What incentives are there to book 2022?

We’ve been looking at some options for the summer of 2022. With the unknowns which still exist for what cruising will be like, I’m looking at what incentives exist for booking now for 2022. My understanding is:

- CWC is gone so no more last minute cancellation or FCC. 
- L&S is gone unless RC cancel the cruise. 
- You get double C&A points. 

Is that it or am I missing something?

6 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

We’ve been looking at some options for the summer of 2022. With the unknowns which still exist for what cruising will be like, I’m looking at what incentives exist for booking now for 2022. My understanding is:

Are you sure about this? Last I saw, it was available for cruises booked by the end of May.

7 minutes ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Are you sure about this? Last I saw, it was available for cruises booked by the end of May.

You are correct, book by end of May but only available on cruises up to end of April 2022, so of no use to the Summer 2022 season. Sorry, I should have been cleaner in my initial post. 

2 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

You are correct, book by end of May but only available on cruises up to end of April 2022, so of no use to the Summer 2022 season. Sorry, I should have been cleaner in my initial post. 

Ah, gotcha. I didn't pay much attention to that part since we booked February cruise.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

Book refundable deposits and you are covered. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Yes, the big incentive is that sailings will actually happen. Would you rather have CWC and no sailings or to actually cruise? As long as demand is so strong, no need for cruise lines to offer anything else.

I’d love to cruise but what type of experience are we paying a deposit for? Masks, social distancing, limited numbers at shows, in pools, etc. I’d like the safety of CWC so I’m not gifting them the deposit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy Baltic said:

I’d love to cruise but what type of experience are we paying a deposit for? Masks, social distancing, limited numbers at shows, in pools, etc.

Most likely.  There's no telling when masks and other restrictions will be gone on land in everyday life.  Cruises will be the LAST place that gets back to something near normal.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Well we are only three months into 2021. The beauty of it is that you don’t have to book anything in 2022 right now and have the luxury of waiting and seeing.

We are a family of 5, with young children, so there are limited rooms which suit. We always have to book well ahead to get availability. 

9 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Most likely.  There's no telling when masks and other restrictions will be gone on land in everyday life.  Cruises will be the LAST place that gets back to something near normal.

Thanks. That’s our concern. We’re trying to balance the desire to cruise against the likelihood that land based vacations will be less restrictive. I hoped I had missed some ‘offer’ giving that flexibility but it looks like booking refundable deposit through a US TA is the only way to do that. 

Billy Baltic;  I think prices are starting to rise;  so if you can get 60% off second guest your travel agent should take a look see.  My 12 night British Isles cruise that was booked in Jan;  has gone up 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Billy Baltic;  I think prices are starting to rise;  so if you can get 60% off second guest your travel agent should take a look see.  My 12 night British Isles cruise that was booked in Jan;  has gone up 

Thank you. I expect prices to increase a lot as confidence increases in travel being possible in 2022. 

4 hours ago, AF-1 said:

we booked on the 60 % off sale, even it didn't really mean anything  with single-cabins, but one of the cruises was an actual sale. We are pretty confident that our booked cruises in the Mediterranean in July 2022 will go and the non refundable deposit per cabin was $ 250.00, so not happy about it but had lost deposits on river-cruises already for 2020 and 2021, so that is just life. I also think prices will start to rise. Our Travel Agent told us that there is a lot of demand for future cruises but people are just holding back with the booking itself.

13 hours ago, AF-1 said:

BVILady;  how did you lose your river cruise deposits?  Did you cancel or did the river line cancel?

I cancelled one myself in April 2020 because I saw no way for us to be able to make it over there. Tried to have them apply my deposit for 2021 but they refused even they actually never sailed. Optimistic as I am booked the same itinerary but with a different cruise-company for 2021 but there will be no way that my Adult Children will be vaccinated by August, so will lose that deposit also. Have not heard back on my request to apply the deposit for booking for 2022 and will soon need to cancel before I will be charged for the entire fare. That company has not listed the same itinerary for their 2022 cruise-schedule, so might not even do River Duoro for 2022.

Right now I think all european cruising is a crap shoot.  Nobody  knows when things will calm down.  cruise line cancel;  passengers cancel,  I also think the trip insurance industry is going to be more restrictive with reimbursements if you cancel a trip; unless you purchase cancel for any reason.  We just have to wait and see.  Good luck with your travels.  I personally will be re booking my rhine river cruise for May 2023.  

Edited by AF-1

5 hours ago, BVILady said:

I cancelled one myself in April 2020 because I saw no way for us to be able to make it over there. Tried to have them apply my deposit for 2021 but they refused even they actually never sailed. Optimistic as I am booked the same itinerary but with a different cruise-company for 2021 but there will be no way that my Adult Children will be vaccinated by August, so will lose that deposit also. Have not heard back on my request to apply the deposit for booking for 2022 and will soon need to cancel before I will be charged for the entire fare. That company has not listed the same itinerary for their 2022 cruise-schedule, so might not even do River Duoro for 2022.

That's strange.  Viking was totally fine with transferring my 2021 river cruise to 2023.  No penalty charges at all.  

8 minutes ago, island lady said:

Not really interested in them after completion of our next cruise...someday...at some point...when it finally happens.  😉 

I need to reach that 340 or 350 level for solo bookings, the I dont care.

• Like 1