Internet connection on sky princess? Good enough for work?

Castaway Cowgirl

I think it depends more on the area your sailing in then the ship you are on with Medallion net.  We were on the Regal in the Caribbean and I had no problem making video calls or streaming video.  Friends told me they had problems on the Regal on a TA and the internet was almost useless.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, franktown said:

I think it depends more on the area your sailing in then the ship you are on with Medallion net.  We were on the Regal in the Caribbean and I had no problem making video calls or streaming video.  Friends told me they had problems on the Regal on a TA and the internet was almost useless.

Thanks.  It is a Western Caribbean on Sky, and that day we are in Cozumel.  It is in December so I am not sure the port will stay as scheduled since everything seems up in the air.  I am optimistic hearing that you had no problem in the Caribbean.  I hope the newer ship will help too.

• Like 1

Just be aware that Internet access is never guaranteed.

A hardware failure can occur and needed replacement parts may not be on the ship.

I was on one Princess cruise where it was 5 days until we reached the port where the replacement parts had been shipped.

Of course if you are in a port at the time you need to be on the Internet, likely you can find Internet access on land if it is not available on the ship.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

If you're going to be in port, probably better to just find a Starbucks....

that's pretty rude to the people around you, unless you are just watching the video, and listening thru your ear buds ... especially for a business call / video

sorry , just my opinion - I don't do Starbucks ... but we do do Pancho's Backyard in Cozumel 🍻

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, skynight said:

If it's a port day your chances of good connections are better, not as many on line.

Some programs may be blocked to prevent to control band usage. Check with the internet manager when you board.

I haven’t thought about that.  Thanks.  I’ve never used the internet service before on any ship if you can believe that.  We always try to shut out the world!

• Like 1

In 2019 my SIL and BIL were on Royal Princess in the Caribbean and we were on Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas sailing along the East Coast to the Caribbean. We were able to Facetime with a good connection and the call wasn't dropped.  However, we were on the call for maybe 15 minutes. I don't know if I would trust the connection if it were for a long video call.

On 3/20/2021 at 10:48 AM, voljeep said:

that's pretty rude to the people around you, unless you are just watching the video, and listening thru your ear buds ... especially for a business call / video

sorry , just my opinion - I don't do Starbucks ... but we do do Pancho's Backyard in Cozumel 🍻

I would agree with you but those Coffee Houses are popular for business meetings and calls. I don't find it anymore annoying than the usual kvetching that seems to go on with the patrons of Starbucks and Panera Bread during my lunch.

On 3/19/2021 at 10:28 PM, franktown said:

Yep.  Last TA on Regal the inter bate was essentially unusable for 4 days.  Worst I have even seen, even from "dialup" days.  Don't believe the hype of "MedallionNet."

"...or is that a ridiculous idea?"

I can't imagine spending one moment more than necessary on the ship in Cozumel of all places, or on anything labeled work shoreside. But there are times when we do what we must in life. I hope you can either reschedule the conference or the cruise.

MedallionNet will go out on TAs, extreme northern and southern latitudes. Satellites.

13 hours ago, HUNKY said:

I'm impressed that you have already scheduled a web meeting nine months out!

It could be a standing meeting, like every Monday at 8AM or the last day of every month, etc.

And no, I would not count on any Internet connection ever, not on land and especially not at sea. AT&T had a fiber cut and took down my Internet (and the entire community's) for 23 hours one day last week .

Here is my opinion.  I was in Cozumel two years ago and the ship wifi was blazing fast.  I streamed both tv shows, and church services.  I do not see a problem.  Since it will be a port day;  there will be less people on the ship giving you access to a quiet area on the ship to have your video call.  You may be able to stay in you cabin and complete you call there.  Actually,  on our seven night western caribbean cruise;  the wifi was great at every port stop and while at sea.  Have a great weekend

• Like 3

We had one of the new cabins up on Sky deck.  Internet was great on one side of the bed and signal dropped constantly on the other.  But there are a ton of nooks and crannies around the ship where you could sit by yourself, especially near the atriums, that have excellent connectivity.  Find one of these before your meeting and set up there.  Many of the inside public areas are not in use during the day although some of the bars might be used for private get-togethers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LeeW said:

We had one of the new cabins up on Sky deck.  Internet was great on one side of the bed and signal dropped constantly on the other. 

In the past when the Internet connection was spotty I found that propping open a couple of inches the door to the hallway resulted in a great connection.

• 1 month later...