Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?

seapals2

Anthem will depart from Southampton in mid-July on five to eight-night cruises around the coastline visiting ports including Liverpool, Orkneys and Belfast.
All ship crew will be vaccinated and adult UK residents must be fully vaccinated before departure.
Children under 18 require a negative Covid test.

Royal Caribbean said it will reward hundreds of workers from the NHS, armed forces and social services with free cruises.
Pre-registration for eligible workers takes place next month and will be awarded via a ballot.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Waiting to see Disney's UK offering as they are reportedly leaving from Newcastle as well as 3 other UK ports.

Yes, their website is saying departures from Southampton, Tilbury, Newcastle and Liverpool. Just the one ship, Disney Magic, offering "2, 3 and limited 4 night" cruises.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Yes, their website is saying departures from Southampton, Tilbury, Newcastle and Liverpool. Just the one ship, Disney Magic, offering "2, 3 and limited 4 night" cruises.

I believe they are on sale April 5th.

• Thanks 1

So many to choose from! I will be looking at MSC tomorrow, as I said purely as there will be embarkation from Liverpool, but I will have to look at RCI next week! I reckon Disney will be out of our price range, but I'll still have a look!

• Like 1

With such a range of choices now becoming available, if you hadn't already booked and cost wasn't the primary factor, which line would you choose and why?

If I was sailing solo, it would probably be Fred Olsen, for the smaller ship and more interesting itinerary. If I was sailing with one of my cruise buddies it would probably be Princess for the value of the Princess Plus fare.

All points of view equally valid and hopefully no negative posts...😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peteukmcr said:

Not sure when Disney go on sale. We're looking at MSC (sailed with them before) as they are offering departures from Liverpool which is only a 35 mile journey for us, not the 230 to Southampton.

Another option worth considering is for you to fly from Manchester to Southampton, if you don't sail with MSC from Liverpool. I picked a couple of random dates in May using Loganair and the cost was £133 pp Return. Flight time only 1 hr 15 min.

Loganair use 22 seater jets and I was looking forward to a flight last August from Exeter to Liverpool to join Explorer 2. Ah well, maybe get another chance one day.🙄

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Never considered Disney before.  But if the price is right for a cruise out of Tilbury... Half hour on the train for us.

24 minutes ago, Bertie Doe said:

Another option worth considering is for you to fly from Manchester to Southampton, if you don't sail with MSC from Liverpool. I picked a couple of random dates in May using Loganair and the cost was £133 pp Return. Flight time only 1 hr 15 min.

Loganair use 22 seater jets and I was looking forward to a flight last August from Exeter to Liverpool to join Explorer 2. Ah well, maybe get another chance one day.🙄

We have flown may times to/from Southampton when the route was operated by Flybe and have looked at this for our Princess sailing at the end of July. So when we add up the cost of flights for 2 (£270), overnight accommodation and dinner in Southampton (appprox £150 - hotels are quite expensive on 30th July), transport to/from Manchester Airport (£60) that's around £480. So depending on prices for MSC, I'll be taking this additional expense into consideration.

21 minutes ago, davemorton said:

This is torture.  I would love to book up, but not having had my jab yet, I wont be able to travel. 😞 

Heart goes out to you and everyone else still in the queue waiting for a jab.

It's been an amazing rollout effort, and I do consider myself truly fortunate to be receiving mine just in time for the sailings.🙏🤞

Look on the bright side - you will still be sailing the Seven Seas, when us 'already jabbed lot' are long gone.

Hope you do manage to get a break away somewhere this summer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

With such a range of choices now becoming available, if you hadn't already booked and cost wasn't the primary factor, which line would you choose and why?

If I was sailing solo, it would probably be Fred Olsen, for the smaller ship and more interesting itinerary. If I was sailing with one of my cruise buddies it would probably be Princess for the value of the Princess Plus fare.

For me, it would be MSC, as I think their modern ships are breathtaking, and I am keen to try one. I like big ships, so Virtuosa ticks the box.

Also Disney, as I have done one cruise with them, and this current offering does seem like a one off (unless it proves to be a valid business model and it sticks for a few years) and I don't want to miss out. Also I want to complete my collection of Disney model ships as I have the Disney Wonder from my first cruise with them. Also the on board experience is pretty much one of a kind.

Edited by JP82
  • Like 2

Being a big kid at heart I would love to try a short Disney cruise, particularly if it was from Liverpool.However we have booked a seacation with Princess calling at Belfast and it is  lovely to have something to look forward to

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JP82 said:

For me, it would be MSC, as I think their modern ships are breathtaking, and I am keen to try one. I like big ships, so Virtuosa ticks the box.

We haven't tried them yet but looking at MSC Splendida on 14th  March '22, translocation Rio de Janeiro to Casablaca via the Canaries, 16 nts £969 pp balcony. Seems a good price but air fare adds £500 pp and I couldn't find any direct flights.

5 hours ago, Britboys said:

If cost wasn't a factor we'd probably choose Celebrity as a first choice as we like the class of ship they are using having sailed Reflection and Eclipse. However, as the indicative price for a 6 night sailing is £1049 pp (not sure what type of cabin that will be, even though drinks are included). Now MSC are starting at £849 for 7 nights including drinks and grats, but no doubt that will be for an inside, so tomorrow I'll see the prices for a balcony on a brand new ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peteukmcr said:

If cost wasn't a factor we'd probably choose Celebrity as a first choice as we like the class of ship they are using having sailed Reflection and Eclipse. However, as the indicative price for a 6 night sailing is £1049 pp (not sure what type of cabin that will be, even though drinks are included). Now MSC are starting at £849 for 7 nights including drinks and grats, but no doubt that will be for an inside, so tomorrow I'll see the prices for a balcony on a brand new ship.

The Celebrity starting price is for a balcony cabin on the deck just above the “promenade “ deck. The price also includes wifi and gratuities. We are quite tempted as they are calling at at least two ports for each itinerary. Celebrity Silhouette has also just had a serious refurbishment ( well just before the cruise industry was shut down).

• Like 1

Given the number of cruises that are going to be sailing around the UK this summer, I wonder if supply is going to outstrip demand?

For once, those who wait until the last minute might pick up some good deals. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Spike11 said:

The Celebrity starting price is for a balcony cabin on the deck just above the “promenade “ deck. The price also includes wifi and gratuities. We are quite tempted as they are calling at at least two ports for each itinerary. Celebrity Silhouette has also just had a serious refurbishment ( well just before the cruise industry was shut down).

Interesting that price is for a balcony, but if that's deck 6, then a lot of those are obstructed balcony cabins. Still interests us though, even though that price is only for 6 nights.

Edited by peteukmcr

8 hours ago, Britboys said:

Royal Caribbean because of the facilities on board Anthem and our Diamond plus loyalty benefits.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Britboys said:

celebrity silhouette has been refurbished and is one of my fav ships as is the anthem of the seas. I am more loyal to RCCL brands. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Britboys said:

I want to go on one of each 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I'll probably be booking Celebrity for the itinerary and the fact that Silhouette is one of my favourite ships. Also I have a cancelled Fjords cruise in August that was a good deal, and they offer to pro-rata the price for the new cruise.

For @peteukmcr as stated, the price for a balcony on a 6 night cruise starts at £1099 and Concierge from £1249. The latter figure is useful because a 1A regular cabin in the centre of the ship, deck 7 and up, is often just less than the 'from' cost of Concierge.

I've done 4 Disney cruises; 3 of them on the Magic and it is a lovely ship.  The entertainment (if you like Disney that is) is top notch but drinks are expensive.  Like others though, I don't expect those cruises to be a bargain!

• Like 1

I was interested to try MSC but felt their website misadvertised, it stated for a 4 night cruise prices from £499pp fully inc (for one cruise in particular) then I clicked on book and the cheapest cabin was £629pp + £500pp to get the package that includes the fully inclusive package. I have a suit on Britannia for less and a fully inclusive package on Princes for less. As for the port calls, well I'm one of the few who is not interested in them, rather be at see.