UK cruises, thinking they don't need it because they are in the UK and they are still under the NHS. So this is why the cruise lines are making people think before they travel uninsured, in the UK, and on the water.

Also, they were pretty hot about stating the need to have  covid cover on the policy, which some policies may need looking at and amending/adding on . 

It is surprising that people forget to check insurance, but it happens. I saw my neighbours on TV, where the kids had been really ill, in the Dominican Republic. First time they'd gone further afield than Spain. Unfortunately, the policy was for Europe only . Ooops 😞 

6 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

OK, so change that to 5 miles.

That puts you I go the very grey area that is being discussed in many of the forums. It depends on the specific wording of the policy - how it defines abroad, home country / area and home. The detail is key. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LifeonMars said:

AXA seems to have it all covered. They appear to also cover if you have to cancel due to quarantine prior to the cruise which holiday extras seems not to. 

1 hour ago, Stu UK said:

That puts you I go the very grey area that is being discussed in many of the forums. It depends on the specific wording of the policy - how it defines abroad, home country / area and home. The detail is key. 

As you say - it's the specific wording of the actual policy document that counts, and these vary quite dramatically between companies, and even between dates purchased for the same company.  Nothing else - just the policy document.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

As you say - it's the specific wording of the actual policy document that counts, and these vary quite dramatically between companies, and even between dates purchased for the same company.  Nothing else - just the policy document.

With most insurance documents, it is the exclusions (especially the "general exclusions")which make the most interesting reading.

In fairness, I think this is a situation that has caught many travel insurers on the hop; previously, most round UK cruises called into UK ports, so UK passengers could be offloaded for ongoing treatment under the NHS.

As they get to grips most insurers that already cover cruises will probably confirm that treatment by the ship's doctor will fall under the medical emergency section and be covered regardless of whether in UK waters or outside.

Until then, if the policy is unclear, I would be inclined to ask for an email to confirm cover under those situations. (Expect any email to highlight the exclusion about alcohol induced injury.🙄- they may be wondering if a no-stops cruise is a new term for booze-cruise).

So I have a bit of an update - I hope it helps! 😀

Previously from AllClear:

Thank you for your patience whilst we referred this for you.

Please see the below questions and answers regarding UK cruises that have been provided by our Underwriters:

"To clarify, if a customer is going on a UK cruise, do we need to capture whether they are travelling through waters outside of the UK and include these destinations within the region of cover?
Yes, we should, otherwise the customer is at risk of not having the full claim / assistance covered. For your reference this is something we also try to capture when someone is travelling on their own boats. 

Separately, if the customer is on a UK cruise and in UK waters only, would they have medical expense cover including airlift/repatriation?
Yes, should the evacuation not be covered by NHS/EHIC, we would take over and cover them."

Please ensure you declare all destinations, even if you are only travelling through the waters and not stopping at any ports. Failure to do so could impact any potential claim.

Please contact us again if we can be of further assistance.’

I then went back with:

Thank you so much for this reply which is really helpful to me.

Can I just clarify that if I was to need medical treatment on board (at the on board medical centre), anything over the excess would also be covered, even if I was only sailing in UK waters?

Thanks’

AllClear came back with:

Any medical expenses occurred onboard a UK only cruise will be considered on our AllClear Gold and Gold Plus policy, but only if the costs are not covered by the NHS/EHIC. This will allow you to submit a claim up to the amount covered on the policy.
Please contact us again if we can be of further assistance. 

So I think this might be the answer we wanted!

I hope this helps - I usually use AllClear anyway due to partner’s various medical conditions so they were my first thought 😀

If anyone sees any issues with this, please do let us know though! 🙏🙏🙏

• Like 1

Ive spent a fair chunk of time researching travel policies for the UK cruises over the last week.  The first company who have put in writing specific answers re UK water scenarios is Cover For You who are underwritten by AXA.  If it's of interest here is an extract from the transcript. Usual disclaimers ...... this is not advise and others should do their own research before purchasing to ensure it meets your needs 🙂

"I am looking for travel insurance for a cruise that stays in uk waters. Please can you confirm if your policies cover the following:-

1) Repatriation in an emergency from the ship for a medical emergency if the ship can’t dock and the coast guard is unable to assist. I’m thinking of an emergency helicopter evacuation still in UK waters.

2) Treatment onboard the ship that is required as the NHS can’t be accessed whilst at sea in UK waters.

3) Cancellation cover for the cruise if NHS track and trace tell you to self isolate and therefore can’t go on the cruise.

It seems on the face of it that any treatment in the Home Area is excluded - however I’m guessing a cruise has an endorsement added?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Chat Transferred. Hi, xxxx here!! I'd be happy to assist you further.

All our policies include up to £15 million of cover for on board emergency medical costs including the costs of repatriation (emergency evacuation) where medically necessary. This applies for all cruises including a UK 'Cruise to nowhere'* or a UK 'Coastal Cruise'**

All normal cover included in your policy also applies including cover for cancellation, curtailment, baggage and more, please refer to the schedule of benefits and the terms found in your policy wording for further information for your chosen cover level. Please note we also offer an optional 'Cruise Cover' add on which provides additional cover including Unused Excursions cover, Missed Port cover and Confinement To Cabin cover, if you have already purchased your policy and would like to add this cover please visit your Customer Zone to add (subject to terms and additional premium).

A 'Cruise to nowhere' is a cruise that departs from and returns to a UK port without calling at any additional ports. Cover is in force from the time you leave port in the UK to the time you return to port in the UK. This cover stems from the insured person being outside their Home Area while at sea as the territorial waters around the UK do not form part of the Home Area definition within our policy wording.

A 'Coastal Cruise' is a cruise that departs from and returns to a UK port stopping at one or more UK ports. Cover is in force while at sea, from the time you leave one port to the time you disembark at the next, limited cover applies while on land in the UK. This cover stems from the insured person being outside their Home Area while at sea as the territorial waters around the UK do not form part of the Home Area definition within our policy wording.

That is helpful thank you. Do you have an answer about cover if you have to self isolate under advise from NHS track & Trace prior to the cruise do you can’t go on it.

Subject to terms and conditions you are covered for cancellation due to self isolation providing that official letter/email can be provided confirming the advise.

Great. You are one of the first companies to provide robust answers to these questions. What you have said clearly is different to the policy document we can view when taking out a policy. Is a policy endorsement issued to confirm what you have said ?

Kindly note that above is listed in your policy wording document attached to welcome email. For any information regarding scenarios covered in terms of COVID-19 please see https://www.coverforyou.com/faqs_travel.php"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Stu UK said:

Ive spent a fair chunk of time researching travel policies for the UK cruises over the last week.  The first company who have put in writing specific answers re UK water scenarios is Cover For You who are underwritten by AXA.  If it's of interest here is an extract from the transcript. Usual disclaimers ...... this is not advise and others should do their own research before purchasing to ensure it meets your needs 🙂

"I am looking for travel insurance for a cruise that stays in uk waters. Please can you confirm if your policies cover the following:-

1) Repatriation in an emergency from the ship for a medical emergency if the ship can’t dock and the coast guard is unable to assist. I’m thinking of an emergency helicopter evacuation still in UK waters.

2) Treatment onboard the ship that is required as the NHS can’t be accessed whilst at sea in UK waters.

3) Cancellation cover for the cruise if NHS track and trace tell you to self isolate and therefore can’t go on the cruise.

It seems on the face of it that any treatment in the Home Area is excluded - however I’m guessing a cruise has an endorsement added?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Chat Transferred. Hi, xxxx here!! I'd be happy to assist you further.

All our policies include up to £15 million of cover for on board emergency medical costs including the costs of repatriation (emergency evacuation) where medically necessary. This applies for all cruises including a UK 'Cruise to nowhere'* or a UK 'Coastal Cruise'**

All normal cover included in your policy also applies including cover for cancellation, curtailment, baggage and more, please refer to the schedule of benefits and the terms found in your policy wording for further information for your chosen cover level. Please note we also offer an optional 'Cruise Cover' add on which provides additional cover including Unused Excursions cover, Missed Port cover and Confinement To Cabin cover, if you have already purchased your policy and would like to add this cover please visit your Customer Zone to add (subject to terms and additional premium).

A 'Cruise to nowhere' is a cruise that departs from and returns to a UK port without calling at any additional ports. Cover is in force from the time you leave port in the UK to the time you return to port in the UK. This cover stems from the insured person being outside their Home Area while at sea as the territorial waters around the UK do not form part of the Home Area definition within our policy wording.

A 'Coastal Cruise' is a cruise that departs from and returns to a UK port stopping at one or more UK ports. Cover is in force while at sea, from the time you leave one port to the time you disembark at the next, limited cover applies while on land in the UK. This cover stems from the insured person being outside their Home Area while at sea as the territorial waters around the UK do not form part of the Home Area definition within our policy wording.

That is helpful thank you. Do you have an answer about cover if you have to self isolate under advise from NHS track & Trace prior to the cruise do you can’t go on it.

Subject to terms and conditions you are covered for cancellation due to self isolation providing that official letter/email can be provided confirming the advise.

Great. You are one of the first companies to provide robust answers to these questions. What you have said clearly is different to the policy document we can view when taking out a policy. Is a policy endorsement issued to confirm what you have said ?

Kindly note that above is listed in your policy wording document attached to welcome email. For any information regarding scenarios covered in terms of COVID-19 please see https://www.coverforyou.com/faqs_travel.php"

Thank you for this. I had also assumed that as my policy’s definition of leaving “Home Area”  just said United Kingdom etc and no mention of the 12 mile limit that we would be covered once leaving shore. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer
Shore not shire

When I took my insurance out two days ago I was told that I would be covered for the 12 miles off sore repatriation and all medical expenses while on board and if I catch COVID-19 while on board , all in my insurance policy, but they are sending me two separate documents to help clarify to check in staff about the 12 helicopter lift of ship and separate documents for the Covid-19 all made simple 

Hopefully I have got everything covered now which will make it easier for check in staff 🤗

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

When I took my insurance out two days ago I was told that I would be covered for the 12 miles off sore repatriation and all medical expenses while on board and if I catch COVID-19 while on board , all in my insurance policy, but they are sending me two separate documents to help clarify to check in staff about the 12 helicopter lift of ship and separate documents for the Covid-19 all made simple 

Hopefully I have got everything covered now which will make it easier for check in staff 🤗

Who is your policy now through?

Just had it confirmed by Staysure that those who have an annual multi trip policy with them that also covers cruises then they have agreed to cover cruises in UK waters for P&O/Cunard/Princess Staycation/Seacation cruises. You have to get in touch with them and they will send you an endorsement letter by e-mail saying that you are covered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Just had it confirmed by Staysure that those who have an annual multi trip policy with them that also covers cruises then they have agreed to cover cruises in UK waters for P&O/Cunard/Princess Staycation/Seacation cruises. You have to get in touch with them and they will send you an endorsement letter by e-mail saying that you are covered.

What a difference a day makes!   Now the insurance companies are awake to the lovely money to be made, endorsements and coverage confirmations flying around like post from home day at Hogwarts

• Like 2

To correct my earlier post about my policy I have just  had a phone from my insurance company about the Helicopter lift , they have been in touch with the underwriters and they say that I’m not covered with my insurance for that because it is free with the coast guard and military anyway, I’m getting so confused 🤷‍♀️ 

1 hour ago, Purdey16 said:

To correct my earlier post about my policy I have just  had a phone from my insurance company about the Helicopter lift , they have been in touch with the underwriters and they say that I’m not covered with my insurance for that because it is free with the coast guard and military anyway, I’m getting so confused 🤷‍♀️ 

I hope that confirms what I have been trying to find out, Marine and Coastguard Agency Search and Rescue do not charge for emergency medical evacuations. However do the French and Irish (Eire) charge for the same service. These special cruises might enter French or Irish waters for various reasons and the emergency services probably co-ordinate their responses so if there is say no UK helicopter available they can request the French or Irish for help, and vice versa of course.

I was looking to book a P&O cruise for September, I contacted Nationwide as I have World wide cover through their Flex Plus Account and I assumed that this would be enough cover. I was told that as there was still a Government ban on cruising I would not be covered for any cruise that I book before the ban is lifted! When the ban gets lifted, I was also told that as the cruise is around the UK they would only offer £10,000 worth of repatriation and medical cover not the £2,000,000 that P&O are insisting on. I would strongly recommend that anyone thinking of booking a cruise at the moment double checks with their insurer before booking.

On a more positive note I have found that Staysure Insurance are offering a good value anuual UK policy that will cover UK cruises and will meet P&O's repatriation and medical cover requirements.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 3:50 PM, rumbalizw said:

In fact, they've been really helpful, in explaining which pages, the staff at the terminal will want to see, and take the cover letter...though I'm taking the whole wording policy. 

Southampton terminal staff are going to have to go through a lot of training for this ....or will they ? 

Well I'm probably going for this one, therefore would you be able to let me know the relevant pages to copy ? (of course as well as the general certificate of insurance) .many thanks in advance. 

3 hours ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Well I'm probably going for this one, therefore would you be able to let me know the relevant pages to copy ? (of course as well as the general certificate of insurance) .many thanks in advance. 

Yes it's pages 5-7 which is the schedule of benefits  of the policy wording document  . 

Edited by rumbalizw
Missed into